HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:32 AM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
If you find a Huey body that weighs the same or less than the S107's I'm in!
That's my predicament. Assuming I even get it off the ground, after its first test flight I'm going to maybe shave sections out of the body just to make it lighter (a la x-wing ufo!). Maybe even remove the tail boom and just mount the motor directly into the huey frame.
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:37 AM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Almost all of the baby copters look/fly better without the skids, IMHO.
I agree! I couldn't believe the improvement in performance once I took the skids off, it just sucked not being able to land and take off again without it toppling over. I just put the skid "prongs" back on and it fixed my problem without adding too much wieght.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 01:08 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salazam View Post
I agree! I couldn't believe the improvement in performance once I took the skids off, it just sucked not being able to land and take off again without it toppling over. I just put the skid "prongs" back on and it fixed my problem without adding too much wieght.
Yeah they look cool and lose some weight, but spot landings on the bar, coffee table, speaker etc is IMO at least 1/2 the fun of flying these. I almost landed my S107 perfectly on top of my blackberry at the poker game last weekend, and did do a touch-and-go on the very peak of my buddies buzz-cut head.

I also have an empty desk in my office that is perfect for throttling up, hitting FF and shooting off the end carrier-launch style.

How did you mount the 'prongs' without their support structure? Photo?
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Nov 05, 2010, 02:15 PM
Joined Nov 2010
5 Posts
I think that my TX is not working. The LED blinks in a green light. I tried to see the IR with a camera, not succesfully. Could somebody tell me if the TX IR is visible with a camera or what can I do to solve my problem? Thanks!
ToMaT is offline Find More Posts by ToMaT
Old Nov 05, 2010, 02:27 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMaT View Post
I think that my TX is not working. The LED blinks in a green light. I tried to see the IR with a camera, not succesfully. Could somebody tell me if the TX IR is visible with a camera or what can I do to solve my problem? Thanks!
how old are the batteries? If you've been charging from the tx instead of the USB they go really fast.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMaT View Post
The TX IR is only visible via camera when you push on the throttle. All I can think is check the polarity of the batteries, simple yet sometimes overlooked.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Power Loss

Good afternoon all. I have an odd issue. I have two S107's (red/yellow) and my sons love to watch them fly. They are about two weeks old, but with a six and four year old at the controls they have seen some tough action. One of 107's is now seemingly losing power to the main rotors and while they rotate, they do not create enough lift to raise the craft in the air. I have replaced the blades as well as the gyro weight bar, and allowed for adequate charging, but it simply doesn't have the power to lift off. I'm hoping for some suggestions as I am just getting acquainted with the mechanicals.

Thanks in advance!
gaheli is offline Find More Posts by gaheli
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
5 Posts
Kurt and salazam, thanks for your answer. Actually, I think that my TX arrived to me broken. I charged the heli via usb and I am using new batteries. I tried Duracell alkaline and Sony rechargeable. When I push on the throttle there is no IR signal testing it with a camera.

Somebody here knows how to solve this problem with my TX? Thanks again!
ToMaT is offline Find More Posts by ToMaT
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:26 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaheli View Post
Good afternoon all. I have an odd issue. I have two S107's (red/yellow) and my sons love to watch them fly. They are about two weeks old, but with a six and four year old at the controls they have seen some tough action. One of 107's is now seemingly losing power to the main rotors and while they rotate, they do not create enough lift to raise the craft in the air. I have replaced the blades as well as the gyro weight bar, and allowed for adequate charging, but it simply doesn't have the power to lift off. I'm hoping for some suggestions as I am just getting acquainted with the mechanicals.

Thanks in advance!
Probably the shaft holding the lower blades is slipping on the axis, that has been reported on numerous occasions, sometimes even on new helis.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply SoloPro. Since I might be suffering from a common issue, is there a preferred procedure to test and repair? Given the delicate nature of the craft, not sure I want to grab my needle nose pliers and attack it!
gaheli is offline Find More Posts by gaheli
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Kurt: I turned the back ones around to give it more stability, I agree, landing is half the fun!
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Regular canopy weighs 3 grams, the huey body minus paint and "glass" windows = 13 grams. hmm...
Old Nov 05, 2010, 03:47 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,093 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply SoloPro. Since I might be suffering from a common issue, is there a preferred procedure to test and repair? Given the delicate nature of the craft, not sure I want to grab my needle nose pliers and attack it!
There must be a guide hidden in this topic, or another. I think some of the S107 "pioneers" instantly know where to find the procedure.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2010, 06:40 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

Oh, I like...if you see any other model of copter this customized cosmetically, it's a clear statement of its reliability.
In any case, a full new set of mechs are an Ebay-away.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:01 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,808 Posts
Quote:
Good afternoon all. I have an odd issue.
Sal, I'm no expert but unless you can see something seriously wrong (like big chunks missing from the blades) it sounds like the motor(s) and/or battery may be toast.
Many people get 50++ flights, including crashes. Maybe you got particularly weak samples, or maybe you ran the batteries too low, over-stressed them by charging&running them too fast, etc.
I'm going to start following others advice to limit flight time to <3 minutes and allow 10 minutes+ of cool down inbetween charging and flights.
Maybe others can offer other advice, but I think you either need to replace the motors (which aren't cheap at $4 each from xheli-.com) and/or battery, or buy a whole new one for $27.
I've got a couple of the lighter $20 "6010 Phoenix" on the way from xheli.com, might be the way to go.
cheers