HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:55 PM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
My Buddy just bought that one, it actually flies pretty good! The TX comes with no throttle spring which is good. I like it because it reminds me of the avatar aircraft.
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:32 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
It does look cool.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:37 AM
United States, TX
Joined Dec 2002
307 Posts
Another S107 clone?

http://www.dailysteals.com/Default.aspx
gdenton3 is online now Find More Posts by gdenton3
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie D View Post
With all the different size copters out there, has anyone tried a slightly wider/longer set of blades on the 107 to improve flight times? More lifting surface means less strain on the motors. Just curious.
I actually did try that for the Huey Project. I ordered some S009 blades which are about an inch longer to try to attain more lift to get the stupid Huey body off the ground. However HayabusaHeli is correct. They add too much mass to the rotors and bog down the engines. They DO provide an insane amount of lift (minimum throttle gave lift to skeleton body, no hover!), but at the price of inevitably burning out the motors quite faster.
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:40 AM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdenton3 View Post
That's a very interesting product description.
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:48 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
looks like a clone..
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Find vids of it flying (the "S107" with side motors)...they look very overweight...I wonder how long the drive motors live? won't buy one to learn, myself.

The viddys I've seen, L/R motion is very weak, but smoother than a slider-"swash" copter.
Watching from a distance.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
The "Product Description" really raises eyebrows! I believe it's an S107, just not branded as "Syma". From what I've read, there's really but a relatively small number of manufacturers that mass produce these toy helis.

Say you have a toy or hobby distribution company for example, and would like to sell S107s. You could approach the manufacturer, and negotiate with them how many you would like to buy, and if you would like to have them "private label" it for you.

But then, there are "clones" that are merely copies of the real thing. And most of the times, they tend to be of inferior quality to the original.

Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Last edited by edwong3; Dec 12, 2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:57 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a knock off ... hey, it has a "1 year warranty" ... LOL. I'd like to see someone collect on that claim.

http://www.dailysteals.com/Daily-Dea...e-Feature.aspx
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Say you have a toy or hobby distribution company for example, and would like to sell S107s. You could approach the manufacturer, and negotiate with them how many you would like to buy, and if you would like to have them "private label" it for you.
I think that is how the Fireblade came to be ... someone paid whoever makes these for their own "brand" of the S107 platform.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
5 minutes should work OK for 1) and 2) above.
thanks

last question on subject of batteries.

after fully charging battery how long will the lipo hold charge [without use] before needing to be topped up?
heliRC is offline Find More Posts by heliRC
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:34 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliRC View Post
thanks

after fully charging battery how long will the lipo hold charge [without use] before needing to be topped up?
If the battery is in good shape it should hold a full charge for at least a day or two. If you go a long time without flying it, just put the charger on it to top it off ... doesn't hurt it.

Also, you should always give it a full charge before putting it away for a while.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:43 PM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliRC View Post
thanks

LiPo's are very good about that, I have left the LiPo's for my rc truck sitting for 4-5 weeks and they haven't lost a significant amount of voltage.

A tiny battery like this (150Mah Vs 5000Mah for my truck) would show more signs of having drained a little but you shouldn't see too much reduction over short periods of time.

The more important thing is that you don't drain the batt too far, but I'm leaving that subject alone as it's already been beaten like a dead horse....
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 01:58 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Nov 2010
2,381 Posts
Quote:
If the battery is in good shape it should hold a full charge for at least a day or two. If you go a long time without flying it, just put the charger on it to top it off ... doesn't hurt it.

Also, you should always give it a full charge before putting it away for a while.
Actually I've heard from another user here that storing them for longer periods at full charge or very low charge kills lipos, they should be stored somewhere half full which is what manufacturers do anyway with some charge in them already but never full, its just a precaution, you can take a look in jkd335 thread regarding that.
scorp is offline Find More Posts by scorp
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:49 PM
No. Calif Bay Area
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a knock off ... hey, it has a "1 year warranty" ... LOL. I'd like to see someone collect on that claim.

http://www.dailysteals.com/Daily-Dea...e-Feature.aspx
The copter in the box (upon close scrutiny of the picture) is NOT an S107 while the pictures of just the heli are S107 pictures (likely not their's as they look like stock photos).

The "band wagon" is getting crowded and seems there are folks trying to "steal" the momentum the "real" S107s have generated. I have to agree with KB that the "shine on the S107 rose" is starting to fade as the real ones slide in quality while the "cloners" attempt to cash in on the public's ignorance of what is what....

With everyone (including me) catching "micro heli fever" it will be fun seeing all the new products appear and have us try and find the "next S107".....(yet to be found....)
Duck05 is offline Find More Posts by Duck05