Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
chargerr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
scary vid for sure makes me think twice falling asleep with the birds left on charger... so what you are saying is that the syma ac charger is charging it in half the time and in some way storing more of a charge compared to the usb charger?
chagr

Charged and flew several cycles to verify my info. The charge time is right at 20 -21 minutes - checked the ac charger and its' stated output is 4.8 volts and 800 ma. The USB is 500 ma or less, which probably accounts for the shorter charge time.

My flight time varied - constant flight with the tail motor running continuously gave a 6.5 min. flight. Landing practice with less tail motor use - more hovering and descent gave a flight time of around 9 min. So flight time depends on how you are flying. Just the shorter charge time makes the ac charger a good deal at about $12 with shipping. It's also possible that the ac charger is a little more efficient than the USB charger.
HuhWhat is offline Find More Posts by HuhWhat
Last edited by HuhWhat; Mar 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: add search word
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:17 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
shaving 20-25 min off the charge time using that syma ac charger is an interesting proposition if you have only one s107, if more then multiple chargers do add to the cost if charging concurrently but i may pick one up, china suppliers should be on the cheapo end.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Brand new 107 won't hold a charge.

I just got this YESTERDAY. I've charged it and flown it maybe 6 times. Now it won't take a charge. I got this one to replace another 107 that had a physical defect. I'm going to try the charging cord from that one first, and if that doesn't work, swap out the batteries.
Any other suggestions?
Terry
P.S I also have an LS-109 which I actually like better than the 107.
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:17 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
shaving 20-25 min off the charge time using that syma ac charger is an interesting proposition if you have only one s107, if more then multiple chargers do add to the cost if charging concurrently but i may pick one up, china suppliers should be on the cheapo end.
I use the charger that came with my S032 with both of my S107s and my U807 with no ill effects. Charge times range from 10 to 15 minutes for all of them.

The only thing keeping me from using it with other small helicopters is that some use a round coaxial barrel power connector and some have reverse polarity.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2007
105 Posts
I'd like to cut some time off the 1 hour USB charging.

I did check eBay for a charger.
Any other suggestions on where to get a Syma AC charger?
Verewolf is offline Find More Posts by Verewolf
Old Mar 09, 2011, 09:24 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verewolf View Post
I'd like to cut some time off the 1 hour USB charging.

I did check eBay for a charger.
Any other suggestions on where to get a Syma AC charger?
This is basicly what I have (about 25 min. charge time). I think you can get them cheaper if you shop around. This link for reference only but, I'm sure I paid about the same: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16800998137

Why would you want to pay more for a "Syma" type wall wart?

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
This is basicly what I have (about 25 min. charge time). I think you can get them cheaper if you shop around. This link for reference only but, I'm sure I paid about the same: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16800998137

Mike.
Thanks Mike!

Went ahead and ordered it from a member's store on eBay for $7.60 shipped from VA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=390277378337
Verewolf is offline Find More Posts by Verewolf
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:14 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatwaterMG View Post
I have purchased a car/home charger for my bird. My question is, on the charger it is stated; Output:5v=1000mA, is this to much juice being sent to the USB charging cord? Will this damage the charge cord and the 150mA lipo battery? thanks for your help. Just want to be safe.
it should work and probably in half the time then via usb port as has been reported
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:15 AM
Dallas,TX
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
Thanks SCORP for the reply.........

Started yesterday, I found a Targus USB multiport hub in our junk box of electric gadgets/accessories that a person collects over time. I have plugged the house current adapter into the hub for power and then plugged the S107 usb cord into the hub and I also yesterday purchased a S108g Super Corbra, so I now charge both birds at the same time. Charging time for the S107 has been 35 to 40 minutes,no change in time from charging on the computer usb port, the S108g charges at 25 minutes everytime.
thanks again for the reply.
FlatwaterMG is offline Find More Posts by FlatwaterMG
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:26 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post

Mike.
Try here for under 2 bucks delivered. They have this one available with the Euro plug and others too.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/univers...-240v-ac-20808

And this one, likewise with other style plugs too:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-pow...-us-plug-47342
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatwaterMG View Post
Started yesterday, I found a Targus USB multiport hub in our junk box of electric gadgets/accessories that a person collects over time. I have plugged the house current adapter into the hub for power and then plugged the S107 usb cord into the hub and I also yesterday purchased a S108g Super Corbra, so I now charge both birds at the same time. Charging time for the S107 has been 35 to 40 minutes,no change in time from charging on the computer usb port, the S108g charges at 25 minutes everytime.
thanks again for the reply.
I would expect as much.

The USB charge cables have a LiPo charge management chip in them that is probably programmed for a fairly low charge current limit, perhaps around 100mA. So it doesn't matter much how much current your USB power source can supply.

The Syma AC chargers probably have a higher current limit set.
Last edited by SubtleT; Mar 09, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:36 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
The USB charge cables have a LiPo charge management chip in them that is probably programmed for a fairly low charge current limit, perhaps around 100mA. So it doesn't matter much how much current your USB power source can supply.

The Syma AC chargers probably have a higher current limit set.
thats what i am thinking as per user flatwater even though his charger puts out 5v/1000mA its still charging in the normal 35-45min range therefore it appears that using a wall plug with syma usb adapter is relatively the same as using a normal 500mA usb port, avoiding the syma's usb charge cord such as with the s032 wall charger provides much faster charges, what is the output on that ac charger?

I am also curious if those faster charges will shorten the 150mah lipo life... so far the cheapest s032 wall charger i found is around $8.50 shipped.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydec View Post
I just got this YESTERDAY. I've charged it and flown it maybe 6 times. Now it won't take a charge. I got this one to replace another 107 that had a physical defect. I'm going to try the charging cord from that one first, and if that doesn't work, swap out the batteries.
Any other suggestions?
Terry
P.S I also have an LS-109 which I actually like better than the 107.
Wow! Turned out to be a defective cord.
Does anybody need a controller for an R3?
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
I am also curious if those faster charges will shorten the 150mah lipo life... so far the cheapest s032 wall charger i found is around $8.50 shipped.
So far so good.

My yellow S107 has been charged on this charger ever since the first two charges done using the Tx. My red S107 since day one. My blue U807 since day one. So far 80, 45, and 30 flights each respectively.

I thought I had seen the chargers for about $5 before shipping but I can't even find that now. Might almost be cheaper to buy them bundled with spare S107 blades from Amazon for $12.50 shipped (yelow blades) or $14.75 shipped (red).
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
Just received two more Syma s107 today and now have a total of 3. One of the new ones has a slight issue. If I don't have the trim knob all the way right, it slowly rotates left. Is there a way to fix this so I can leave the trim knob in the middle? The other two fly perfect with the knob in the middle.

Thanks.
cromartie is offline Find More Posts by cromartie