HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:32 AM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Have to agree with arbilab on keeping it if it's an awesome flyer, in the end that is all that really matters.

Maybe Syma's marketing strategy is to stock the shelves with "Grade A" product on the first few shipments to get people interested, then send the lower cost "Grade B" products to capitalize on the follow-up demand. IOWs, classic bait and switch.
Tom DB is offline Find More Posts by Tom DB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:42 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salazam View Post
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
Since some people started mentioning some bad birds being around, that wouldn't last over a few flights, I decided to keep track so find out if I have a good one. And it is also nice to know how long it lasts.

@TomDB: Might be the strategy indeed. Although not every rev 5 heli is bad. So it might also be a case of bad quality control, which also affects many other products these days, like receiver boards on the MSR crapping out suddenly and many more examples. They don't seem to mind if a product is good, just if it is possible to sell it...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2010, 01:28 AM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
I keep track of my flights as well. In place of a spreadsheet I use a pen and Post-it notes, but it still counts as a flight log. Guess maybe I'm stupid, too.

True about not all the Rev 5s being bad, I'm happy enough with mine even if it seems a little sluggish compared to the Rev 3. If I hadn't bought a 2nd S!07 I probably wouldn't even know the difference. As long as they are controllable and don't break down too soon then it doesn't seem like a big deal which version you fly.

Man, I thought this topic was long at ~190 pages when I started reading it... the mSR topic is up to 1069 pages! I'll be flying a Trex before I get caught-up on that one.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom DB View Post
It looks like the controller has the "SYMA" logo on it.
The Controller has "GYRO" written on it just like the originals.
This is a clone version missing the SYMA name and using a round charge connector.
The Gear shafts have been reported to be different on these allowing the gear to slide out of place.
If the rotor stops turning it's likely because the gear slipped.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Last edited by jtravel; Oct 03, 2010 at 05:07 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 06:52 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z24 View Post
Never thought I'd get one, until I turned a corner at a local store and...bam!!

Out of the box, no charging, it flys awesome!
Hey if it works its all good, Another Ontario guy I see.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:37 AM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
The Controller has "GYRO" written on it just like the originals.
You're right about that, I should have looked at one of my own controllers before posting.

I wonder if these are being produced with Syma's permission or are a 3rd-party knock-off? It would be such a shame if Chinese jobs were being outsourced to countries with a cheaper work force. /snark
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3 Posts
Is this heli still worth a buy?
blue cobra is offline Find More Posts by blue cobra
Old Oct 03, 2010, 11:48 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,436 Posts
Quote:
You're right about that, I should have looked at one of my own controllers before posting.
I wonder if these are being produced with Syma's permission or are a 3rd-party knock-off? It would be such a shame if Chinese jobs were being outsourced to countries with a cheaper work force. /snark
Its hard to know for sure but I suspect SYMA just buys Their HELI's From OEM Manufactures that package them in SYMA designed packaging.
The same factories are then free to manufacture the same S107 or Its parts without the Syma name.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:05 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue cobra View Post
I have had kinda bad luck with Syma boxed S107's and on my third right now.
I had a bad stabilizer that was binding and causing wicked toilet bowl Effect.
Replacement stabilizers can be purchased for .88 cents each if you buy 3 or more from China including shipping. 14 day shipping from China is the downside. I have six on order so it will never be a issue again.
Battery degradation to the point I was only able to fly for 2 mins on a full charge on my second S107 , still flew great for 2 mins so it's not a offical grounding in anyway.
replacement batteries can be had from china for $2.50-$3.00 shipped from China but takes 14 days to the USA. order a couple in advance and you will be ready when this happens.
Most other parts are also available but so far only the batt and stabilizer has had issues for me.
Heck Ya, I would still buy another syma S107
But Part of me has to say spend the extra $10 and get the Helizone Firebird just to get the original rev 3 electronics board and Gyro. Its a better gryo & electronics package and gives the bird more pep
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:10 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
From what little info I could find about SYMA it seems they have their own production facilities:

Quote:
SYMA TOYS INDUSTIAL CO., LTD located in Laimei Industrial park Chenghai District Shantou City Guangdong China, It is a large-scale enterprise with our own designing, manufacturing and trading.
Currently, we do have spacious standardized workshops, modern office and dormitories. And we do have advanced equipment for scientific research, production, and testing. Design, mould center, assembling center, highly qualified technical and managing team, solid technical force., and it do help us to set up a complete production management system.
Source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue cobra View Post
That would be a definite maybe. It all seems to come down to which "this helicopter" you end up buying. But I'm inclined to say yes, and if you are really concerned about getting a dud then take jtravel's advice and spend an extra $10 for a Firebird... think of it as buying a SYMA with an insurance policy.
Last edited by Tom DB; Oct 03, 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:35 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,420 Posts
Quote:
That would be a definite maybe. It all seems to come down to which "this helicopter" you end up buying. But I'm inclined to say yes, and if you are really concerned about getting a dud then take jtravel's advise and spend an extra $10 for a Firebird... think of it as buying a SYMA with an insurance policy.
Is the Firebird also available in Europe? 10 dollar to be sure to get a quality bird is worth it in my opinion.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:49 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Is the Firebird also available in Europe? 10 dollar to be sure to get a quality bird is worth it in my opinion.
I belive they only ship to the US and canada.

http://www.helizonerc.com/
Old Oct 03, 2010, 01:52 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,376 Posts
I think if you can get a Yank friend to buy it and send it to you declared "gift", it escapes import taxes but shipping is still pretty steep.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Oct 03, 2010, 03:46 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Addicted?

Where is that phone number for "Heliholics Anonymous"? I think we've got another candidate in denial!

Happy buying...er...flying!

Quote:
I've been called a lot of things, but that may be a first for "coherent." And thanks for the welcome, I've been having fun here. They say this is an addictive hobby but I don't think I've been affected. Sure, I bought a T-Series in August, and an S107 in September, and then another S107. And now I'm about to order a mCX2... and a mSR... but I can stop any time I want to. Really, I can. No problem. I don't know why y'all say this is addictive. Just a couple more, that's all.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Oct 03, 2010, 07:59 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
35 And Counting!

Well I got in my 35th flight on my little red S107 this evening. I flew it outside in the driveway. The conditions were pretty good. Temperatures in the mid 70s, no wind with very, very light breeze. The sun was "hiding" behind the house so the IR signal would have no trouble reaching the heli.

Had an absolute blast. It seems that it gains altitude so much easier, and quicker even though I use less throttle. It also seems to fly longer on the same charge. There were times where I could see the S107 was getting buffeted by the light breezes.

I'll be working towards reaching the 50 flights this week. I'm enjoying every minute!

Cheers,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3