HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:33 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,734 Posts
S107 Yo Yo

My blue S107 started acting like a yo yo.
I was 2 min into the flight and about 8 feet off the ground and without moving the throttle the s107 lost power and descended quickly to the ground. Just befor hitting the ground it shot back up in the air hovered a few seconds and then repeated the process. I held the The throttle on the controller in a fixed position as this scenario occurred.
Has anyone experienced intermittent power loss like this befor?
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:45 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamion View Post
2 min total of flight time and this thing can’t fly anymore, what a waste of money! I’m going to ask for a refund and try a different model.
--Deamion
Sorry to hear your also having trouble. It's hit or miss with these things it seems and you were just unlucky to get a bad one.
Try not to get to frustrated with it. Try another s107 or better yet get a firebird and give that a try.
When you get a good one you see it was well worth it in the end.
I love my firebirds so far but have been unlucky and received two defective S107 helis. Others have received perfectly good S107's so its all in the luck of the draw.
I'm waiting for the Syma S026 mini Chinook to arrive on Friday so I can give that a try.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:53 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty123 View Post
Ok rotor blades then, sorry but english is not my native language (I'm from Hungary) :P

About the skid: I discovered that the end of one of the landing rods was a little bent, so i tried to straighten it out. Next second the end part broke down, behind the screw. Nothing serious, just an aesthetic issue. Glueing it back was not lasting, i'd probably need some better glue. Anyway, spare parts are so cheap, that I just ordered a whole spare landing gear.
I do apologise, I should have noticed you were from Hungary and English would not be your first language

You are correct when you say spare parts are cheap, I have a few spares for my S107's but chances are the part I break will be the one part I do not have

I have found super glue very useful to have at hand, I hit a table and broke the stabiliser flybar just where the weight is. When I found the broken off piece it was a clean break so a few spots of super glue and it still works four weeks later, of course I now have two flybars lying in the spares tray waiting for me to hit the next table

Fly high and safe
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:54 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom DB View Post
the first flight reports: So far, so good. I've flown eight sorties of no more than 5 minutes each I'm not currently experiencing any flight anomalies whatsoever and have been flying circuits around the living room and starting on figure eights, pirouettes and spiral descents. IOWs, I'm having a helluva lot of fun and the heli is performing like a champ (so far).
Thats Great Tom
love to hear about the good s107's out there. I'm sure if I would keep trying I would get a good one eventually as well. With the Two good firebirds I don't need anymore of this type so I guess I will never find out if the third try would have been the charm.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:59 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
My blue S107 started acting like a yo yo.
I was 2 min into the flight and about 8 feet off the ground and without moving the throttle the s107 lost power and descended quickly to the ground. Just befor hitting the ground it shot back up in the air hovered a few seconds and then repeated the process. I held the The throttle on the controller in a fixed position as this scenario occurred.
Has anyone experienced intermittent power loss like this befor?

The only experience I have had of losing power was when I flew in front of the television so the screen may have been too bright and blocked the signal somehow. When it dropped below the television screen it regained power and shot back into the air. I now fly with the television turned off and this seems to have solved this problem.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:00 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Just don't forget that these little works on IR and alot of things can emit IR signal. Just try under sunlight, you will see how it's acting.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:21 AM
Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
The only experience I have had of losing power was when I flew in front of the television so the screen may have been too bright and blocked the signal somehow. When it dropped below the television screen it regained power and shot back into the air. I now fly with the television turned off and this seems to have solved this problem.
Yeah, I experienced exactly the same when flying near the television screen. Remember to turn off the television when they are to fly their S107's and other similar helicopters
pepiche is offline Find More Posts by pepiche
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:01 AM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
YES! This must have been it, It was happening right in front of the TV.
I Have also experienced Temp loss of control when the s107 passes infront of a window so I keep all the blinds closed. I was flying my firebird and the wife came home and opened the verticals on the sliding glass door and the firebird went into the wall. This is a con with any IR controlled Heli. I was use to the RC controlled MCX2 where these type of things are not a problem.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:02 AM
Joined Aug 2010
22 Posts
Speaking of stunt flying; I've been able to drop-spin and recover well for a while now. Practicing hard and heavy on my spot landings - a mini CD on top of a barstool. The other day I overshot my landing target and it went to the right. Without a moments hesitation, I backed it into a descending half circle and landed spot on! (pure luck but I'd give my left one if it was on video! LOL).
I'm flying like a maniac most of the time now, zooming here and spining a 720, zooming up to the ceiling fan just missing it; spinning and dropping under the furniture.... etc. After a while your thumb movements become natural without even thinking about it.

I'm gonna wreck her one of these days! (Then I'll get another!) Love my S107.
Desso is offline Find More Posts by Desso
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
My Yellow S107 arrived a couple of days early from Xheli via Amazon super saver shipping (still longer than China shipping though!) At least it was very low price to make up for the wait.
Most importantly it is absolutely perfect, probably the best flyer of all 4 of this type I have now received.
In addition my Blue and Red continue to fly well.
I have isolated the problem with my Black Firebird and will try to CA or epoxy the lower rotor hub-and-shaft assembly to the lower drive shaft tonight. Simply pressing it back down into proper position won't hold.
What's the rate of success on this repair with these polished metal shafts?
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Last edited by soundguy63; Sep 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:15 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
YES! This must have been it, It was happening right in front of the TV.
I Have also experienced Temp loss of control when the s107 passes infront of a window so I keep all the blinds closed. I was flying my firebird and the wife came home and opened the verticals on the sliding glass door and the firebird went into the wall. This is a con with any IR controlled Heli. I was use to the RC controlled MCX2 where these type of things are not a problem.

Yep! that's why I only fly my IR birds indoors and only if all drapes are closed during the day or I fly in the evening under the flourescent lighting; additionally I have to keep the windows closed as these fly weight birds get pushed around with the air currents in a fairly large room like my hobby room where I fly.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Soon after I received my Blue S107 I shot it down from about 8 feet altitude by flying too close under a bright fluorescent light that I had forgotten to turn off. I think the "modern" high-speed fluorescent lamps are more of a threat and this fixture certainly fit that category.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
I have isolated the problem with my Black Firebird and will try to CA or epoxy the lower rotor hub-and-shaft assembly to the lower drive shaft tonight. Simply pressing it back down into proper position won't hold.
What's the rate of success on this repair with these polished metal shafts?
Did the gear slip off the shaft?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
No, the gear and lower drive shaft are fine.
And the lower rotor hub and its support shaft are fine.
The two shafts just don't have enough friction to stay bound together.
Last edited by soundguy63; Sep 23, 2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:37 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Fixes

Soundguy,
you know those tiny rubber bands that ortodontists use to hold braces? They could be used as a retainer to keep that assembly from riding up the shaft.
Kmax is offline Find More Posts by Kmax