Ooops!!!
Farnborough, UK
Joined Jan 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Actually, "10 + 1 free"

http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-r...-aa-batteries/

LOL, I love the marketing concept.....a "baker's ten"?

It was 10 + 2 free, that's inflation for you One pack did two txs.
smokey325 is offline Find More Posts by smokey325
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:19 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey325 View Post
....One pack did two txs.....
Yes, it appears that some savvy bean counters have embraced the strategy of selling items in prime-number lots.

That increases the likelihood and frequency of customers having to buy additional lots. (Is there any device that requires precisely eleven AA batteries?)

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2011, 03:21 PM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Well used, a few dings from flying into furniture, and a few parts removed and trimmed. Still flies great, and an amazing amount of fun for $30.

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old Feb 09, 2011, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
7 Posts
Painting my S107

I am thinking of customizing my S107 somewhat by painting. But I have not done much of this type of stuff since I built model cars when I was a kid (many years ago) and would like some direction from some of you who have painted the S107.
What type of paint should I use? Is regular model paint that you would use for plastic models fine? I don't have an airbrush or skill with one so I plan to just use aerosol cans of paint if that is acceptable.
What type of preparation should be done to the S107 parts? Just remove stickers and clean them well? Or do they need to be sanded to rough up the surface slightly? If so, what type of sandpaper should I use?
Will painting the plastic body parts and blades have any adverse effect on the weight and/or handling?
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks.
AndrewFH is offline Find More Posts by AndrewFH
Last edited by AndrewFH; Feb 09, 2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added question
Old Feb 09, 2011, 05:02 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Brushed on some semi-gloss black acrylic from my son's modeling paint supply. A silver canopy would be nice!

Ron
Last edited by rsasaki; Feb 09, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined May 2010
151 Posts
Flying one of these little S107's is just about the most fun one can have on a $30.00 budget. So far since getting mine about two weeks ago I fly it at least three times each day and so far it has exceeded all my expectations. I started off keeping the early flights to about 3 minutes and now am up to doing full 5 min flights. It has had several dumb thumbs crashes and so far it has taken them without any noticeable damage. This is one tough little super flying heli.

Karol
Karolh is offline Find More Posts by Karolh
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
81 Posts
Two things-
1) I got the rotor working. I'm pretty sure it was the bare wire. Now to get it back together.
2) How do you post photos of your work in this forum?
Terry
terrydec is offline Find More Posts by terrydec
Old Feb 09, 2011, 06:52 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
I used a little Goof-Off to remove the printed markings on the rotor blades. Maybe I'll spray paint them black. Also, since this little helicopter travels well for indoor flying, I bought a usb car charger on Ebay, took it apart, and attached some connectors so I could use my 3s lipos as a portable power supply. Works great, and only uses about 80mAh per charge.

Ron
Last edited by rsasaki; Feb 09, 2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added pictures
Old Feb 09, 2011, 07:01 PM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydec View Post
How do you post photos of your work in this forum?
Terry
Hi Terry,

Look for the Manage Attachments button below the text box where you type your replies. There you can choose the pictures you wish to upload.

Ron
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
17 Posts
I have a question with Syma s107 Helicopter!
How do you correct the rotation of the bottom blades of the Syma s107?
My Syma s107's bottom blades stick and don't rotate sometimes. I checked the gears but i still don't know what's the cause of it.
brewsterbedford is offline Find More Posts by brewsterbedford
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
Holy cow rsasaki, you must have one good camera with a fast shutter to capture those hover pictures and see the full main blade.
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Dec 2010
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsasaki View Post
I used a little Goof-Off to remove the printed markings on the rotor blades. Maybe I'll spray paint them black. Also, since this little helicopter travels well for indoor flying, I bought a usb car charger on Ebay, took it apart, and attached some connectors so I could use my 3s lipos as a portable power supply. Works great, and only uses about 80mAh per charge.

Ron
Ron - Nice work. Looks great! In reference to AndrewFH's post, have you noticed any adverse effects on weight balance from the paint job? Did you need to treat the plastic on the canopy before you brushed it? When can we expect to see that silver canopy?
onemanswarm is offline Find More Posts by onemanswarm
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:48 AM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanswarm View Post
have you noticed any adverse effects on weight balance from the paint job?
A thing to keep in mind when painting these is that you add a couple of grams to the overall weight of the bird itself which is not a big deal when done on the canopy and other decorative parts however when done on the blades that weight gain may be multiplied via rotational forces thus creating more stress on blade linkages as well as heat on the motors causing premature burnout.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
Holy cow rsasaki, you must have one good camera with a fast shutter to capture those hover pictures and see the full main blade.
Of course, I wanted to fly the S107 for the pictures , so I had my 8-yr. old son snap the photos with an old Nikon D40, using the built-in flash.

Ron
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:58 AM
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
A thing to keep in mind when painting these is that you add a couple of grams to the overall weight of the bird itself which is not a big deal when done on canopy and other decorative parts however when done on the blades that weight gain may be multiplied via rotational forces thus creating more stress on blade linkages as well as heat on the motors causing premature burnout.
Too right. I have noticed a very small increase in vibration owing to the painted rotor blades, so I have ordered a new set of blades. The old set I painted also had some good nicks on the leading edge, which of course didn't help either. I think the best option is to keep them stock or remove the printed graphics and just leave them white, and check for imbalance/vibration.

I find it irresistible to mod this little gem of a helicopter. It's almost as fun as actually flying it.

Ron