HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:39 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Woo Hoo...My own dear Sweet is considering same (while flying a helicopter, she said this, making it relevant), but in response to Stage 1 Cancer survival. More power to her, and if we need a wheelbarrow to carry them (while flying a helicopter), and replace them every few years* for (bigger and better helicopters), so be it.
You only live once (be sure to fly an S107 helicopter before you die), I say live it up, get yours.

I just love the fleeting smile that flicks across her (non-copter flying, vegetarian, religion-injecting, swearless) MOTHER's face when I ask her (while flying an S107 clone this time) "So. You're waiting 'til your NEXT life to be a Heathen?"

*You've seen how I can treat my toys.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
173 Posts
WhaTF is a registered flight?
salazam is offline Find More Posts by salazam
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:41 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salazam View Post
WhaTF is a registered flight?
Registered, noted, kept track or record of. I mean I have a little spreadsheet in which I keep a record of my flights after hearing some S107 die prematurely.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:58 AM
No. Calif Bay Area
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
My black Firebird is now unflyable due to the yaw instability. It is also having some trouble with the board and or gyro intermittently.
When totally cool it can usually fly fine for a minute or so, then begins to become jittery and unstable, often spinning to the right even when using full left trim. Doesn't matter which transmitter.
Last night the gyro light would sometimes begin blinking during flight or wouldn't go steady for about 30 seconds when turning on the heli while it sat on the pad untouched.
I guess I'll just keep it for the spare parts and spare transmitter. So far though I haven't broken any parts on any of the others.
Why not replace the PCB? $6-8 tops... and your time... Beats $40 for a new one.... (and you will learn how to take one apart and put it back together.)
Duck05 is offline Find More Posts by Duck05
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:02 AM
No. Calif Bay Area
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
25 registered flights (and perhaps the same amount unregistered) and my S107 is still going strong. Mine has rev 3 board.
So far all of the ones I've looked at (about 6 or 7) are all "S107R3" printed on the board.... Have not seen a "5" yet.....
Duck05 is offline Find More Posts by Duck05
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:51 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
So far all of the ones I've looked at (about 6 or 7) are all "S107R3" printed on the board.... Have not seen a "5" yet.....
Purchased two S107's within the last 2 weeks and both are rev 5 ith the gyro standing up on the board.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2010
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

Here you go http://http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3477086.

This is from a blue S107 I bought earlier this month.
jrgroucho is offline Find More Posts by jrgroucho
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:01 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I got a chance to look at one of the S107 gear-trains at Fry's. These have the later intermediate shafts that lack "heads" to hold the idler gears in place.
These reportedly slip out of mesh.
I think the solution may be to slightly trim the stub off a gear to fix this.

There are two gears on shaft "C" in this pic. The upper one has a stub that spaces the lower gear away from it. I think the "design" was for the gears to keep each other in place...wonky.
On the copter I looked at, it appeared that some flashing or poor molding was keeping these two gears too far apart. This allows enough space for the idler gear to move out of mesh with its pinion drive from the motor.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:06 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,916 Posts
My second S107 came in today. I had ordered a red one but got a yellow instead. Well, perhaps even better, it does look at least as cool as the red one, upon closer inspection. It has the rev 5 board. I am charging it up now, and will take her up when that is done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:44 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Rev 3 or 5?

Maybe I haven't followed the thread as carefully as I should but is there an advantage of one board over the other?

Cheers,
Ed
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:13 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
Maybe I haven't followed the thread as carefully as I should but is there an advantage of one board over the other?

Cheers,
Ed
It seems to be that way. I have both boards now, and the one with the rev 5 receiver has much lower piro-rate. The S107 is not very fast on piros, but with my red one I can make it spin very fast by taking back throttle while giving full rudder. The heli will loose height rapidly, but also spin around like crazy. This trick won't work with my rev 5 board heli. Even when I take back throttle, it still keeps spinning slowly while losing height.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
It seems to be that way. I have both boards now, and the one with the rev 5 receiver has much lower piro-rate. The S107 is not very fast on piros, but with my red one I can make it spin very fast by taking back throttle while giving full rudder. The heli will loose height rapidly, but also spin around like crazy. This trick won't work with my rev 5 board heli. Even when I take back throttle, it still keeps spinning slowly while losing height.
I notice this same difference between my firebird rev 3 board compared to the S107 Rev 5
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
I notice this same difference between my firebird rev 3 board compared to the S107 Rev 5
I just flew my "old" rev 3 red S107 but I was shocked. It is so much faster I almost flew it straight into my head on the first fast circuit.

I estimate it turns about 3 to 4 times as fast. Forward speed is more or less equal, but because you can't make it "speed turn" to gain more forward momentum. It feels like the rev 5 is in beginner mode, with all control "travel" (except forward reverse) reduced to 40% or so. Ideal for someone with zero heli experience, it is now even more stable, but if you are used to zipping your S107 around the room, you'd better take it in your hand and move it yourself...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:16 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,717 Posts
Well a few months ago I bought a yellow rev.3 S107 which flies just beautifully after 60+ flights, two weeks ago I received a blue rev. 5 bird which does the pendulum and oscillating motions on every flight. It seems to me the the earlier rev.3s were much more stable.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:31 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
I got a chance to look at one of the S107 gear-trains at Fry's. These have the later intermediate shafts that lack "heads" to hold the idler gears in place.
These reportedly slip out of mesh.
I think the solution may be to slightly trim the stub off a gear to fix this.

There are two gears on shaft "C" in this pic. The upper one has a stub that spaces the lower gear away from it. I think the "design" was for the gears to keep each other in place...wonky.
On the copter I looked at, it appeared that some flashing or poor molding was keeping these two gears too far apart. This allows enough space for the idler gear to move out of mesh with its pinion drive from the motor.
OK, so how much does Fry's get for the S107 in-store?
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap