HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevIW View Post
My once perfect flying Yellow S107 has developed a fault after a collision with an on coming dinning table! I broke the large tail finn but more worryingly when hovering it now loses power for a split second and then seems to regain power again. I seem to remember a post about the drive shaft slipping?? Can anyone point me in the direction of a fix?
Thanks in advance
Kev
This is similar to what happened to me. Fixed it by removing and re-tightening the very top 2 screws holding the inner shaft. The inner shaft also has a small section cut into it at the top into which 1 of those 2 screws must fit to achieve maximum grip. Without the 2 screws being fitted correctly you get TBE or a lack of power in the top blades, causing loss of altitude. This may not be your exact problem, but might be worth looking at.

Also, I have a blue S107 with a broken canopy, but canít find where to buy a blue replacement canopy; everyone just seems to sell yellow or red.

Think RC has them in stock, but because Iím located in Australia they will only ship via Bongo, who want $38 shipping for such a small item.

Anyone know of any suppliers anywhere who can supply this item at a reasonable cost?
Phoenix Five is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix Five
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:44 AM
Boothwyn, PA
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Five View Post
This is similar to what happened to me. Fixed it by removing and re-tightening the very top 2 screws holding the inner shaft. The inner shaft also has a small section cut into it at the top into which 1 of those 2 screws must fit to achieve maximum grip. Without the 2 screws being fitted correctly you get TBE or a lack of power in the top blades, causing loss of altitude. This may not be your exact problem, but might be worth looking at.

Also, I have a blue S107 with a broken canopy, but canít find where to buy a blue replacement canopy; everyone just seems to sell yellow or red.

Think RC has them in stock, but because Iím located in Australia they will only ship via Bongo, who want $38 shipping for such a small item.

Anyone know of any suppliers anywhere who can supply this item at a reasonable cost?
As much as I dislike the company, Xheli.com sells the blue canopy for $4. They are out of stock right now though:

http://www.xheli.com/blueheadcover.html
zeros is offline Find More Posts by zeros
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymmylt View Post
I'm having charging issues with one of my s107 all of a sudden. I was flying it and it started to run weak so I went to plug it into the charger and the charger stayed lit. I thought that was weird and tried my other one and the charger light turned off like normal (i.e. charging). I then tried again and it still wouldn't charge. I tried the other charge cable and even hooking it up to the controller and nothing is getting this thing to charge. I'm guessing the battery doesn't need to be replaced as it still has power in it and honestly, the s107 is fairly new - only been charged maybe 10 times. It doesn't appear to be the charger as the problem persist across all the chargers and they work with my other s107. I've tried to leave it plugged in overnight just incase it was charging anyways but come morning, there's not enough power for it to fly so I'm guessing power isn't getting from the charger to the battery for whatever reason.

Any clue to the likely problem? The circuit board? I'm handy with a soldering iron though don't have enough of a electrical engineering background to search down the problem without a clue where to look first.
Check the charging port on the chassis. One on the pins might have been pushed back far enough so that it's not making contact. Mine arrived that way. I was able to push the pin out but that created a break in the board. After several attempts to repair the problem I just bought a new board.
Terry
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:21 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydec View Post
Check the charging port on the chassis. One on the pins might have been pushed back far enough so that it's not making contact. Mine arrived that way. I was able to push the pin out but that created a break in the board. After several attempts to repair the problem I just bought a new board.
Terry
Excellent point, those things are fragile. Pushed both pins in on my S032 when it was new and still working properly. Very touchy. In that case what really happened was the plastic socket body pulled right out still attached to the charger plug. Re-assembly was what pushed the pins "back" (i.e. in this case not in far enough).

I shaved down the locking nub on top of the charge plug with a sharp knife. That prevented re-occurrence.

But I'm always very careful to make sure I have the plug the right way 'round for the socket now and I am very careful about plugging and unplugging.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:57 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
This is similar to what happened to me. Fixed it by removing and re-tightening the very top 2 screws holding the inner shaft. The inner shaft also has a small section cut into it at the top into which 1 of those 2 screws must fit to achieve maximum grip. Without the 2 screws being fitted correctly you get TBE or a lack of power in the top blades, causing loss of altitude.
I really HATE this design. I've encountered this problem on 4 different Syma helicopters. They use pointed screws, that are too short and they lose their 'bite' in the plastic holes that they screw into.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:19 PM
Oh no not another one
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire UK
Joined Jan 2011
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
I really HATE this design. I've encountered this problem on 4 different Syma helicopters. They use pointed screws, that are too short and they lose their 'bite' in the plastic holes that they screw into.
I have found that you can usually restore the "bite" in these holes in many models with a drop of Superglue run around the hole and left to dry for a few minutes.
eyemdee is offline Find More Posts by eyemdee
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Itís certainly not a good design; I believe many people have probably been plagued by TBE not realising these screws were not positioned correctly. Every time you remove or tighten the screws more plastic is stripped, making the problem worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeros View Post
As much as I dislike the company, Xheli.com sells the blue canopy for $4. They are out of stock right now though
Thanks for the link, but the regular shipping cost to Australia for this item would normally be about $5, Xheli shipping cost is 4 times higher. Iím currently increasing my fleet so there are a lot of heli parts I would buy from Xheli but their international shipping costs are just mind boggling. They also seem to be out of stock for a lot of items anyway.

Iíll have to keep searching and hope poor bluey can hold up a while longer.
Phoenix Five is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix Five
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:51 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the link, but the regular shipping cost to Australia for this item would normally be about $5, Xheli shipping cost is 4 times higher. Iím currently increasing my fleet so there are a lot of heli parts I would buy from Xheli but their international shipping costs are just mind boggling. They also seem to be out of stock for a lot of items anyway.

Iíll have to keep searching and hope poor bluey can hold up a while longer.
blue s107 and its canopy is only available for the US market so you will probably have a difficult time finding it anywhere else but who knows that may change over time.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2010
94 Posts
Anyone know where I can buy a TX? Anyone here consider selling a spare?
onemanswarm is offline Find More Posts by onemanswarm
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:00 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbite View Post
Also, I pulled the trigger on a $25 eBay 107 from tinydealdirect for work, thanks for the tip! Should be good fun when upper management is out.
I received this copter a few days ago and I'm not too pleased with it so far. It is the China market version and is noticeably different in several ways.

1 - new flybar (no removable weights)
2 - blade material is different, not necessarily bad but definately different
3 - the right stick on the remote feels clunky, doesn't move as smoothly
4 - the gears are louder and "grindier" than my other two

Most disappointing is the flaky behavior while flying. It drops out of the air randomly and will throttle up randomly for about a half a second after I've cut throttle on the remote. It will also continue rotating for about a half a second, again after returning the stick to center, at random. I tried different batteries tonight with the same results.

I'll likely bring one of my other TXs to work and see if that clears up the problem. Will report back but it will be a while as I really only get a chance to fly it on my late nights, Monday & Wednesday.

Were I in the market again I'd spend the extra $5 for the US sourced one.
devilsbite is offline Find More Posts by devilsbite
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Unbelievably Frustrating

This is going to be a little long, but interesting-

So, I thought I'd like a hobby helicopter and bought one from China on eBay. It was a SYMA S-107. It took two months to get here. Out of the box it had a defective charging port on the chassis. One of the pins was too short. I was able to push it out and the helicopter flew a few times, long enough to get me hooked. Then it just stopped charging. I bought a new board from a company on Amazon, but the one they sent was for a different 'copter. They sent the right board, which I installed tonight. Now, to anticipate the obvious, I can solder a gnat's leg to a fly. Okay, maybe not that, but I've been a repair technician longer than most of you have been alive. Alright, some of you. I CAN solder a wire as thin as a hair.
I carefully soldered the wires to the board, re-assembled it and charged it up. So far, so good.
However, it won't fly.
I've checked everything. It's the right replacement board, an R3. There are no shorts. External voltage makes all of the motors work. It just won't fly.

And that is UNBELIEVABLY frustrating.

However, I have LOTS of spare parts.

So, Since I HATE being frustrated-
Where can I get an S-107, at a decent price, that won't take forever to arrive?

And does anybody want the transmitter, since it will be included with the new one?

Terry
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Jan 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
So, Since I HATE being frustrated-
Where can I get an S-107, at a decent price, that won't take forever to arrive?
Got mine on Amazon for $27.75 free shipping. Got here in less than a week.
And if there's a problem it's easy to return.
Verewolf is offline Find More Posts by Verewolf
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verewolf View Post
Got mine on Amazon for $27.75 free shipping. Got here in less than a week.
And if there's a problem it's easy to return.

+1. Ordered and received in 2 days on 2 occasions (Amazon Prime is awesome btw, free 2 day shipping). And nary a problem have I, except for operator error. Oh, and price varies from $27-30.
weakspleen is offline Find More Posts by weakspleen
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Jan 2007
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weakspleen View Post
+1. Ordered and received in 2 days on 2 occasions (Amazon Prime is awesome btw, free 2 day shipping). And nary a problem have I, except for operator error. Oh, and price varies from $27-30.
I bookmarked the page with the S107 I was looking at
and saw that the price and seller changed every day when the item is "Fullfilled by Amazon".
Amazon must rotate sellers when they fullfill an order.
Just checked now and Amazon is selling it for $26.08 with free shipping.
Verewolf is offline Find More Posts by Verewolf
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:32 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Check the soldering points for the 2 battery leads. My black lead fell off after about 5-6 flights when new.
The leads still seem to be connect to the battery. Besides I'd assume that if a lead was disconnected from the battery I wouldn't still have (a minimal) amout of power remaining - that the copter would just be completely dead?

Quote:
Terry
Both pins look good and don't appear to be pushed back at all. I've also reflowed the solder on the connector to the charging port just incase there was a bad solder joint just incase there was a non visible break but didn't seem to help either.

I'm really beginning to think this copter might become a parts copter for my other one unfortunately

Thanks for your suggestions!

Chy
chymmylt is offline Find More Posts by chymmylt