SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:40 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2010
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaanfan View Post
Also with all this reading I find myself confused on whether it's better to swap out the original battery for a 240mAh or not. Read some saying not worth it, just get more s107s and then others saying they've done this and it's great.
dont bother. the +-'s are not definitive but a couple of points to consider are the extra run time means the motors get hotter (this is argued but in essence some testing shows after 6mins or so the rate they heat up goes up, and note its the temperature inside the motor thats important and none has measured that!) and the extra weight means more stress on the motors so they burn out quicker, again none conclusive but I wouldnt bother.
Sm1thson is offline Find More Posts by Sm1thson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:14 AM
Joined Dec 2010
11 Posts
on about flight no 10 (this is my nephews xmas presnt but i'm not wrapping it up yet )

amazing little helicopter

1.. what is the recomended cool down time between flying and re-charging after a 5 minute flight

2. what is the recomended cool down time after charging the s107 before flying?

3. have managed to break the tail fill - below the tail rotor, but have not noticed any change in performance....is it actually worth replacing (looks ok as it was a clean break) ?
heliRC is offline Find More Posts by heliRC
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
S107 is all about Robo-Precision, not speed.
Very true, of course.

In fact, I have been buying my first S107 with this on mind. When it had come being so slow, I was almost only using it for precise landings. My S107 defined new meaning of slowness and with fly times about 3 minutes I got bored rather quickly. Someone here pointed out it is that slow that he is able to fly it with his eyes closed. I can say my eyes start closing when I fly it. Maybe it is the right time for the tail propeller mod.
HF Dave is offline Find More Posts by HF Dave
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:41 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
I can't advise on the cooling off times but I had flown mine alot after the tail fin snapped and I didn't see any notable difference, as it's a pressent I would say replace it or, even better keep it for yourself and buy your nephew new unused one, then you can fly together!
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:49 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaanfan View Post
Hi! Always loved r/c but never really considered heli's. Saw an s107 somewhere and it looked pretty solid so started looking into it. Long story short I've had it for two days now, 12 or so flights, and read many, many pages in this and other threads. Seems I have another hobby now to add to the pile. Fantastic fun!

Anyway, read a bunch here and did the searches...Looking for any Canadians experiences on where they've found the cheapest parts. I've already challenged myself with flying it in too small a room which resulted in a broken tail fin and the thought of paying 4bucks plus 4 bucks shipping or whatever they variously charge for .25 cents of plastic makes me shudder. This particular 'injury' is mostly cosmetic and can be fixed with a little glue but would love to know the best source for parts. I have read of good experiences and free shipping with EnjoyHobbies.biz...is that my best bet?

Also with all this reading I find myself confused on whether it's better to swap out the original battery for a 240mAh or not. Read some saying not worth it, just get more s107s and then others saying they've done this and it's great.

Have it on good authority that Santa's bringing me a second s107 for Christmas. Joy!
Where abouts are you in Canada?
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Dec 11, 2010, 09:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
In the 6010 thread we discovered that the trim setting has big influence on flight behavior. If the trim is quite a bit off center, the motors will run not as fast as they could, and you lose a great deal of climbing power.
It sounds interesting. I have just tried this and my 6010 is not affected. I have one really extra agile so it could be the reason. There are few more of them boxed here because we sell them so I will check a different one later.

The toy grade helis always come different to each other. They fly and behave VERY differently. It is usually not possible to use the remote control for another one of the same brand/model, etc. I have mentioned this about 6010s earlier. Now, owning two Syma S107 helis I can confirm I cannot swap the RCs between them. They are different revisions and from different sellers. Both are originals as far as I can judge.
HF Dave is offline Find More Posts by HF Dave
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:59 PM
Joined Dec 2010
21 Posts
Best price parts to Canada? Bigger battery?

Thanks hayabusa, I'd seen the number bandied around but hadn't looked into it. 6010 like a great package with all the spare parts and such. It does seem 20 or so cheaper than s107's. Unfortunately the first time I saw a 107 was in a discount store for 30cdn...they had quite a few. By the time I learned more about them and decided I wanted to get one they were all gone of course.

scotsoft; thanks for the links! Thats exactly what I was looking for...dealextreme type super cheapy HK stuff...knock-offs, whatever. Just really cheap. My wife is from HK and her sense of thrift has rubbed of on me over the years, and now I get great satisfaction from finding the best deal lol.

Thanks Sm1thson, will take that into consideration. I think if I had a few more heli's I might be willing to experiment and have some fun, but at this point best to just enjoy the way they are and work on flying them better.

Hi Redfisher; I'm in the Lower Mainland, Vancouver area.

Boy this is a high traffic thread!
ngaanfan is offline Find More Posts by ngaanfan
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:06 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Dave View Post
It sounds interesting. I have just tried this and my 6010 is not affected. I have one really extra agile so it could be the reason. There are few more of them boxed here because we sell them so I will check a different one later.

The toy grade helis always come different to each other. They fly and behave VERY differently. It is usually not possible to use the remote control for another one of the same brand/model, etc. I have mentioned this about 6010s earlier. Now, owning two Syma S107 helis I can confirm I cannot swap the RCs between them. They are different revisions and from different sellers. Both are originals as far as I can judge.
Do you have the "Eagle" or the other canopy types? Might be that there lies the difference. If I move trim full left or right the heli won't climb at all with full throttle, when a few minutes into the flight. When I move the trim closer to center, you hear the motors revving up, and climbing ability is restored again.

Btw, I have a rev3 and rev5 S107, and can control one with the TX of the other, and the other way around, as long as I select the right channel. My red rev3 107 is locked on one channel.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

Did I put the right number sticker on this or what?
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:49 PM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post

Did I put the right number sticker on this or what?
I don't think you post enough pictures. You can do better than that!
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:56 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salazam View Post
I don't think you post enough pictures. You can do better than that!

More helicopters photog'd...

Here's a few thousand more.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Dec 11, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: How's this?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:00 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliRC View Post
on about flight no 10 (this is my nephews xmas presnt but i'm not wrapping it up yet )

amazing little helicopter

1.. what is the recomended cool down time between flying and re-charging after a 5 minute flight

2. what is the recomended cool down time after charging the s107 before flying?
5 minutes should work OK for 1) and 2) above.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 11, 2010, 07:58 PM
Winchester, KY
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Larger/longer blades?

Hi Group,

I've enjoyed reading this thread as it has lots of good information that has kept me from making some mistakes. I'm a new member and have just received my 107. I'm up to post 81 of the 300+ so it could be that my first question has already been answered.

With all the different size copters out there, has anyone tried a slightly wider/longer set of blades on the 107 to improve flight times? More lifting surface means less strain on the motors. Just curious.

Second question: With all the members out there that have multiple copters of different makes/sizes, what would be the top 5 models you would suggest as a second or third copter? I've heard the Firebird is good and it looks to be very similar to the 107. I really like the performance of the 107 and may just buy a 2nd one, but wondered if anyone had a top 5 of favorite models? Can be sport models (looking like the 107) or semi-scale. Keep flyin!

Biggie D
Biggie D is offline Find More Posts by Biggie D
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:12 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie D View Post
With all the different size copters out there, has anyone tried a slightly wider/longer set of blades on the 107 to improve flight times? More lifting surface means less strain on the motors. Just curious.
Welcome to mini heli mania!

Putting larger blade on it probably won't get you much, as larger blades have more mass and inertia which will also eat up the battery any time you are accelerating them. I'm sure Syma has engineered it to be as effective as possible. There are always trade offs.

I got a 7 minute flight on my S107 today. I fly them until it will not stay in a constant hover with full power. Once that happens, the flight is over. I've got about 20 flights on it now, and in the last at least 8 I don't think I've crashed once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie D View Post
Second question: With all the members out there that have multiple copters of different makes/sizes, what would be the top 5 models you would suggest as a second or third copter? I've heard the Firebird is good and it looks to be very similar to the 107. I really like the performance of the 107 and may just buy a 2nd one, but wondered if anyone had a top 5 of favorite models? Can be sport models (looking like the 107) or semi-scale. Keep flyin!

Biggie D
The Firebird is just an S107 with different body work, and maybe still the "R3" circuit board which is supposed to make it "hotter".

Lots of guys like the Phoenix/Eagle 6010s or the 9808s. I've got the 6010 also, and it's a lot of fun ... they all fly a little differently.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 11, 2010, 08:42 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts

thought people here might find this amusing, I guess it's one way of having 4ch.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83