HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:33 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
i would think that a way to test if there is a regulator on the s107 board is to try to charge the lipo w/o battery protection circuit on it and if it does not bubble up then it does have some kind of regulator, i don't know if that is the case on the s107 or not but a few of us discovered on another non syma model when we got the units with installed lipos w/o battery protection on the actual lipos that they all bubbled up after a charge or two except when charged off the tx which showed that the tx was regulated and heli board not.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 05:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
I've got a s107 which has developed got some problems.... can someone please help me out. I can't find a post a with similar problem.

Probably after one too many crashes, the top rotor's main gear started to grind. The main gear on the inner rotor shaft appears to have somehow dropped down a couple of mm so that it doesn't quite align with the next gear. Once the gears align it flies ok as the upward force keeps the main shaft gear up. It is not that the gear has slipped down the shaft as it is still fixed solidly. I assume it is something to do with the connection at the top of the inner shaft.

I thought that to make the gears align again, I should force the gear up the shaft a little so that it would better align with the other gear. I tried this, and it stopped the grinding, but then the two screws at the top which hold the rotor assembly onto the shaft didn't align with the little groove in the shaft and the top rotor wouldn't spin. I readjusted the gears back to their original alignment but now I cannot get the top screws that hold the shaft to grip and the top rotor doesn't spin with the shaft. Help!

I think I need to buy a new inner shaft but could someone please confirm this for me. It seems that the two screws that hold the top rotor assembly onto the inner shaft are very sensitive to over tightening so perhaps that is what I have done?
akuaku is offline Find More Posts by akuaku
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:29 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
a simple way to realign the gears/shaft if it slipped out of alignment is to take off your landing gear and using the thumb on the bottom gear and index finger on top of the flybar apply enough pressure where it slips back into place... regarding the screws that lock the top blade assembly to the inner a light lock in place is all that is necessary on the groove part of the shaft, do not over tighten as you will strip the screws.

if you do need a replacement shaft you can get it here:

http://www.focalprice.com/YE176B/Mai...ter_Black.html
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:00 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
I ended up carefully using superglue to secure the top blade assembly. It just kept on coming loose, the screws didn't seem to hold it firmly in place and I believe this resulted in a slight TBE.

Now that it's glued, it hasn't budged once and the TBE has been eliminated.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 07, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
25 Posts
noob question here

if you solder the motor wires the opposite way will that make the motor spin the opposite way? i know the rotors spin in opposite direction but can you make motor A work for motor B?
d1daily is offline Find More Posts by d1daily
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:48 PM
Houston, The Republic of Texas
Joined Oct 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1daily View Post
noob question here

if you solder the motor wires the opposite way will that make the motor spin the opposite way? i know the rotors spin in opposite direction but can you make motor A work for motor B?
Probably, I reversed the wires for the tail rotor so I could use a blade with more pitch. Worked like a champ.
RedHorse1 is offline Find More Posts by RedHorse1
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
25 Posts
haha thanks, it worked!
d1daily is offline Find More Posts by d1daily
Old Mar 07, 2011, 09:47 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
I think I have read somewhere about people reversing the main motor polarity on a PicooZ sonthat they could invert the frame, while the motor works both ways they designed for one direction only, they burn out quickly I think I have a some B motors in my spares, where are you?
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Did anyone help you yet? I've got to Syma 107s and the polarity on the charging port is OPPOSITE on the two. In other words, the + pin is on the right on one heli, the left on the other. The charging cables are incompatible. I suggest you use a volt meter to check the polarity of the battery at your charging plug then make sure your charging cable provides the same polarity. I'm guessing not. You might need to modify the plug or the cable.
Ancientpilot is offline Find More Posts by Ancientpilot
Old Mar 07, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
3 Posts
Did anyone help you yet? I've got two Syma 107s and the polarity on the charging port is OPPOSITE on the two. In other words, the + pin is on the right on one heli, the left on the other. The charging cables are incompatible. I suggest you use a volt meter to check the polarity of the battery at your charging plug then make sure your charging cable provides the same polarity. I'm guessing not. You might need to modify the plug or the cable.
Ancientpilot is offline Find More Posts by Ancientpilot
Old Mar 08, 2011, 05:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
23 Posts
Charger info

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydec View Post
I have twenty five years experience in electronics and believe me, there IS a charging regulator on the board. If you charged a battery straight from the USB port you VERY lucky that it did not catch fire or actually explode.
I STRONLGY advise anyone-
DO NOT try to charge any battery from an unregulated source unless is is specifically made to do so, which these batteries are not. The results COULD be catastrophic.
Terry
Here's an over charged li-poly video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...0570423705609#

The USB port is designed to provide 4.75 to 5 volts and up to 500 ma of current. A 150 mah battery charges in about 30 minutes, which means a charging current around 300 ma. Here are the measured voltages at the output of the provided SYMA USB charger:

No load - light on: 4.66 volts
Begin charge - light off: 4.23 volts
Charged - light on: 4.47 volts

This USB charge provided a flying time of about 6 1/2 minutes. With the SYMA ac charger I have been getting 9 minutes flying time.

Never ASSUME anything!
HuhWhat is offline Find More Posts by HuhWhat
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:10 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientpilot View Post
I've got to Syma 107s and the polarity on the charging port is OPPOSITE on the two. In other words, the + pin is on the right on one heli, the left on the other. The charging cables are incompatible.
This just doesn't sound right. Syma chargers are sold separately for use on these helicopters and there is never any mention of polarity differences.

Are you sure one of yours isn't some sort of "fake" S107? People have mentioned clones many times in these threads.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:31 AM
Dallas,TX
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
A question for HuhWhat or anybody.........

I have purchased a car/home charger for my bird. My question is, on the charger it is stated; Output:5v=1000mA, is this to much juice being sent to the USB charging cord? Will this damage the charge cord and the 150mA lipo battery? thanks for your help. Just want to be safe.
FlatwaterMG is offline Find More Posts by FlatwaterMG
Old Mar 08, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuhWhat View Post
Here's an over charged li-poly video:
The USB port is designed to provide 4.75 to 5 volts and up to 500 ma of current. A 150 mah battery charges in about 30 minutes, which means a charging current around 300 ma. Here are the measured voltages at the output of the provided SYMA USB charger:

This USB charge provided a flying time of about 6 1/2 minutes. With the SYMA ac charger I have been getting 9 minutes flying time.
scary vid for sure makes me think twice falling asleep with the birds left on charger... so what you are saying is that the syma ac charger is charging it in half the time and in some way storing more of a charge compared to the usb charger?
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Found it stuffed my mailbox!

Just unpacked & flew my new, blue S107.
What an absolutely splendid helicopter! I, who never could fly the things, (and I have tried them on & off since they first came out. All they ever did was flop over & lay there, humping & jumping & thumping), this thing took off to a hover, stays where you put it in the air, and I can land it like a feather, where I choose to. I am enthused!
One of the things that make this one work well, I think, is the spring-loaded throttle, so you have positive control of the lift, at all times. Also,
they obviously have a very good gyro.
All this on 3 channels! I'm wondering how my new 4 channel Loach will do!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31