Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2010, 09:20 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
It's fun to fly where there is an "unlimited" ceiling and no walls to crash into. Earlier today I was buzzing around the living room when my g/f opened the front door, I tried to "follow" her outside but the little bird just couldn't make it through the doorway given the light breeze coming in.

Anyone see The Mentalist last week? I don't usually watch it but the recording of CSI ran a little long and the next thing I see is a red S107 flying though a house and down a hallway until it landed next to the star of the show, who I guess was using "remote vision" or something to navigate. My first thought was "you can't fly that thing from another room, the IR signal would be blocked." Then he put down the remote which had a telescopic antenna sticking out. That's Hollywood for you. But it was still cool to watch our little heli flying around on TV.
Tom DB is offline Find More Posts by Tom DB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Keep in mind that my Firebird started going bad after about 20 flights.
The board is now totally shot, so there is no sure thing with these heli's.
My 3rd S107 (yellow, R5) continues to be my favorite.
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Oct 03, 2010, 10:30 PM
canada
Joined Sep 2010
55 Posts
ok so for the people who were having problems with the lower rotor shaft coming loose i have a question. I was looking at the spare pars lists on some of the sites and they all have replacement main shafts. Can I not just buy this replacement part and skip glueing the stuff together? Will just relacing the main shaft correct my problem of not getting any altitude? Im assuming this is the problem with mine....
kmm77 is offline Find More Posts by kmm77
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:13 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
"Houston We Have A Problem!"

I attempted to do flights number 36, and 37 on the 107, and I am having some trouble with it. It will fly for about 2 minutes, and then start to lose power causing of course a loss in altitude. Have no choice but to land it. When that happens, I hear a change in the sound of the heli's drive system. It makes a sound that is almost like a low "whoosh", instead of the distinctive "turbine" like noise.

Anyway, if I let the heli sit there for about 5-10 seconds, or turn it off, and turn it on again, it'll fly with good take off power, and then the same thing will happen in about 20 seconds later.

I go through this cycle for about 3 times, and then get frustrated, and turn the thing off.

I am almost certain that this behavior has probably been discussed here before. Any ideas? Could it be the battery? The board? Anything mechanical?

Quite frankly, replacing the battery is feasible, and relatively inexpensive, but I will not go through the trouble of replacing the board or any extensive "rebuilding". I would rather buy a new one.

I just hope I can make it last until it hits the 50 flights, though these choppy flying sessions can hardly be considered complete.

I sit and wait.

Cheers,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:05 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Oh dear. My 107 and Firebird work as always. My 006, in the last 2 flights, started the "can't lift" thing.

I'm half tempted to go ahead and get disillusioned like KB did. Boy, is THAT ever depressing!
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 04, 2010, 02:31 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Oh dear. My 107 and Firebird work as always. My 006, in the last 2 flights, started the "can't lift" thing.

I'm half tempted to go ahead and get disillusioned like KB did. Boy, is THAT ever depressing!
What causes this? Board or motor(s)? I have a non-Syma heli that has the same issue.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 05:43 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
It will fly for about 2 minutes, and then start to lose power causing of course a loss in altitude.
Anyway, if I let the heli sit there for about 5-10 seconds, or turn it off, and turn it on again, it'll fly with good take off power, and then the same thing will happen in about 20 seconds later.Cheers,
Ed
This is what my blue S107 was doing. If you charge it do you get another good 2 mins out of it?
I'm going with a battery replacement on mine and hope it fixes the problem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220644526529

I don't think its a bad motor bacause I doubt both would go out at the sametime. If one motor went out it would rotate in yaw in one direction
depending on what motor was weakest.
The controller board is always a possibility but it's more likely the battery.
Batteries are cheap and easy to replace.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 04, 2010, 07:44 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Could Be

Yes, if I put it back on the charger, it will fly fine for about 2 minutes. Funny thing is that when I flew it outside for it's 35th flight, it was OK, but it's possible for these things to happen suddenly I guess.

No, I never assumed this sudden poor performance had anything to do with the motors. Like you said, it highly improbable both would go bad at the same time, and to the same degree.

That looks like a great deal on those batteries. I might do that too.

Cheers,
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
This is what my blue S107 was doing. If you charge it do you get another good 2 mins out of it?
I'm going with a battery replacement on mine and hope it fixes the problem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220644526529

I don't think its a bad motor bacause I doubt both would go out at the sametime. If one motor went out it would rotate in yaw in one direction
depending on what motor was weakest.
The controller board is always a possibility but it's more likely the battery.
Batteries are cheap and easy to replace.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 10:17 AM
southern maryland
Joined Aug 2010
99 Posts
I have had the same problem at one time or another...there was a couple of causes
#1: you still need to turn the tx on first and then the helicopter, as soon as you turn it one make sure it is on a flat surface and wait for the flashing green light on the board to go solid.
#2: Sometimes the batteries in your TX need to be replaced..not sure how many flights but when i lose altitude usually it's because the heli did not charge well or the connection from the TX to the heli is not snugly fit...hope this helps
rr9434 is offline Find More Posts by rr9434
Old Oct 04, 2010, 10:25 AM
southern maryland
Joined Aug 2010
99 Posts
stupid question? how do you know which version of the S107 you have?
thanks
rr9434 is offline Find More Posts by rr9434
Old Oct 04, 2010, 11:07 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
My S107's 38th Flight

An update to my S107's flight duration issue. I flew my S107 in the living room about half an hour ago. I tried something different. Instead of attempting to fly it in one continuous flying session, I "chopped" it up. Meaning that I would have it take off and fly it around the room for no longer than 1 minute or so, and then I would land it either on the floor, or the top of the book case. I'd wait for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, take off again, and fly for about 30-40 seconds or so, and land it again.

I continued to do this, and found out that A) It was more fun and challenging between flying, and landing it on different spots in the living room, and B) Did not experience that sudden loss of power that FORCED me to land it.

I figured I was able to stretch the flight session to over 6-7 minutes doing this, and stopped when it would not climb with authority after hovering 4-5 feet off the floor.

It's back on the charger, and I'll fly it again in this way wen it's ready to go.

Cheers,
Ed
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:24 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
I just had flight #52. I have timed all 52 flights to 5 minutes and never had a problem. I pretty much fly non stop for the whole 5 minutes.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:37 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Flight #40 Coming Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfisher View Post
I just had flight #52. I have timed all 52 flights to 5 minutes and never had a problem. I pretty much fly non stop for the whole 5 minutes.
I am going to attempt to fly non stop, and see how long it can stay in the air. By the way, I did flight number 39 just like I described the previous one.

Another thing I changed is that I'm using the Chinook's plug in charger instead of the USB cord.

cheers,
Ed
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:47 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Not sure if it makes a difference but I only fly once a day and do not recharge until the next day with my AC usb port at 300ma. (45 min)
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:06 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,373 Posts
Quote:
What causes this? Board or motor(s)? I have a non-Syma heli that has the same issue.
No one has reported being able to solve it to where it stays solved. I wasn't going to take mine apart while it was still working but now that it's failing I might.

Is yours also 3.7V? That's really too low for this scale (006) aircraft. It forces the current up too high. Which then--I think--trips the undervoltage cutoff. A good 20C battery might solve it, not sure that's been tried. Considerably more complex, is isolating the motor drives from the electronics and sending them 7.4V.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab