HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves107 View Post
Hi guys,
To save me trolling through all 7700 odd previous posts can anyone tell me if they had a failure of the on/off switch on the heli - and, of course, how they solved the problem?
Thanks
99% of the time it would be the battery is dead, or the wiring in the circuit got disconnected. There is nothing really in the switch itself for it NOT to work. So check wiring which connect switch to the circuit board, then make sure you battery has juice in it.
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:31 AM
Registered User
scorp's Avatar
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHeli11 View Post
but given the advances in battery life, it will eventually be a better outcome: say fly time of 20 minutes or more.
good luck on that wish, if you look at battery advancement over the last 15-20 yrs in relation to laptops and cell phones for example, i am still getting the same amount of usage time of a charge today as back then, they can become physically smaller and put out more juice but usage stays relatively the same.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
good luck on that wish, if you look at battery advancement over the last 15-20 yrs in relation to laptops and cell phones for example, i am still getting the same amount of usage time of a charge today as back then, they can become physically smaller and put out more juice but usage stays relatively the same.
Not truly true. See, today we have SSDs instead of Hard Drives, we have much more energy and power efficient CPUs and GPUs compared to only 3-4 years ago. Today most Macbook Pro laptop have a battery life of about 10 hours, where the hell would you get that 5 or 10 years ago? Anything that is 6 years or older wont get you more than 2-3 hours of battery.

If you read that article about nanocarbon tubes, its obvious that battery is only part of the problem, circuity and components also play the other important part.
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:39 PM
Registered User
scorp's Avatar
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHeli11 View Post
Not truly true. See, today we have SSDs instead of Hard Drives, we have much more energy and power efficient CPUs and GPUs compared to only 3-4 years ago. Today most Macbook Pro laptop have a battery life of about 10 hours, where the hell would you get that 5 or 10 years ago? Anything that is 6 years or older wont get you more than 2-3 hours of battery.

If you read that article about nanocarbon tubes, its obvious that battery is only part of the problem, circuity and components also play the other important part.
sure if you operate in super low brightness, don't use wifi or bluetooth and don't watch videos online which is unrealistic for most users... similarly i am sure you can get 20 min on your s107 today if you spin the blades at low rpm without taking off
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
sure if you operate in super low brightness, don't use wifi or bluetooth and don't watch videos online which is unrealistic for most users... similarly i am sure you can get 20 min on your s107 today if you spin the blades at low rpm without taking off
Not really.. do you own a macbook pro? Am sure you can google for maxed out usage on the macbook pro and how much battery life they get with full brightness and videos and wifi and all. Anyhow the idea here is that batteries still suck as of today..
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:51 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Frank_fjs's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I'm happy with the flight time in an S107 and other similar 3ch birds, you get around 5-6 minutes of solid full powered flight from a fresh battery.

What I dislike is how quickly these small lipos deteriorate and lose power and performance, and eventually die. I don't want a battery that lasts longer in terms of flying time, I want a battery that lasts longer in terms of its lifetime.

Even if some super duper battery came out tomorrow that would allow the S107 to fly for 20 minutes, that wouldn't be useful when the motors caught fire. It's not just the battery that you need to upgrade, it's the motors as well, and that's unlikely to happen in cheap 3ch toys as it would increase their price beyond what most people would be willing to pay, assuming it were possible to design a cheap and small brushed motor that lasts more than 10 hours.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I'm happy with the flight time in an S107 and other similar 3ch birds, you get around 5-6 minutes of solid full powered flight from a fresh battery.

What I dislike is how quickly these small lipos deteriorate and lose power and performance, and eventually die. I don't want a battery that lasts longer in terms of flying time, I want a battery that lasts longer in terms of its lifetime.

Even if some super duper battery came out tomorrow that would allow the S107 to fly for 20 minutes, that wouldn't be useful when the motors caught fire. It's not just the battery that you need to upgrade, it's the motors as well, and that's unlikely to happen in cheap 3ch toys as it would increase their price beyond what most people would be willing to pay, assuming it were possible to design a cheap and small brushed motor that lasts more than 10 hours.
All motors, engines, etc get hot, thats not a good way of judging it performance and lifetime lol

Anyone on these forums put the motors of the s107 to the test and ran them for say 20 minutes non-stop?
Then we could judge things and go from there based on the results, because your easiest and simplest and cheapest solution could just be a heatsink, or just a little better improved motor from Syma, not a biggie.
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:38 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Frank_fjs's Avatar
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Yes, the temperature of an engine IS a good way of determining its performance and lifetime.

That's why there's a radiator in your car, filled with coolant, and sports cars with engines that run faster and hotter have intercoolers. Drain all the fluid from your radiator in your car, drive around on a hot day and tell me how far you get.

In fact, excessive heat is one of the main factors that will kill an engine. Allowing it to run hot for an extended period of time will kill it, especially in the case of the smaller and cheaply produced motors found in an S107 (and other 3ch's).

Keeping an engine cool is key to its survival, and the longer you run an engine for in an S107 in one sitting, the quicker it will die.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 02:53 PM
Registered User
scorp's Avatar
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHeli11 View Post
Not really.. do you own a macbook pro? Am sure you can google for maxed out usage on the macbook pro and how much battery life they get with full brightness and videos and wifi and all. Anyhow the idea here is that batteries still suck as of today..

no i don't use any apple products even though i am a few blocks from their headquarters, regardless their batteries tech is not magical as they suffer from same technical limitations as anyone else and per these apple specs its rated up to 7hrs max on low power usage obviously so 10 is wishful thinking...

in comparison i have a samsung energy efficient netbook for my mobile reqs thats rated at 7+ hrs of usage as its using a 6-cell batt instead of typical 4-cell, in reality on normal screen brightness, wireless on, bluetooth on and watching a few vids here and there i can get a bit over 4hrs, 5 if i am just typing and any games it goes below 4hrs...

in relation to s107 you can install a 240mah today and safely fly for 7-8 min for example but motor temp starts shooting up after 7 min at least inside where the brushes are more prone to melting thus decreasing motor efficiency, effectiveness and lifetime.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
no i don't use any apple products even though i am a few blocks from their headquarters, regardless their batteries tech is not magical as they suffer from same technical limitations as anyone else and per these apple specs its rated up to 7hrs max on low power usage obviously so 10 is wishful thinking...

in comparison i have a samsung energy efficient netbook for my mobile reqs thats rated at 7+ hrs of usage as its using a 6-cell batt instead of typical 4-cell, in reality on normal screen brightness, wireless on, bluetooth on and watching a few vids here and there i can get a bit over 4hrs, 5 if i am just typing and any games it goes below 4hrs...

in relation to s107 you can install a 240mah today and safely fly for 7-8 min for example but motor temp starts shooting up after 7 min at least inside where the brushes are more prone to melting thus decreasing motor efficiency, effectiveness and lifetime.
The newest ones are 7, yes, older generation was 10.

Again, until someone tests these motors to their limits... we can decide then what battery is best for them as is. Dont worry coz as battery life gets better, so will the motors get improved and handle more prolonged fly time.
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:15 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
Hi guys,
I assume the on/off switch on the heli is just a standard micro electronic component.
Could anyone give me a part number and supplier?
Thanks
Daves107 is offline Find More Posts by Daves107
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:59 AM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves107 View Post
Hi guys,
I assume the on/off switch on the heli is just a standard micro electronic component.
Could anyone give me a part number and supplier?
Thanks
Er that's not really a good assumption. But if you were giving it a shot in the dark, you might try Mountain Switch part no. 103-5040-EV. Available from Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...PxTvieOw%3d%3d.

As coincidence would have it, I removed and replaced my switch several times today. Note that soldering this part is nearly impossible with a soldering iron. I use this instead http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-wa...112-96289.html, and this kind of technique:

Reflow soldering using hot-air rework station (2 min 7 sec)


If you haven't done hot air reflow soldering before, I would suggest practicing on something you don't care about, e.g. a dead computer. Remove and replace a part a few times. The solder on the board is a lead-free type with a significantly higher melting point than the lead types. Note that for the switch, the plastic parts are in danger of melting before the solder does. Keep a sharp eye on the switch tab. If it starts to bubble, take the heat off immediately.

Michael
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Last edited by michaelstoops; Mar 19, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
Thanks Michael - from the info you have given me I can see that I would have no chance of soldering a replacement switch into place.
I think my best bet would be to buy another heli complete and keep my existing one for spares.
The problem with the switch is that the lever has gone all loose and wont bring the charger into circuit reliably - I have to jiggle it.
I'll have a closer look at it in a couple of weeks when I return from holiday - maybe I could use my fifty years experience as a mechanical engineer and give it a gentle thump with a centre-punch and a five pound hammer!

Regards,
Dave
Daves107 is offline Find More Posts by Daves107
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:52 PM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves107 View Post
Thanks Michael - from the info you have given me I can see that I would have no chance of soldering a replacement switch into place.
I think my best bet would be to buy another heli complete and keep my existing one for spares.
The problem with the switch is that the lever has gone all loose and wont bring the charger into circuit reliably - I have to jiggle it.
I'll have a closer look at it in a couple of weeks when I return from holiday - maybe I could use my fifty years experience as a mechanical engineer and give it a gentle thump with a centre-punch and a five pound hammer!

Regards,
Dave
Hot air reflow soldering really isn't hard. You can do it!

The configuration of the switch is to move the battery between the flight system and the charging port. As long as you don't attempt to run the helicopter with a charger attached, there's no problem with using an iron to solder in a jumper so that the charging port is always connected. The switch functions then only to dis/connect the flight system.

Come to think of it, you could also use a cutting tool like a dremel to cut the middle tab off the switch and use a soldering iron to patch in a new switch. The new switch would have center pole joined to the VCC terminal, and outer poles would go to the outer pads from the original switch.

I am now working on an unofficial technical manual for the S107, made possible by boards donated to me. If you feel charitable, send the old PCB or the whole bird to me. I could either fix it or sacrifice it to research.

Michael
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:55 PM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Question for long-time S107 owners: have the helicopter mechanical parts varied as the circuit boards have gone through revisions?

Michael
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale 3-channel Micro IR S107 Metal HoneyBee Helicopter No.ES0107 (with Gyro) mictopwin Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 8 May 09, 2011 01:47 PM
Discussion V-max .vs. Falcon-X .vs. Syma 3 S107? 7immy Mini Helis 12 Apr 07, 2011 04:11 PM
Discussion Mosquito 3CH Radio Control Helicopter Version 2 by Syma Wayno-san Micro Ready-to-Fly 39 Dec 26, 2010 02:36 PM