SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstoops View Post
No doubt it is hard on them, but I don't have a lot of faith that SYMA did much research on their own product, its limits and easy improvements. I think there are a number of ways it can be improved. For example, if frame piece B were not flat but wrapped around the two motors, you'd get a free heatsink on the hottest part, with free airflow rushing over it. Makes sense, doesn't it?
yes that could have helped somewhat but what i would really like to see if the pcb on the rx and tx side can be hacked in some way by identifying variable resistors that are responsible for throttle, yaw and pitch values and increasing those as well as adding some measurements of the same over time that can produce some data such as motor usage time, performance etc. basically to give a user info in recognizing a failing motor(s).

would it not be nice to just plug the heli into a usb port and have this data via a simple program?
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
yes that could have helped somewhat but what i would really like to see if the pcb on the rx and tx side can be hacked in some way by identifying variable resistors that are responsible for throttle, yaw and pitch values and increasing those as well as adding some measurements of the same over time that can produce some data such as motor usage time, performance etc. basically to give a user info in recognizing a failing motor(s).

would it not be nice to just plug the heli into a usb port and have this data via a simple program?
I haven't gotten into the Tx yet but I would like to do that. I expect it to be pretty straightforward and hackable.

What if I made a hacked Tx that worked like the normal one but you could hook it up to your Windows PC via USB? With a PC program, you could calibrate and adjust the controls, download a record of your inputs during flight, and even bypass the physical controls and drive the heli from the PC. What do you think it would be worth to people?

I made systems like this at my last job, so I'm not just blowing smoke here.
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
I haven't gotten into the Tx yet but I would like to do that. I expect it to be pretty straightforward and hackable.

What if I made a hacked Tx that worked like the normal one but you could hook it up to your Windows PC via USB? With a PC program, you could calibrate and adjust the controls, download a record of your inputs during flight, and even bypass the physical controls and drive the heli from the PC. What do you think it would be worth to people?
i don't know what it would be worth to others since these are 20-30 dollar toys but i would find that highly worthwhile and would imagine anyone else who likes to tinker and mod things would welcome that as well, i think on troubleshooting alone whenever its an issue regarding motors or electronics it would save a lot of time and headaches for users.

and furthermore any hack/mod in that line can probably scale across other heli lines with some modifications obviously at which point it becomes a very interesting proposition and quite a worthwhile effort.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:33 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
i don't know what it would be worth to others since these are 20-30 dollar toys but i would find that highly worthwhile and would imagine anyone else who likes to tinker and mod things would welcome that as well, i think on troubleshooting alone whenever its an issue regarding motors or electronics it would save a lot of time and headaches for users.

and furthermore any hack/mod in that line can probably scale across other heli lines with some modifications obviously at which point it becomes a very interesting proposition and quite a worthwhile effort.
OK, you piqued my interest. I'll probably have a Tx schematic out later tonight.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 09:32 PM
Super Modder!
Buena Vista, VA
Joined Feb 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
OK, you piqued my interest. I'll probably have a Tx schematic out later tonight.
You sir...are amazing.
Ritzone is offline Find More Posts by Ritzone
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:39 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzone View Post
You sir...are amazing.
Aw, now I actually have to do it...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:20 AM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
I've got the Tx schematic but it's not quite right. Later.

Michael
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:49 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,268 Posts
Quote:

Especially yaw rate. Thst is the only thing I find lacking in the R5 equipped helis. If I fly the R5 after I just flew the R3, it feels like I am flying the slowed down replay...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
17 Posts
I found this S107 3CH Mini RC Helicopter online,looks so good,but i am not sure for its price.
What do u think about it?is it worth?
lizzybenny is offline Find More Posts by lizzybenny
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:08 AM
Expert S107 Crasher
Joined Mar 2011
23 Posts
Hi!;Hook is set;10min runs;Usb light?;Parts?;another?

Hi all!!
New S107 owner, caught the bug from my brother in law, got my Blue R5 from amazon for 29$ delivered 2nd day ups on tuesday...the underside of the blue body piece (the 'head' i think?) right before the landing assembly had a small crack.. totally cosmetic, thing charged right up and flies like a dream... got online told amazon and they credited me 9$ back... paid for my 4 pack of picooz rotors AND most of my wall charger!!...20-30 mins to charge sure beats the 50-55 im getting with the usb.. and yes I let the batt cool for at lease 15mins after flight AND after charge.... getting 10-11mins flight SOLID well over 30 flights on the yellow and 10 or so on the new blue...and thats NOT running until anywhere near "dead"... that is just running until it wont hover at half throttle or slightly over.. with the only mod we've done so far is the rear long tail fin we've both removed...
{i have noticed something about the USB charger... the light comes on WELL before the battery is charged... [encountered this with my kindle3 (also a LiPo) the power light on kindle shows amber when its charging.. then goes green when its "charged" according to the manual.. but on the amazon website in the faq the amazon techs say to avoid running it dead but to run it down 80-90% or so, charge and ignore the green light that pops on after about an 1-2 hrs... totaly charge time for kindle3 for 4-5 hours.. ive consistently done this and months later with the wife using kindle for several hours daily we maintain a charge for at least a week/week an a half (and she's an INSANELY voracious reader, reads about 7-8 books a week... i need to get her a syma LOL) while a mass of complaints on amazon show customers complaining about 4-5 hour battery life when "fully charged"... sorry if this got a little off topic but im sharing LiPo intel here and real world results]
Anyhow back to the usb.. well okay you plug the usb in... it lights up bright... you plug in your (fully cooled) s107 and light goes out...40-50 later it comes on again... kinda... starts to flicker at first (at least our 2 both do, yellow usb included with s107) then even once it kind of flashes to actually "on" if you unplug it right then and watch where its plugged into wall adapter (or powered usb port on pc) the light gets waaay brighter when you unplug...but if you leave the thing charging for about an extra 10-15 mins or so AFTER the light stops flickering and comes fully on there is very little or no change in the brightness of the red charge indicator light....took off body and battery was cool to touch (room temp or lower) right after approx 70 min charge.... and we're getting a Consistent 10+ minutes straight.. and i time almost every flight, not estimating here... (can see kitchen timer from living room central area)
Now, please... I'm new here and I don't intend to start (and will decline from participating in) a flame war over differing battery opinions (but also PLEASE share even wildly divergent ideas/plans/schemes/shenanigans....)
I certainly do cool EVERY time after flight AND after charge, even if only to be on the safe side (you tube clip of a tiny LiPo going nuclear is freaking HORRIFYING)....and it's fairly common knowledge that Lithium batteries do not like to be discharged fully
(discharge preventer chip on board on stock cell to prevent?.. bro in law did run his low for first few days running 13-15 mins until literally skimming slowly over ground then even losing that ability.... then, about 3rd day, blades stopped turning at all, unit would not respond to TX, LEDs still flashed when unit was on tho....power cut to motors but leds still active..
{proof batt not fully discharged?...}
so, then his wouldn't take charge with USB (blades twitched when was plugged in but light did not come on after 3 hrs hooked up syma was still being obstinate and ignoring TX signal...

in fact, looking up syma battery info that nite was how i found y'all!!!

but I plugged it into TX and left it for about 2 hrs and it was FULLY charged again, (and back running solid 10's), with me gleaning from here that while opinions differ as far as proper run times (4 mins?!?!?!??! what a tease! syma says 6-8?!?!? NO WAY i could put this down after 4 mins) most all agree that you shouldnt run them past optimal or near optimal preformance
So again.. We both get 10 standard mins fly time on stock cell, with no mod save the back long fin being off... and thats landing when i have to go more than 60% throttle for hover.... anyone else?

enough battery! GET back to the choppa! Loving it! Finally, hovering is a snap... seriously i thought that these little electric mini helicopters were all junk and you couldn't touch one that really flied without shelling out major bucks...id flown about 5-6 of them
(my 7 yr old nephew got 2 different ones for his bday just back in mid february, [dunno the brand but one was a coax...] both broke by the next day and both would barely stay airborne... more like chasing them and frantically panic "steering" to aviod crashing)
....and when my bro in law got his s107 (yellow r5 from x-heli 43$ shipped ups 2 day ouch!) i didnt even try it for almost a week b/c i was 'over' the RC helis....he finally pestered me enough and of course... once i flew it...
I ordered mine later that night!!!... to spend 20-30 (even 40 frankly) for something this easy to fly...that is SOOOOO durable (oh thank you throttle return spring!!!! and hinged blades!!) and so fun and easy to do basic mods or customize... oh man i got it bad!!!!~!
Hoping that Davylah can hook me up with some CF parts similar to the ones djdavies83 has? I sent a message, but I'm not sure if its bad taste for a noob to ask such favors!! haha
ANyone who knows davylah send 'em this way? I might try the plastic method... I saved the clear from the front of the box... but ill save such talk for the "speed mod" thread(s)....
What about replacement main rotor blades? All I can find online is the stock lame "warning!" colored blades... Would LOOOVE some Carbon Fiber 190mm coax blades... anyone? Or at least some black plastic ones? The only black 190mm coax blades ive found have a different mount than the syma (mxr blade" blades i think).... are we stuck with the stock blades? Mine are still in pretty stellar shape (I try pretty hard to avoid blade strikes/clashesand instead prefer to plummet earthwards)
But just for looks/weight, durablilty, coolness factor???
Had to resist the urge to buy another s107.. CompUSA has a pretty neat looking clone (i think.. it's branded "DH-1 Speed Tech" on the body but it lists syma toys as the warranty provider on the site)... is speedtech a syma rebrand?
anyway the pontoon/cannon/led-lights-ala-catamaran on both of the sides are a little much but i love the black with red trim.. green would be awesome too.. dont get to pick the color tho....which is lame:
http://www.compusa.com/applications/...7&sku=W66-0178
real syma? fake? anyone?
any other syma lovers recommend a more powerful one for outdoor use in semi windy area? I gather larger symas aren't as good? (large syma syndrome?)
anyway Hi to all!
I'll be over at the speed mod pages getting "the scoop", that is the "poop" on how to make an s107 loop the loop!!!!~!

Cheers,
Rob
rob23 is offline Find More Posts by rob23
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
Joined Dec 2010
94 Posts
Quote:

I made systems like this at my last job, so I'm not just blowing smoke here.
Given the sheer number of people who have purchased this product (and the relatively large number of multiple offenders placing repeat orders) I think it's safe to say there's a market for anything that complements the S107 or improves upon its performance. Get after it!
onemanswarm is offline Find More Posts by onemanswarm
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:57 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
I've got the Tx schematic but it's not quite right. Later.
not a rush michael, take your time, this would be work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybenny View Post
I found this S107 3CH Mini RC Helicopter online,looks so good,but i am not sure for its price.
What do u think about it?is it worth?

fine if they don't sneak in shipping at the end of the order, then there is a question if you will get a reliable one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23 View Post
So again.. We both get 10 standard mins fly time on stock cell, with no mod save the back long fin being off... and thats landing when i have to go more than 60% throttle for hover.... anyone else?
why don't you post a vid of constant flying 10 min with a stock lipo and it will be believable, 5-6 min is safe and optimal and will give you many flights... as far as outside flying in winds 4 ch will be better.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
People will pay for about anything to go "with" a popular product. Even if it hobbles the thing (former Jet-Ski owner)...or costs 3x what the core product did.

What would be useful is user-adjustable gyro over ride.

What would sell like crazy is a $75 S107 4-channel conversion kit.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:25 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
What would sell like crazy is a $75 S107 4-channel conversion kit.
$75 you got to be joking, you can get a sub micro 4ch today for $40 and in RF to fly outside, a RF kit would be a better option and is more realistic to make it happen.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:12 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Last time I looked Amazon (Xheli I think) were selling S107s for $22.50 (random color selection) and shipped free with "Prime." I'd think the odds of getting one that works is as good or better there than anyplace else.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT