HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2010, 06:29 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
^ ^ True. I've been in electronics manufacturing on and off since 1988. All kindsa things happen.

One gizmo (quite an expensive one) was designed around a chip the vendor decided to discontinue. The product engineer handed me the replacement chip and said "here, make it work". That was fun. They're still in service today.

But then I'm American. I built 6 socket-compatible platforms with the new circuitry, plugged into the existing board and tested for months before everyone agreed, "yeah, it works". I guarantee the Chinese are nowhere near that thorough, and certainly not on a $30 toy.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2010, 06:51 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,368 Posts
[QUOTE=arbilab;16196494I built 6 socket-compatible platforms with the new circuitry, plugged into the existing board and tested for months before everyone agreed, "yeah, it works". I guarantee the Chinese are nowhere near that thorough, and certainly not on a $30 toy.[/QUOTE]

Yah,but its still the best $30 toy I can buy
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:25 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
So are mine, but they're pre-rev and work perfectly. Last thing I'd want is a $30 'what-do-I-do-now?' problem.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
So are mine, but they're pre-rev and work perfectly. Last thing I'd want is a $30 'what-do-I-do-now?' problem.
I prefer problem free but really the The worst I have had with the latest version is early battery failure after repeated flights.
Not a big deal as replacement batteries are available for less than $3 from hong Kong. Replacement parts are also available and at under $30 each you can even keep a extra S107 around for parts.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 02, 2010, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Registered, noted, kept track or record of. I mean I have a little spreadsheet in which I keep a record of my flights after hearing some S107 die prematurely.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:19 PM
Z24
Tamiya For A Me A
Canada, ON, Strathroy
Joined Feb 2010
286 Posts
Never thought I'd get one, until I turned a corner at a local store and...bam!!

Out of the box, no charging, it flys awesome!
Z24 is offline Find More Posts by Z24
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:45 PM
Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z24 View Post
Never thought I'd get one, until I turned a corner at a local store and...bam!!

Out of the box, no charging, it flys awesome!
Sorry, but I think you have bought a copy of the S107. The charging socket is different, and the box not is the original
pepiche is offline Find More Posts by pepiche
Last edited by pepiche; Oct 02, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:54 PM
Z24
Tamiya For A Me A
Canada, ON, Strathroy
Joined Feb 2010
286 Posts
Kinda figured it was. But it flys just as nice as a real one. And didnt have to order it.
Z24 is offline Find More Posts by Z24
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:54 PM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
Looks pretty good, but something is a little off..

The s107 label is different and the boom is about 1/2" shorter. Who cares though, if it's $30 and it flies good, i'd say you have a winner!
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:13 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
$28 is as little as you can pay delivered in US. So if it works, nevermind what it actually is. Even the 'genuine' Symas don't necessarily work these days.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:14 PM
Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z24 View Post
Kinda figured it was. But it flys just as nice as a real one. And didnt have to order it.
I am very sorry, but you should go to the store where purchased and complain about it. You paid for a real S107, so you request an exchange for an original S107

Cheers,
Pepiche.
pepiche is offline Find More Posts by pepiche
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:15 PM
No. Calif Bay Area
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Never saw that box design before.... and where does it say "Syma"???

You can get "real" Syma S107s from Amazon with free shipping for $28.95.... (the last time I looked....).
Duck05 is offline Find More Posts by Duck05
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:19 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
The cap on top of the motor appears to be white, it's black on both of my birds, and the screws on the struts look like they are horizontal, they are vertical on mine. The box in the photo appears to have both English and French, which makes sense if it was purchased in Ontario, CA. It looks like the controller has the "SYMA" logo on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Tom is one of our most coherent 'new' contributors. Thanks for joining us, Tom.
I've been called a lot of things, but that may be a first for "coherent." And thanks for the welcome, I've been having fun here. They say this is an addictive hobby but I don't think I've been affected. Sure, I bought a T-Series in August, and an S107 in September, and then another S107. And now I'm about to order a mCX2... and a mSR... but I can stop any time I want to. Really, I can. No problem. I don't know why y'all say this is addictive. Just a couple more, that's all.
Tom DB is offline Find More Posts by Tom DB
Last edited by Tom DB; Oct 02, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:47 PM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
I may have a sickness, I flew both of my 107's 3 times each today, resulting in 6 more flights. So I am at about 75 flights on each bird. I think I've figured out the perfect landing technique. as your slowly descending and sort of hovering over your landing spot, just give a quick blip of the reverse stick, which results in the tail rotor spinning backwards pushing the rear down, and then quickly cutting the main throttle. It puts the 107 down accurate and with authority. My wife even commented on it tonight wondering about the precision of my landings as she assumes all helicopters are always out of control..
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:54 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
Quote:
go to the store where purchased and complain about it. You paid for a real S107
Gotta nix that. If you got one that WORKS, keep it. October "real" isn't the same thing as April "real".

"Real" that I know of, only comes packaged in Chinese or English. But again, who cares as long as it works.

Tom: While I largely restrain myself from criticizing lack of coherence, I appreciate it when I see it.