HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I still prefer my rev3 S107, since I haven't been able to get a good 6010 yet. Second one can stay in the air for 5 minutes, which is a big improvement over the 3 minutes my first one barely managed to reach, but judging by that the 107 can still climb with authority after 5 minutes, and has almost 70 flights on it, my money is still on the 107.
SoloPro,

It is interesting how these low-cost helis differ. I have exactly the opposite experience.

My original S107 rev. 5 is lazy as hell and can keep hovering for about 3 minutes.
The just arrived S107 rev. 3 was holding in the air for 7.5 minutes after the first charging.

I had quite some 6010 helis in hands, I think 5 of them so far. They all were different in meaning of speed (normal and turbo), turning speed and control sensitivity. All of them were able to fly at least for 6 - 8 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Yes, there is no way back...
LOL, someone should have told me before I got trapped!
HF Dave is offline Find More Posts by HF Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
That's even better if it's rev3!

Standby for follow up to see if mine arrives as a rev3...
Good luck, friend!
HF Dave is offline Find More Posts by HF Dave
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:11 PM
Winchester, KY
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Having Fun!

Hello All,

Just received my yellow S107G from Syma today. Charged up and flew great! Only flew about 5 min., then turned it off to rest. Will charge up again tomorrow and see if I can get a total of 7 minutes flying. No issues so far and no major crashes. Did hit the ceiling and ground some of the texture off ( which caused it to spiral down but landed on something soft. Very controllable. Just have to get used to the controls. I'm already looking at other copters, but this is such a good one I may have to join the club and get another.

Biggie D
Biggie D is offline Find More Posts by Biggie D
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:57 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Xheli does not have the 6010 at $20 anymore so I need to get another xmas present and they have the 6010 and the 107 at about $30. What's the weight of the 107? Does it have the flexable flybar like the 6010. I just find the 6010 is rugged.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 12, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:58 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie D View Post
Hello All,

Just received my yellow S107G from Syma today. Charged up and flew great! Only flew about 5 min., then turned it off to rest. Will charge up again tomorrow and see if I can get a total of 7 minutes flying.
People are saying you should recharge it soon after a flight, and not let it sit discharged. S107s fly pretty nice, but seems a little sluggish compared to others like the 6010.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
It's a good idea to give a little charge like 15 minutes before putting it away, Just to be safe.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:15 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
S107 is all about Robo-Precision, not speed.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp View Post
When the lower rotor is loose you have to snap it back in place by holding the gears on the bottom and applying pressure from the flybar at the top to push that back in place... though i doubt that is a problem with yours since you say that sometimes it still is able to hover high sometimes not. Its most likely the battery so remove the canopy and see if it bubbled up, also check if you got hairs stuck in the lower part of the shaft cause that can limit your higher hover ability
I appreciate the feedback. The battery looks fine but it's down to hovering just above the floor now. I tried to loosely turn the top rotor and it doesn't feel as free as the bottom. My guess is like you said. Hairs or something wrapped up in there. Especially since the heli turns clockwise very fast and very slowly c-clockwise. Not to mention that it gains height when going clockwise. Any easy way to get the shaft out without tearing apart the whole thing?
theholycowman is offline Find More Posts by theholycowman
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:19 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
S107 is all about Robo-Precision, not speed.
Yep, the S107 seems more precise than say the 6010, but the S107 is too "sluggish" for it's own good. Too bad they tamed it down too far IMO. It would have been neat if they would have made a slow and fast setting for the rear motor.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:21 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Lighten the flybar.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:24 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Lighten the flybar.
I haven't tried that one yet ... think I will, just a matter of removing the little metal weights from the ends.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:31 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Dave View Post
SoloPro,

It is interesting how these low-cost helis differ. I have exactly the opposite experience.

My original S107 rev. 5 is lazy as hell and can keep hovering for about 3 minutes.
The just arrived S107 rev. 3 was holding in the air for 7.5 minutes after the first charging.

I had quite some 6010 helis in hands, I think 5 of them so far. They all were different in meaning of speed (normal and turbo), turning speed and control sensitivity. All of them were able to fly at least for 6 - 8 minutes.

LOL, someone should have told me before I got trapped!
In the 6010 thread we discovered that the trim setting has big influence on flight behavior. If the trim is quite a bit off center, the motors will run not as fast as they could, and you lose a great deal of climbing power. Set the trim back to center (which will cause the heli to make a slow spin) and it rockets up again. So it needs to be trimmed mechanically, by flattening the blades, in this case the top ones, as my heli wanted to turn counter clockwise with the trim centered. Now with the trim in center I can easily fly over 7 minutes with good climbing, whereas 5 minutes was absolute maximum with trim maxed out. Try it, make it climb slowly, then move the trim all the way to one direction. The heli will start losing altitude. Move the trim back and it climbs again.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:32 AM
Joined Dec 2010
21 Posts
Best price parts to Canada? Bigger battery?

Hi! Always loved r/c but never really considered heli's. Saw an s107 somewhere and it looked pretty solid so started looking into it. Long story short I've had it for two days now, 12 or so flights, and read many, many pages in this and other threads. Seems I have another hobby now to add to the pile. Fantastic fun!

Anyway, read a bunch here and did the searches...Looking for any Canadians experiences on where they've found the cheapest parts. I've already challenged myself with flying it in too small a room which resulted in a broken tail fin and the thought of paying 4bucks plus 4 bucks shipping or whatever they variously charge for .25 cents of plastic makes me shudder. This particular 'injury' is mostly cosmetic and can be fixed with a little glue but would love to know the best source for parts. I have read of good experiences and free shipping with EnjoyHobbies.biz...is that my best bet?

Also with all this reading I find myself confused on whether it's better to swap out the original battery for a 240mAh or not. Read some saying not worth it, just get more s107s and then others saying they've done this and it's great.

Have it on good authority that Santa's bringing me a second s107 for Christmas. Joy!
ngaanfan is offline Find More Posts by ngaanfan
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:44 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaanfan View Post
Also with all this reading I find myself confused on whether it's better to swap out the original battery for a 240mAh or not. Read some saying not worth it, just get more s107s and then others saying they've done this and it's great.

Have it on good authority that Santa's bringing me a second s107 for Christmas. Joy!
Congrats! ... well, if Santa is bringing you another then I wouldn't bother with the bigger battery mod. Just fly both ... that's what most people do. They have 2 or 3 and fly them all. You might consider picking up a 6010 for cheap. They charge up in 20 minutes and get a good 5 ~ 6 minute flight.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:58 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Hi ngaanfan,

Welcome to the forum for the S107 insane

EnjoyHobbies.biz is one of many sellers in Hong Kong where you can get spares for the S107.

I also use www.focalprice.com and www.gigxon.com plus a few sellers on ebay who I have used many times.

It just boils down to doing a few searches and finding the one you are happy with

Since you are in Canada there is a company selling a heli called the Litehawk, it is also known as the JXD 335.

This is a heli worth of further investigation, I have been flying two of them since August and they are brilliant helis.

Much faster in the air than the S107 which I also fly and am very happy with my fleet of nine.

Here is the link for you http://www.litehawk.ca/

Fly high and safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaanfan View Post
I've already challenged myself with flying it in too small a room which resulted in a broken tail fin and the thought of paying 4bucks plus 4 bucks shipping or whatever they variously charge for .25 cents of plastic makes me shudder. This particular 'injury' is mostly cosmetic and can be fixed with a little glue but would love to know the best source for parts. I have read of good experiences and free shipping with EnjoyHobbies.biz...is that my best bet?
Christmas. Joy!
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft