SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:37 AM
Joined Sep 2007
107 Posts
It's not a bug, it's to set Throttle Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
I still think it's wrong. You don't need to move the throttle stick up/down for an S107. But case-fit could have been an issue with getting the throttle fully to "zero."

I remember seeing this same "I hadda cut out the case" thing mentioned for an S032 somewhere though, which is a different matter.
deeheli is offline Find More Posts by deeheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:51 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1300 View Post
Its nice to know where I can get parts for my 'Cobra'. I LOVE the Lil' thing!
Too bad the BIGGER Version doesnt hold-up as well as the S107.
(at least thats what I've been reading)

Isn't the Cobra something like 3 times the cost of the SYMA?

Note: Photo below from the Cobra Toys website
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:11 PM
The sparkle in your China
Joined Feb 2011
108 Posts
Ronzo is offline Find More Posts by Ronzo
Last edited by Ronzo; Mar 16, 2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Deleted -- inadvertent double post
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHeli11 View Post
You exactly said it, its the current LiPo technology which is the limiting factor, but lets face it, you would want on a fully charged battery to have about 20 to 30 minutes of fly time on this little Helli, if the battery-technology would allow it of course. 5 min is really short, and so the whole discussion/idea and argument about extending in any way possible the total fly-time on these is 100% valid and logical. So until that LiPo or other battery technology is available, I dont think sitting and waiting while doing nothing is really the way to go: we would be giving up any potential for improvement.
The market is the real engine driving development here. There are many toy buyers that are not as aware of technical limitations as you are that see short flight times as a reason not to buy. There is a lot of development going on to solve this issue, since it also concerns all manner of "green" electric vehicles.

We hobbyists/toy lovers are not even a blip on the radar screen compared to the worldwide automobile industry. No matter how vocal we might wish to be, there are a lot louder voices than ours clamoring for improvement in this area. It'll happen when their needs are served -- not before then.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzo View Post
The market is the real engine driving development here. There are many toy buyers that are not as aware of technical limitations as you are that see short flight times as a reason not to buy. There is a lot of development going on to solve this issue, since it also concerns all manner of "green" electric vehicles.

We hobbyists/toy lovers are not even a blip on the radar screen compared to the worldwide automobile industry. No matter how vocal we might wish to be, there are a lot louder voices than ours clamoring for improvement in this area. It'll happen when their needs are served -- not before then.
Agreed, and sometimes its just limitations by current research and technology.

Check this out: http://www.mobilechoices.co.uk/news/...fe-110311.html
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
Old Mar 16, 2011, 02:46 PM
Joined Feb 2011
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHeli11 View Post
Agreed, and sometimes its just limitations by current research and technology.

Check this out: http://www.mobilechoices.co.uk/news/...fe-110311.html
Interesting that the nanotubes mentioned increase battery life by reducing the load of the powered device rather than by improving battery capacity or reducing battery weight by making existing power sources smaller and lighter. Do you think that we've reached the achievable (and cost-effective) limits of battery technology? Of the alkali metals, only Cesium and Francium are more reactive -- and their molecular weight is much greater than Lithium.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:51 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
I think from what I got, is that they are just using really really thin ("nano" thin) electrical conductors (made from Carbon, hence the carbon nanotube naming) instead of the current much thicker metal conductors, and that by itself is what is saving a lot of battery power. I dont think they are touching the battery itself, but rather all the circuits between the battery and other components, including for example chip to chip components. If this really works, combined with actual improved battery materials or technology, then that s107 if yours would stay in the air for like days and days non-stop. Compared to current 5 minutes, its a joke.
Last edited by RCHeli11; Mar 16, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Isn't the Cobra something like 3 times the cost of the SYMA?

Note: Photo below from the Cobra Toys website
I paid $50.00 for mine. New. Have you check'd on ebay and Amazon?
james1300 is offline Find More Posts by james1300
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:22 AM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Virtually building my S107...
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Old Mar 17, 2011, 04:42 AM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailrider View Post
mojomad - do you ship to South Africa?
Yes i can.Royal mail airmail.Expect to pay around 1 extra on each item to cover the cost of the shipping.
mojomad is offline Find More Posts by mojomad
Old Mar 17, 2011, 06:41 AM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
723 Posts
you want to fly longer times just have several lipos and do a fast change system...but...a big but you riosk to grill the moters as they run hot from just one flight!!!

urs
urs is online now Find More Posts by urs
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:50 PM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Digital model is almost done.

Michael
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Last edited by michaelstoops; Mar 17, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
45 Posts
sure hope my local RC shop has turnbuckles that fit this baby, the stock ones i have pop off overly easy. and are hard to find,
ltcane418 is offline Find More Posts by ltcane418
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urs View Post
you want to fly longer times just have several lipos and do a fast change system...but...a big but you riosk to grill the moters as they run hot from just one flight!!!

urs
True, but as better battery alternatives come into place, so will better and more solid motors would be required. They will be more expensive and probably heavier, but given the advances in battery life, it will eventually be a better outcome: say fly time of 20 minutes or more. We are lucky that they are cheap, and you can get 2 or 3 of them, but that might not apply to all cases if we are talking about cell phone batteries and such. You wont be able to have 2 or 3 cell phones or laptops for example. Also, instead of having 3 or 4 RCs of each kind, you would have 1 of each, therefore more categories available, and different ones at that.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
3 Posts
Hi guys,
To save me trolling through all 7700 odd previous posts can anyone tell me if they had a failure of the on/off switch on the heli - and, of course, how they solved the problem?
Thanks
Daves107 is offline Find More Posts by Daves107