HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:32 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,684 Posts
Only two or three flights will tell, but if it's working now then it sounds like the PCB has saved the cell from damage.

Hey sorry if I sounded a litlle morbid in my last post, it's bee a weird noting with no much sleep.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2010, 08:30 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
641 Posts
Hey no problem, my fault for not being attentative. I have actually had a 4 cell 2200mah batt explode on me, luckily I charge all my big batts in a big covered clay flower pot filled with sand.

Yellow and Red Syma 107's back in stock at X- Heli.
malden86 is online now Find More Posts by malden86
Last edited by malden86; Dec 21, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:11 AM
Houston, The Republic of Texas
Joined Oct 2010
106 Posts
Who is finding spare parts here in the US? Interested in the shafts and gear train.
RedHorse1 is offline Find More Posts by RedHorse1
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:26 AM
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Bought a genuine one today and when held together there are a good few differences. The new one is an R5 and it flies a lot easier than than the clone.

ETA modelzone where i bought the first one which was the clone have just told me they still need to speak to head office but they buy direct from syma so it genuine.
slapsalmon is offline Find More Posts by slapsalmon
Last edited by slapsalmon; Dec 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
Hey all, new to the site and the hobby and love this forum. Got 2 S107's and 1 Firebird to start and am looking at getting a LAMA for an outdoor chopper, anyone have a review on the LAMA ? Also I ordered some 240 MAH batteries to replace the stock 150 MAH in these birds, does anyone know the max MAH this size heli will hold. I've seen 400 MAH in 3.7 volts so technically they would work but I assume the board only supports up to a certain size and obviously weight is a factor. Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas to you all.
deucekilo7 is offline Find More Posts by deucekilo7
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
Rookie Hopeful
Massillon, Ohio
Joined Sep 2007
116 Posts
Led Lights

Somewhere I read that disconnecting the LED in the front of the S107G will increase the flying time to about 9 minutes. Is this true and if so how do you disconnect the LED ?

This is my first and only helicopter, the Syma S107G.

Paul
air4prs is offline Find More Posts by air4prs
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
Houston, The Republic of Texas
Joined Oct 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air4prs View Post
Somewhere I read that disconnecting the LED in the front of the S107G will increase the flying time to about 9 minutes. Is this true and if so how do you disconnect the LED ?

Paul
I seem to recall someone on the board quantified the drain from the LED and it was minimal. No real gain from disconnecting it. I also recall someone adding nav and strobe LED's and didn't seriously affect the flight time. I suppose just cutting the wires would do it if you want to disconnect.
RedHorse1 is offline Find More Posts by RedHorse1
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:22 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air4prs View Post

Paul
LEDs don't take much power at all. I really doubt disconnecting the nose LED is going to give you 3+ more minutes of fly time. If that was the case, then that would equate to the LED taking 1/3 the total battery power ... can't see it.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
Luckily it did not catch fire, I guess the PCB board did it's job. It still works but I was wondering if the battery performance will be affected.
If the LiPo protection circuit and the USB charger are working correctly then you could probably leave the charger on forever. Once the red light goes on in the USB charger, the charge voltage is about 4.2 volts and the current going into the battery is zero.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsalmon View Post
Bought a genuine one today and when held together there are a good few differences. The new one is an R5 and it flies a lot easier than than the clone.

ETA modelzone where i bought the first one which was the clone have just told me they still need to speak to head office but they buy direct from syma so it genuine.
You have a photo of that clone? What was different about it that made you conclude it was a clone?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
Nederland, Noord-Holland, Krommenie
Joined Nov 2010
421 Posts
Enthusiastic newcomer

Welcome deucekilo7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucekilo7 View Post
...looking at getting a LAMA for an outdoor chopper, anyone have a review on the LAMA?
Do you mean a Syma Lama? Syma actually has 2 Lama's in their range, a S003 and S011. "Lama" is the most common name in R/C helicopters (IMO), so you need to be more specific. Almost every manufacturer has a "Lama" in their range, either named as such or just styled to resemble the Alouette II "Lama".

Quote:
...does anyone know the max MAH this size heli will hold.
To be honest, I'm not much of a battery expert, but AFAIK any 3.7v battery should work, the most common battery upgrade seems to be to fit a 240mAh battery, but general consensus is that bigger batteries is a waste of time, rather just get more heli's!

Quote:
Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas to you all.
I live to serve and Merry Christmas to you too. And a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

BTW check out the FAQ (post #1 in this thread) it might answer some of your questions.
To find review/threads on specific models, try googling [rcgroups make model]
Always works for me!
Quagga is offline Find More Posts by Quagga
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:46 PM
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
You have a photo of that clone? What was different about it that made you conclude it was a clone?
ill get some photos of the differences up later. The first thing was the intruction booklet was in badly translated english and the box was in french. Then i noticed the charging socket was round.

After that i had a good look and noticed the end caps on the skids were black instead of white and the screws were in the wrong place. The board didn't have any ROHS logo or say s107 on it. Now upon looking at it beside the new one I got with R5 on the board there are a number of small differences.

Without this forum I probably wouldn't have known.
slapsalmon is offline Find More Posts by slapsalmon
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6 Posts
got my s107 on Friday

i picked up the s107 that was on a display shelf at a local store. i was and still am impressed with the construction of this little bird at a very decent price. it is a good trainer in the sense that it is stable and can hover easily if you are going too fast or getting to close to something.

i have owned a few trainer planes but did more crashing and repairing then flying. other then those cheapo ufo's that only go up and down i have zero experience with a helo (ex-military) or heli as i've seen it called on these forums.

after only two days and numerous flights i was ready to mod this thing to make it faster and or more responsive. i removed the throttle spring in the controller and that was a biggie. next i did the bb in the nose which helped a bit because it seems like this thing wants to hover too much and i had to give a full forward command on the thumbstick for it to go forward. i removed the the weights from the flybar but didnt notice much of a difference in performance but did get the TBE effect. i plan to do a battery mod and picooz rotor too.

i had some battery issues with it not getting a good charge as of yesterday evening. i have been following some of the steps on this forum but my battery seemed to be dying. i didnt time my flights but i did turn it off when it would not climb right away. eventually my bird would not climb after a full charge so i left the heli on overnight so the LED lights would slowly drain the battery. i got up this morning, charged it and was wreaking havoc in my tiny apartment once again. i am no electrical engineer but it appeared to show signs of a negative charge on the battery. my thinking with the LED lights was that it would do a slow(er) discharge. in my experience quick charging and discharging does not exercise your battery correctly. batteries are funny sometimes too so i'd probably only recommend this to someone who already has battery problems.

as of 20 minutes ago, it's still going. i have chipped a section out of my blinds, chopped myself in the foot, and broken most of the red tail decorations
aranja is offline Find More Posts by aranja
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:48 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranja View Post
i had some battery issues with it not getting a good charge as of yesterday evening. i have been following some of the steps on this forum but my battery seemed to be dying. i didnt time my flights but i did turn it off when it would not climb right away. eventually my bird would not climb after a full charge so i left the heli on overnight so the LED lights would slowly drain the battery. i got up this morning, charged it and was wreaking havoc in my tiny apartment once again. i am no electrical engineer but it appeared to show signs of a negative charge on the battery. my thinking with the LED lights was that it would do a slow(er) discharge. in my experience quick charging and discharging does not exercise your battery correctly. batteries are funny sometimes too so i'd probably only recommend this to someone who already has battery problems.

as of 20 minutes ago, it's still going. i have chipped a section out of my blinds, chopped myself in the foot, and broken most of the red tail decorations
Interesting that the overnight lipo drain did not kill it, your best bet is to just replace the lipo as they are quite cheap... and yes the tail fin is usually the first thing that breaks on those in learning to get a feel for it.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
94 Posts
Please help!

Santa swung by early and left me an s107. Naturally, I took it out for a few spins so I'd be good and sharp by Christmas morn to impress the kids by not crashing into their faces. Unfortunately, now it seems I'm semi-grounded.

If I had to guess, the problem seems to be the transmission or reception of the IR signal from the controller to the heli. The heli starts to take off but suddenly stops and drops. It'll restart (briefly) any number of times but doesn't always pick up the signal and always loses power completely after 2-3 seconds when it does.

I crashed it a handful of times the past two days and flew maybe a dozen sorties to full battery drain in 48 hours. Charged all but once by USB. Tried fresh batteries in the controller. Heli is fully charged. Tried cursing at it. No avail. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

p.s. sorry if this exact same topic is posted somewhere in this thread. I made it like 25 pages and then just abandoned all hope and decided to throw myself at the mercy of the forum.
onemanswarm is offline Find More Posts by onemanswarm