HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:47 PM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
so far with all the suckage I'm experiencing I'm hesitant to buy another SanHuan. The 6025-1 better not suck too.
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
@arbilab How many issues? What's their average flight time? (btw, if it's just between us, isn't there a PM feature on this board? Everyone on this board is old, why can't you cuss?)
Old Oct 08, 2010, 12:52 AM
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh View Post
Sure looks like a S107 to me, though the pic isn't very clear.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...li-w-gyro.html

sean
I believe it - I picked up some for our club when I had stopped by the Lawndale Hobby People. We needed prizes for our 2nd Micro Helicopter Olympics event at this month's club meeting.

If you scroll down you'll see the second video. I'm going to upload it to youtube so it can be shared a little easier.

http://www.valleyflyers.com/
mikester is offline Find More Posts by mikester
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:37 AM
Joined Oct 2010
16 Posts
Attack of the S107 clones!

Judo JoNny had one kind of clone: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post15927852

I appear to have a better class of clone - more similar to the Syma S107 and it has been reliable. It has none of the traits that Judo JonNy's had (his had metal blade holders, metal flybar ends, short axles on motors).

Consensus is that Syma haven't radically changed their PCB layout, so it is very likely a clone.

Obvious differences in my S107 (compared against photos by killbucket):
* Tab that holds the two main motors on is on opposite side of Heli from original (Syma original).
* Main circuit board is different (most notably, a 2.1mm barrel socket for DC charging)
* Screws for skids are sideways into sides, not from above (Syma original).
* Base doesn't have rectangular cutouts (Syma original).
robocat is offline Find More Posts by robocat
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:04 AM
S107s are a gateway drug...
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2010
31 Posts
Problems with top rotor after 3rd flight

The blue S107 I ordered from Ebay came a couple days ago and I was pretty impressed with it on my first couple flights. Shortly into my third flight, I bounced it off a cupboard and onto the floor, but it wasn't moving very fast to start with and the crash didn't seem particularly hard.

However, the top rotor no longer spins. If it turn it by hand, the gears spin and and seem to be meshing up ok, but when I have it on and try to take off only the bottom rotor spins. I've seen good, clear instructions in the many, many posts I've read in this thread on how to fix a problem with the bottom rotor, but didn't see anything about the top rotor. Sorry if I missed something and am asking a questions about something I should have been able to find.
enderwiggin is offline Find More Posts by enderwiggin
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:16 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Salaz: I don't PM policy, would make me out to be a cop, which I'm not at all. Just so you know. Some flyers bring their very young children into the hobby and onto the site. So the site edits to the standard of Spongebob. It's just the way the place works and I only brought it up because you're new here.

Some 6025s achieve nominal 5min flights. Some like mine, just over 2min. Some, as low as 20sec. All San Huan chargers are scaled for their biggest battery, which overcharges their smallest battery by about 3 times and soon destroys it.

Ender: A 'bounce' crash should not have disabled it. If bounces disabled aircraft, nothing I own would still fly. I can't tell you what is wrong with yours. The electronics board is not particularly expensive. But since we really don't know what is wrong, maybe another whole kit would be the most practical solution, keeping the original as parts for substitution.

Sorry you encountered this problem so early. Don't let it deter you. These things are fun but they can also be wayward and occasionally troublesome.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Last edited by arbilab; Oct 08, 2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:16 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salazam View Post
Who says I'm belittling? Just because I think something a lot of you do is stupid doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone... I do stuff you guys would probably think is stupid too... to each his own. I just wanted to know why in case there were some reason to make it less stupid to me, but there apparently isn't.

It makes sense to log the hours in a real helicopter because extensive maintenance is needed on those machines in order to keep them in top shape and last as long as possible (at least in the army). If decent flight and maintenance logs aren't kept, mechanical malfunction could mean someone's life. Not so much in a Syma.

That being said, I am in no objection to anyone logging their S107 flights. It's fun I'm sure, to you. To me, I like aesthetically modding them or improving their flight performance. I even tried picking up lego men with a magnet tied to a string dangling from the heli... but they were too heavy to fly properly and the magnet kept getting caught to other stuff. (the lego men had paperclips taped to them, that's what made them magnetically attractive)
I said you were and it cames across like you were, That being said thanks for clearing things up. Have to go and log another flight...
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Oct 08, 2010, 11:12 AM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Salaz: I don't PM policy, would make me out to be a cop, which I'm not at all. Just so you know. Some flyers bring their very young children into the hobby and onto the site. So the site edits to the standard of Spongebob. It's just the way the place works and I only brought it up because you're new here.

Some 6025s achieve nominal 5min flights. Some like mine, just over 2min. Some, as low as 20sec. All San Huan chargers are scaled for their biggest battery, which overcharges their smallest battery by about 3 times and soon destroys it.

Ender: A 'bounce' crash should not have disabled it. If bounces disabled aircraft, nothing I own would still fly. I can't tell you what is wrong with yours. The electronics board is not particularly expensive. But since we really don't know what is wrong, maybe another whole kit would be the most practical solution, keeping the original as parts for substitution.

Sorry you encountered this problem so early. Don't let it deter you. These things are fun but they can also be wayward and occasionally troublesome.
Just telling me policy in general makes you out to be one, are you a moderator?

A "bounce" crash disabled it. I said what was wrong with mine, you couldn't tell me because you're not here looking at it. The main rotor is bent. It fell from about 4 feet onto my vacuum cleaner and that was that.

Thanks for the info on the 6025's but I'm going to stick to my s107 gunship for now, I'm using the 6020 for parts.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 12:35 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2010
31 Posts
Firebird vs. S107

I've seen the posts (and pictures) saying that the Firebirds and S107's are the same design. Is there any difference in quality control? I want to get another one even though my S107 didn't last long, but would prefer to spend a little more on a Firebird if I'm going to have better luck with it.

If the designs are the same, would I be able to use my S107 for parts if I am unable to fix it?

Any other ideas about how to fix my S107 (see my post 4 posts back)? I'm not much of a handyman, so any ideas of any fix like the ways suggested to fix the gap when the lower rotor doesn't turn would be great. I can attempt something more complicated if I have too, but it might not turn out well.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 12:57 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin View Post
Any other ideas about how to fix my S107 (see my post 4 posts back)? I'm not much of a handyman, so any ideas of any fix like the ways suggested to fix the gap when the lower rotor doesn't turn would be great. I can attempt something more complicated if I have too, but it might not turn out well.
If you can turn the rotor by hand and the gears are present and turning then it looks like the motor is not getting power. That could be caused by a bad motor or bad electronic board.
Check the wires to the motor, did the wire break or get cut?
Check the electronics board for any signs of a burned component.

The Firebird uses the Original rev 3 board design and does fly alittle better than my rev 5 board S107
I think its worth paying $10 more for a firebird over the S107
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 08, 2010, 01:02 PM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
If you can turn the rotor by hand and the gears are present and turning then it looks like the motor is not getting power. That could be caused by a bad motor or bad electronic board.
Check the wires to the motor, did the wire break or get cut?
Check the electronics board for any signs of a burned component.

The Firebird uses the Original rev 3 board design and does fly alittle better than my rev 5 board S107
I think its worth paying $10 more for a firebird over the S107
Thanks! I'll order a Firebird and then check the things you suggested tonight after work.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 02:46 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Battery's "Second Wind"?

I just completed the 63rd flight on my Amazon bought red S107. In this flight, I wanted to see how much flight time I could get non stop.

Some of you may recall I was complaining about a short battery run after almost 2 1/2 minutes of constant flight. I responded to that issue by flying the 107 in short intervals of about 30-60 seconds, landing, and taking off again. This way, I could have relatively long flying sessions with it.

Well, I hovered the 107 in the living room, and then flying it back and forth in a limited amount of airspace. Guess what? I flew it non stop for over 7 minutes, and it could still climb with authority before I turned it off!

I am taking into account that I was flying very gently most of the time, though during the first minute or so, I did zip it around the room in a big oval a few times. If the flight had involved a lot more movements in the air, multiple take offs, etc., that could reduce run time due to higher draw rate on the battery.

I fly the Syma about 5-6 times a day. Most of the times, immediately after a flight, I put it right back on the USB charger. According to conventional wisdom, I am doing all the "wrong" things but yet, it seems that this battery has revived somehow!

And lastly, I have crashed this thing more times than it's flown. Literally! Nothing broken! And just the mere fact of having enjoyed 63 flights on this S107 is statistically good if you think about it.

Will continue to fly it like before, and hopefully it will in the near future hit the BIG 1-0-0!

Let's hope I didn't just "jinx" it!

Happy flying,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
I it seems that this battery has revived somehow!
Ed
Thats great! ,Whatever the reason
Maybe its a motor or electronic component that fails when it heats up too much. Gental flying may be keeping it from getting too hot and avoids the breakdown point.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:42 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,285 Posts
Quote:
Maybe its a motor or electronic component that fails when it heats up too much. Gental flying may be keeping it from getting too hot and avoids the breakdown point.
That doesn't explain why it can suddenly fly over 7 minutes now stop. Anyway. the temps of the motors have been measured during long flights, and this showed the motors barely heat up as the minutes progress. I think that is partially why the S107 performs so well, it's motors are running close to optimal speed, because the gears have been well chosen. Also the motors are quite big, at least bigger than the ones on the Solo coax.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:43 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
I"m Happy

Quote:
It's funny how these things work. It's almost like they have a mind of their own. But when I first started to experience short run times on this heli, I was actually flying it mostly in a hover (With a little back and forth flying) because I was so new back then, that I didn't have the confidence to pilot it around the room yet.

Like I said in my prior post, I have crashed an awful lot of times, though lately I've gotten a lot better at not doing that. But ironically I have gotten replacement parts (blades, main shaft, gears, flybars, connectors, etc.). Two rotor blades are on the way. I also ordered two 150 maH batteries from eBay that you had posted the link And yet it seems that none of those will have to be replaced, at least yet. Knock on wood! But it is nice to have those things on hand "just in case".

Happy flying,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3