Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:16 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
My yellow S107 has been charged on this charger ever since the first two charges done using the Tx. My red S107 since day one. My blue U807 since day one. So far 80, 45, and 30 flights each respectively.
in that case i am gonna try the usb chargers from my 6010s on the s107 since they charge a 150mah in 20 min so will see if the usb circuit is regulating or the heli board.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
SYMA 107 R3 controller

I have an extra controller for an R3. Anybody need one?
Terry
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:12 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Gonna Punch My SYMA in the Face!

Buyer beware of "Xheli Refurbs" - I'm not blaming XH, they probably got returns, checked them out, fixed any broken parts and resold them as used/reburbished at 19 bucks.

I'm blaming myself.
But I am so angry that I wanna punch my S107 in the face.

Tonight it was running erratically, doing nice pirouettes that I didn't put into the stick. It did some leap frogging -- also unauthorized. But mostly it would just cut out and fall from the ceiling area to the floor.
My designated fly room has 12' ceilings and a tiled floor, so it did not exactly land neatly.

First, I unplugged the kids' XBox360. Maybe it was causing interference.
Then I closed the window curtains and pulled the blinds shut on the sliding door.
Still, it acted like a stubborn wild horse.
I killed the lights...
No light... Now I'm basicallty flying the SYMA in the dark, but it kept on cutting out, doing pirouettes and all the while it was mocking me.

I could feel it saying: "Ha ha! You think you can keep running my LiPo down til I can barely get off the floor? Not his time pal!"

Do I change the board?
Kill all electrical power to my house while flying?
Take it outside, set it on fire and send it into the night sky?

Suggestions anyone?
Thankfully, I had 4 fully-charged eFlite batts so I vented my frustrations on my mSR.
I am calmer now, but still need some advice.
Thanks,
Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:22 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verewolf View Post
Thanks Mike!

Went ahead and ordered it from a member's store on eBay for $7.60 shipped from VA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390277378337
Yeah, VW!
We have been starting to use Don (dwhitmore) a lot lately. He's an honest seller.
That charger is basically a wall wart for a USB connector charger. I have one for my Apple iPod. When I plug it into the iPod wall wart, a drained S107 takes about 43 minutes, versus 58-63 off my computer port.
So if Donny is selling a stronger wall wart, then you could see reduced charge times,

My only question: hasn't it always been a rule of thumb that a trickle charge will provide a "deeper charge" while a heavy charge is only a "surface charge"?
(I learned that at "Diehard Battery School" (Globe Union) when I worked for Sears Auto Center while attending USF - Tampa.)
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:59 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
For what it's worth I have one USB charge cable that opens easily. Here's what I see inside (back is covered by a square of something gold-colored, so we only get to see the component side of the board). This one is for non-Syma helicopters (as the charge plug makes obvious).

The only IC seems to be a 3-pin device, yet common types of 3-pin linear regulators won't handle the small drop from USB 5V to Li-Po charging voltage. I can't identify the part marked H1A yet. Between that part and the USB connector is the LED. The USB + & - (unconnected) are the unused USB signal pins.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:01 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromartie View Post
Just received two more Syma s107 today and now have a total of 3. One of the new ones has a slight issue. If I don't have the trim knob all the way right, it slowly rotates left. Is there a way to fix this so I can leave the trim knob in the middle? The other two fly perfect with the knob in the middle.

Thanks.
Pop the canopy off and take a look at the battery to make sure it didn't move out of the holder/cradle during shipping.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:06 AM
Want heli used electonics
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
For what it's worth I have one USB charge cable that opens easily. Here's what I see inside (back is covered by a square of something gold-colored, so we only get to see the component side of the board). This one is for non-Syma helicopters (as the charge plug makes obvious).

The only IC seems to be a 3-pin device, yet common types of 3-pin linear regulators won't handle the small drop from USB 5V to Li-Po charging voltage. I can't identify the part marked H1A yet. Between that part and the USB connector is the LED. The USB + & - (unconnected) are the unused USB signal pins.
I have a hard time seeing how the H1A would be a voltage regulator. Only one pin of it is directly connected to one of the power supply pins, the one on GND. Its connection to +5 comes through a 470 ohm resistor and an LED, which would cause a good voltage drop. That seems pretty odd for a voltage regulator, don't you think?

The lower two pins on the H1A have a 2.2 ohm resistor between them and I really don't know what's up with that. Would a shunt regulator have that?
michaelstoops is offline Find More Posts by michaelstoops
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:37 AM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
All,

I'm looking for used S107 parts to do research on. I want to figure out how they work and I'd be happy to share what I find. I've got a mostly-complete trace of the R5 PCB from photos, but I need the real thing to be sure. The photos I have don't show the power connectors very well and I need to remove the chip and other big parts to look for some traces and vias that might be hiding under there. I know there are three vias under the chip but I can't tell where they go.

I'd take wrecked parts but if I can come up with some live ones I'll see if I can figure out what the unlabeled parts are or at least what they do.

If I can get good enough information I'd like to create aftermarket electronics for the S107. Perhaps a replacement PCB with different features. At the very least, I figure I'll put a tiny MSP430F2013 microcontroller onboard in place of the IR remote control receiver. I'd synthesize the IR control signals to take control of the aircraft. It would be fun to put some optical sensors on the S107 and have it do some tricks like seeking an IR beacon. Put the IR beacon on your dog or kids and have it follow them around. Fun!

Anybody have spare or toasted S107 electronics to donate to analysis for the benefit of our collective knowledge? I'd just buy them but my unemployment means a severe lack of $$, although it does mean I have plenty of time for frivolous hobbies. )

Michael
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:23 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Take it outside, set it on fire and send it into the night sky?
a vid of that would be highly rated here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
My only question: hasn't it always been a rule of thumb that a trickle charge will provide a "deeper charge" while a heavy charge is only a "surface charge"?
it has been determined that once the light goes on fully on the usb charger the current is stopped and with it any further charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstoops View Post
If I can get good enough information I'd like to create aftermarket electronics for the S107. Perhaps a replacement PCB with different features. At the very least, I figure I'll put a tiny MSP430F2013 microcontroller onboard in place of the IR remote control receiver. I'd synthesize the IR control signals to take control of the aircraft. It would be fun to put some optical sensors on the S107 and have it do some tricks like seeking an IR beacon. Put the IR beacon on your dog or kids and have it follow them around. Fun!
great idea and i am sure there are a lot of creative ideas that can be implemented on these birds and i am sure there are lots of users here with dead birds, i would give you mine for free but all mine work so far and hopefully for the sake of experimentation at least those that wanna get rid of some parts do not expect close to retail prices for junk.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:23 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelstoops View Post
I have a hard time seeing how the H1A would be a voltage regulator. Only one pin of it is directly connected to one of the power supply pins, the one on GND. Its connection to +5 comes through a 470 ohm resistor and an LED, which would cause a good voltage drop. That seems pretty odd for a voltage regulator, don't you think?

The lower two pins on the H1A have a 2.2 ohm resistor between them and I really don't know what's up with that. Would a shunt regulator have that?
I'm betting they just have a resistor to limit the current, then a zener or something to cut it off at 4.2V. Closer the battery gets to 4.2v, the LED starts lighting and less current gets to the battery till full brightness. Not that efficient of a way to charge. But your not paying much for it either.

On my phoenix, the LED is ON during charge and turns Out when done.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:54 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
For all we know it might be something like a TL431 Programmable Shunt Regulator which do come in a 3-contact SOT package.

The charge cable in the pictures is of the "LED on until charged" variety.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2010
148 Posts
All this stuff to a heli newbie like me makes for very good reading, and I have certainly learned a lot since I stared visiting here.

Karol
Karolh is offline Find More Posts by Karolh
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:34 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Quote:
The charge cable in the pictures is of the "LED on until charged" variety.
Ah. It's an NPN transistor then. The lower-left pin is the base, the LED is on the collector, and the emitter is on the ground. While there's current flowing from the + to - wires, the 2.2 ohm resistor next to the ground causes the base-collector junction to be forward-biased, allowing current to flow through the LED. In this theory, the H1A is not a voltage regulator.

Could be wrong though.

Michael
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:09 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Mar 2011
184 Posts
Looks like Terry is hooking me up with some spare S107 electronics. I'd still take more if people have something to spare.

So, do you think I should post a thread on my S107 reengineering or do it on my RCG profile blog?

Michael
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Both-
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec