SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:31 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
One thing for sure: I am way, way happier with this than the low-end micro 4CH units I've tried. But that's another story altogether.
What other 4CH's have you tried? Tell your story!

On a side note, what's the difference with the R12 board? I have an R3 which piros very fast, I heard they slowed that down with the R5, just wondering how the R12 is different?
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined May 2010
151 Posts
Just out of sheer curiosity, what is the average life expectancy of a 107 in running time. Not referring to crash damage but just from general wear and tear. Just wondering of how long I have before investing in a new one for when this one gives up the ghost.

Karol
Karolh is offline Find More Posts by Karolh
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:54 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
What other 4CH's have you tried? Tell your story!

On a side note, what's the difference with the R12 board? I have an R3 which piros very fast, I heard they slowed that down with the R5, just wondering how the R12 is different?
I'll have to get this story together to post it. Suffice it to say these are flimsy 19 gram birds with cowling/fuselage and "tail feathers" made of very thin brittle plastic.

I was warned off both, only after purchase and before delivery though - doh!

One has never worked, puffed battery day 1 (going to substitute an S107 LiPo when I get to it). The other is new today and similar... but flies at least. Tail feather snapped already (scotch tape for now - lol) but it seems to desperately need forward/back trim and the TX only has Left/Right trim control. The tiniest indoor breeze from forced-air heat here can throw it wildly left, right, back, or to the ceiling. I have not yet navigated it through a doorway w/o incident.

Of course a big piece of the puzzle is that I'm only used to 3CH flying too. These were meant as cheapie "basic trainers" for 4CH operation, but I'm not sure they'll make it.

As far as I can tell so far the R5 works just like the R12, though the R5 might possibly be a teeny fraction "peppier" I suppose. I need more "hours in the cockpit" on it to say more.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:58 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Only thing on the "new" red one: more gear noise. Might just need break-in, might be a concern. I just don't know yet.
sometimes it can take several flights to break them in, i had another non syma bird that took over 10 flights to break in as i was getting barely 4 min of flight on a 180mah lipo out of the box until it broke in fully, and its not just the gears but the brushes inside the motors that need some time to become rounded and friction-free... i read the other day that these brushed motors consume significantly more juice from the lipo before they are broken in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolh View Post
Just out of sheer curiosity, what is the average life expectancy of a 107 in running time. Not referring to crash damage but just from general wear and tear. Just wondering of how long I have before investing in a new one for when this one gives up the ghost.
hard to say but assuming your lipo doesn't cave in. next weak spot is the actual motors as those brushes inside wear out... in my experience on one s107 i started feeling decrease of power after 60-70 flights on another after about 150 flights.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:01 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Just out of sheer curiosity, what is the average life expectancy of a 107 in running time.
Depends on how often you fly, how well you look after the battery and helicopter (by allowing adequate cooling periods etc) and what condition your helicopter was in from new. Sometimes you get a dud battery or motor right out of the box.

If you fly many times a day, every day, I would estimate about a 3 month life expectancy before the battery dies or a motor burns out.

If you only fly on the odd occasion, perhaps two or three times a week, it's not uncommon to get 12 months plus use out of your S107 assuming you take proper care of it.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:55 PM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
655 Posts
I'll bump this thread, it has important info, but I just got my heli, is flies great, I've limited myself to 4-5 min flights. One question, can I replace the stock battery with another s107 one? I see they sell for $2 on ebay, kinda good deal instead of buying another heli eh? It states that it comes with the pcb soldered already. I'd like to have a honest view on it, since instead of buying a same heli, I could save up the money for a 4 channel one or whatever and keep my s107 in action. Your thoughts?
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:03 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
you don't need another lipo if you are flying 4-5 min and taking care of that one you have it should last you well over 200 flights, life expectancy on them is well over 400 charge cycles
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka_99 View Post
I'll bump this thread, it has important info, but I just got my heli, is flies great, I've limited myself to 4-5 min flights. One question, can I replace the stock battery with another s107 one? I see they sell for $2 on ebay, kinda good deal instead of buying another heli eh? It states that it comes with the pcb soldered already. I'd like to have a honest view on it, since instead of buying a same heli, I could save up the money for a 4 channel one or whatever and keep my s107 in action. Your thoughts?
Well, look for advice before buying any 4CH. There is some crap out there as I know too well.

You can replace the battery in an S107 and you might even add connectors if you think you'll do this a lot. My guess is something else will give before you put in a 3rd battery unless you're rough on them though.

You can find S107s cheap with some shopping. Call it $15 to $20 depending on whether you get a naked one or one with another Tx in the box. I'm not sure there is a "good" 4CH out there for $45 - but with my experiences I won't claim to know a thing about 4CH units.

I'm not sure that 4CH thing they sell with two outboard fans really qualifies. Yes it uses 4 channels, but I don't know if the flying experience is the same as on other more.... conventional 4CH coax machines.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2005
589 Posts
ordered new batteries

I contacted DWhimore through ebay and arranged to send him a postal money order for five of the 240mah batteries. I will only need three but will do some testing and breaking-in before i install them in one S107 and two 6010's. Have used mail/uspmo's in past with only one glitch (on rcg)
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Dec 2006
464 Posts
Quote:

Karol
I have a similar helicopter (a 6020, non-gyro) that has lasted me 2 years so far and I've only had to replace the flybar once because it broke in a freak crash and the lipo once because one day I decided to fly it til it could no longer climb. I keep my flights under two minutes and always charge it before each flight. I don't know how many flights its had but I used to fly it 4 or more times a day when it was new so maybe a couple hundred all together.
overedline is offline Find More Posts by overedline
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:47 PM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
you don't need another lipo if you are flying 4-5 min and taking care of that one you have it should last you well over 200 flights, life expectancy on them is well over 400 charge cycles
It'll be sad to see it die! I'll monitor it then, I'm already on 10 flights in 2 days, so exciting. But I respect the cool down period + 5 min flights.

Quote:
Well, look for advice before buying any 4CH. There is some crap out there as I know too well.
I was thinking about something in the Solo Pro line. Looks pretty good and costs a tad less than some other helis. Either that or I'll go for an Msr, I see it comes at $100 BNF since I already have a Tx that came with the champ.

Thank you.
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim e View Post
I contacted DWhimore through ebay and arranged to send him a postal money order for five of the 240mah batteries. I will only need three but will do some testing and breaking-in before i install them in one S107 and two 6010's. Have used mail/uspmo's in past with only one glitch (on rcg)
I didn't even know Donnie sold bulk batteries. Were they reasonably-priced?
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2005
589 Posts
$13.74 shipped

Just sent it Tueday- don't have the item # handy but listed on his ebay site- 5-240mah 3.7v batteries (actually says a lot more but that is the essence)
jim e is offline Find More Posts by jim e
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
new heli is always a better option as you never know if the problem is somewhere else and not in the motors
Hmmm...new heli is going to be a tough sell to the missus. She is hesitant to support my new obsession. I'm thinking a couple new motors may be a more discrete acquisition, shall we say?
onemanswarm is offline Find More Posts by onemanswarm
Old Feb 24, 2011, 06:47 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
Hmmm...new heli is going to be a tough sell to the missus. She is hesitant to support my new obsession. I'm thinking a couple new motors may be a more discrete acquisition, shall we say?
yea how about an equal value gift card for her to this store, luxury shoe brands and heavily discounted prices, mine has been going nuts with that store lately and has been complaining less