HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:15 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh View Post
Well a few months ago I bought a yellow rev.3 S107 which flies just beautifully after 60+ flights, two weeks ago I received a blue rev. 5 bird which does the pendulum and oscillating motions on every flight. It seems to me the the earlier rev.3s were much more stable.
My rev 5 seems just as stable as the rev 3.

Btw, it seems the rev 5 has some limit on the charge current. I always time charges to get an idea of how much has been drained from the battery. The rev 5 has been charging for over 55 minutes now, even though I didn't fly it until it could not stay in the air. On my red one a typical charge takes 35 minutes at most, often even less. I use the same USB charger for both, the one that came with my rev 3 one.

Edit: left turns are a bit faster than right turns on the rev 5 bird. With left turns I can make it pick up some speed after the turn. Still not as fast as the red one, but it makes flying it more enjoyable.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Sep 29, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:30 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh View Post
two weeks ago I received a blue rev. 5 bird which does the pendulum and oscillating motions on every flight. It
I had one that had really bad pendulum and oscillating motions that I just couldn't enjoy flying it so returned it. the replacement did not have this issue.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Sep 29, 2010, 03:35 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,279 Posts
Seems like the longer charge times are not caused by the USB charger, even with the charger that came with the rev 5 bird it takes much longer to charge the battery, even though I didn't fly it very long. Flew the red one just as long, and this was full after 35 minutes, the yellow rev 5 one has been connected for over 45 minutes and is still charging...

Edit: same flight time, but on the rev 5 bird it takes 15 minutes longer to get the battery charged again. Also, the led on the USB charger doesn't shine as brightly to indicate full battery, it's more like a shimmering light. Perhaps they did this to make sure you see the difference between no connection with the heli, and battery full indication.
Last edited by SoloProFan; Sep 29, 2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:02 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Is This My Board?

OK, I've been reading your posts on the two boards the S107 can come with. I shined my flashlight through the side of my 107's metal frame, and towards the front, there is printing on the circuit board that reads, "S107R3". Does that indicate that I have the "3" version of the board?

Oh, and closer to the center of the board near the spur gear, it says "RoHS" encircled by an oval mark.

Hey, all I want to do is to learn.

Cheers,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:05 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
OK, I've been reading your posts on the two boards the S107 can come with. I shined my flashlight through the side of my 107's metal frame, and towards the front, there is printing on the circuit board that reads, "S107R3". Does that indicate that I have the "3" version of the board?

Oh, and closer to the center of the board near the spur gear, it says "RoHS" encircled by an oval mark.

Cheers,
Ed
That is a revision 3 board. Congratulations.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:19 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
That is a revision 3 board. Congratulations.
Thanks for your answer. I take it that your enthusiasm means having the revision 3 board is a GOOD THING!

Cheers,
Ed
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:43 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,279 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. I take it that your enthusiasm means having the revision 3 board is a GOOD THING!

Cheers,
Ed
My rev 3 has much faster control than my rev 5 and longer flight times too. Both fly well, but the rev 3 is just more agile, especially on turning.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
My rev 3 has much faster control than my rev 5 and longer flight times too. Both fly well, but the rev 3 is just more agile, especially on turning.
I find My rev 5 turns slower CW than CCW
The REV 3 firebird turns alot quicker in both directions than the s107 I have.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:51 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:

Cheers,
Ed
just checked mine right now and it also says S107R3
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
I Flew My S107 Outdoors For The First Time

Since the sun was low in the horizon, and there was almost no wind, I decided to chance flying the 107 outside while my lady friend and I were sitting on our lawn chairs on the driveway.

I had a blast flying the thing around with no fear of colliding with anything. But when it got about 15 feet away, it would start to lose the IR signal from the transmitter.

There was still some sunlight, and though the sun sets in opposite direction to the front of the house, and we were in shade, I think the clouds east of us, were still reflecting enough sunlight to interfere with the 107's reception of the signal. I didn't have any trouble dealing with the light breeze.

Now I'm wanting to get an outdoor helicopter in a bad way.

Cheers,
Ed
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:27 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
just checked mine right now and it also says S107R3
Good. It may be worthwhile to replace any worn/damaged parts unless the board itself goes.

Happy flying...
Ed
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:29 PM
No. Calif Bay Area
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgroucho View Post
Here you go http://http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3477086.

This is from a blue S107 I bought earlier this month.
Thanks; now I know what to look for as it does appear that the board is laid out completely different than the Rev. 3's....

I just got the office shipment in (18 units) so I will ask the owners to check which ones we have in this group. All three of my S107s, a Firebird, and a replacement board I purchased are all Rev. 3s.... I wonder now if the Rev. 5s were just another supplier and Syma recognized the inferior design and went back to using Rev. 3s?
Duck05 is offline Find More Posts by Duck05
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:43 PM
High Voltage
Motorcity
Joined Sep 2010
328 Posts
Just checked mine out after a great couple more flights. Both my birds have the R3 boards.

I noticed with fresh batteries the Tx range is much further, i got about 30 ft range with brand new Duracells
shock is offline Find More Posts by shock
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:53 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:

Now I'm wanting to get an outdoor helicopter in a bad way.

Cheers,
Ed
It's always like this. That's why I started with a S107, then a S032, then a Firebird and now with an Esky Lama V4 Orange and a Honey Bee Fixed Pitch V2.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:59 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
Just checked mine out after a great couple more flights. Both my birds have the R3 boards.

I noticed with fresh batteries the Tx range is much further, i got about 30 ft range with brand new Duracells

Yeah, these IR transmitters eat batteries like nobody business! That's why I got this special battery charger; it is new technology that recharges regular disposable AA or AAA alkalines; I've been using it now for about a month and it works great and has saved me a bundle in aa batteries:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-206-_-Product

I got my first one when it was on sale for Sale for $20 and free shipping but recently it was on sale again for sale $24 plus free shipping; picked another one. They just came out a new model that also does C, D, and 9V batts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-179-_-Product
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap