HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:43 PM
S107s are a gateway drug...
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2010
31 Posts
Soldering Tips Needed

Total noobie question-

So when I solder the wire back to the board, does the tip of the wire go in the hole on the board or just across it?

The only thing I've ever soldered before now was speaker wire, so trying to hold a tiny wire in place and maneuver the iron without hitting the board or the other wires is a bit more challenging.

I'm assuming they must sell smaller diameter solder than what I've got? I think I'd cover half the front edge of the board if I tried using what I have.

If all else fails, I know someone with more experience with electronics and better tools how can probably help me out.
enderwiggin is offline Find More Posts by enderwiggin
Last edited by enderwiggin; Oct 10, 2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added question about different sizes of solder
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:48 PM
No. Calif Bay Area
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Flying outside....

Just flew two of my S107s outside for the first time..... Dead calm, no wind and just after dusk....

First one got away from me going too high and it landed in one of the trees but I luckily was able to shake it out... After that I figured out how high and far off I could get it to stay in contact with the transmitter...

Forward flight was very sluggish which supports the "indoor only" label for these... The Blade 120SR seems to the next step up candidate for out door flying but I am not quite ready to invest...

Think I will stick to in doors......
Duck05 is offline Find More Posts by Duck05
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:54 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin View Post
Total noobie question-

So when I solder the wire back to the board, does the tip of the wire go in the hole on the board or just across it?
If you were connecting the wire on the unprinted side of the board then the striped end would typically go through the hole, but you could also solder it directly to the copper (printed) side if that is easier. The trick to getting a good solder joint for conductivity is to be quick and not move the solder after it is in place. You want to heat the solder until it melts, get it to flow over the wire and connection point, then move the iron away so the solder cools with a shiny surface. If it looks dull then it may be a "cold joint." If you have an old PCB somewhere that you can practice on that would be a good idea. Remember not too keep the heat applied for too long, copper is a good heat conductor and you can burnout nearby components.

Here's a tutorial that might help.
Tom DB is offline Find More Posts by Tom DB
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
Forward flight was very sluggish which supports the "indoor only" label for these... The Blade 120SR seems to the next step up candidate for out door flying but I am not quite ready to invest...
I was flying my mSR outside this morning in a light breeze. It gets blown around some but is controllable. And when it gets too windy I can practice hovers and landings indoors. It's a definite candidate for "next step up" from an S107 and almost as indestructible.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Taking It Outside

It certainly is an experience flying outside with the S107. This evening, I flew it outside in the cool of the night 3 times. The first two times, I wound up going back inside half way through the battery charge. The breeze just started to pick up. Figures! Of course I'm talking about a "light" breeze. I did finish the flights in the living room.

The third time which was right around 11 PM EST, about 2 minutes into the flight, the breeze started again. But this time, I decided to "tough it out", and do my best to control my red 107 as best I could. Funny thing is that the strongest breeze was down towards the pavement, more so than at altitude.

It didn't do bad at all when I landed it gently several times on the driveway pavement. I think tonight's experience helped me to become a better "pilot".

This was my 107's 86th flight, and it's going strong.

Happy flying,
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
Just flew two of my S107s outside for the first time..... Dead calm, no wind and just after dusk....

First one got away from me going too high and it landed in one of the trees but I luckily was able to shake it out... After that I figured out how high and far off I could get it to stay in contact with the transmitter...

Think I will stick to in doors......
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
The challenge of outdoor flight with even a little breeze can get the adrenalin flowing and make you feel like you've really accomplished something. I've lived in the same place for many years and until I started flying these little helis outside, I'd never been so keenly aware of wind conditions and where the little eddies seem to form. I also never knew that a small palm tree could act as a helicopter magnet, but given the number of times I've hit it, this must be a scientific fact.

I'm off to the living room now with the S107s to record flights number 99 and 100. Then I think I may either retire or dissect one of 'em. My yellow Rev 3 bird has developed a bit of a tick when yawing, like something is slipping or catching for a split second, which causes the yaw rate to briefly increase. It makes doing circuits a little difficult at full speed.

Speaking of 100 flights, has anyone else reached the century mark yet? Maybe we should start a club.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:29 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,499 Posts
Quote:
Total noobie question-

The only thing I've ever soldered before now was speaker wire, so trying to hold a tiny wire in place and maneuver the iron without hitting the board or the other wires is a bit more challenging.

I'm assuming they must sell smaller diameter solder than what I've got? I think I'd cover half the front edge of the board if I tried using what I have.

If all else fails, I know someone with more experience with electronics and better tools how can probably help me out.

Like Tom DB already suggested, get some practice on an old board or so. And make sure you have a small tip on the soldering iron. Good luck!

@Tom DB: that sudden yawing happens both on my new rev5 as well as on my older rev3. Some flights it never happens, and on some the tail suddenly spins 180 degrees or so. Perhaps it's a speck of dust catching on the gears? Both helis have good climbing power, it doesn't feel like anything is slipping or binding.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:44 AM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
I haven't flown outside, I think I will tonight. I like to do what I call air conditioner-surfing.
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:52 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Shooting For 100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom DB View Post
Speaking of 100 flights, has anyone else reached the century mark yet? Maybe we should start a club.
Hopefully my little red S107 will be there by this Wednesday!

It's on the charger right now to do #87.

Happy flying!
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,452 Posts
I'm not sure how many flights I have on my S107 and Firebird now as I just fly them. In the beginning I would fly them about 3-4 times a day but now I'm lucky if I fly them once. My MCX2 is my best and quickest flyer and gets almost all my attention now for indoor flying.
The big chinook is my outdoor favorite and alot of fun but the 2 hour recharge cycle time is a big con. I let it cool 30 mins and then charge 90 mins.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
Budapest, Hungary
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
2 more S107's on the way, my colleagues all want one for themselves

I bought also 2 S032's for other colleagues. One of them is as perfect as possible, maybe even better than my S107, incredibly stable. However the other S032 behaves somewhat strangely. Below half throttle it is really weak, almost doesn't fly up. but after half throttle it kindof gets a boost and starts flying up very fast. but when you level it out by decreasing throttle, and it falls above that certain level it drops very quickly. I can now definitely say that it's not right, after trying the perfect S032. Anyone experienced this, what could be the cause?

btw. the (good) S032 is so amazing, that I might buy one for myself, so I could fly something outside too
bounty123 is offline Find More Posts by bounty123
Last edited by bounty123; Oct 11, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 03:45 PM
S107s are a gateway drug...
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2010
31 Posts
Soldering the board

Thanks Tom and Solo for the suggestions. I think I'll have to see if I can find a smaller tip for my iron and some smaller solder.

I'd probably end up covering half the board if I used what I've got...
enderwiggin is offline Find More Posts by enderwiggin
Old Oct 11, 2010, 05:02 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom and Solo for the suggestions. I think I'll have to see if I can find a smaller tip for my iron and some smaller solder.

I'd probably end up covering half the board if I used what I've got...
Be certain to get rosin core solder and not the acid core stuff used by plumbers, and your iron should be of the 30w variety.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Brought my s107 to thanksgiving dinner and all the guys in my family want one now!
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hpi Sprint 2 Flux, Madspeed DK
USA, WA, Stevenson
Joined Oct 2010
69 Posts
S107 arrives TOMORROW!!!

HEY ALL! I'm new to rc flight at all, but I've been shadowing this forum on accident because a lot of my "quest for knowledge on GOOGLE" keeps bringing me here. I have learned so much from all of you. (plan on removing the flybar weights while it's on it's first charge). I swear i'm on topic, as the S107 will be my primary bird for the foreseeable future and i plan on discussing it and attempting to change or mod any/everything.

FINALLY! after mastering the s106, (mastering meaning beat the heck out of), my S107 is supposed to be in the mail tomorrow. I just read how much i rambled and laughed!

S107 WHOOOO!

-Shaun
Shaun B is offline Find More Posts by Shaun B