HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfisher View Post
Neat blog thanks, get yourself a ac powered usb that cuts the charge time down to 40mins. Much faster then that and you are over 1c and the battery will not last as long.
Thanks.. I use my PC's USB to charge it which is AC powered. Times are are a little over an hour.
spinningbladesrc is offline Find More Posts by spinningbladesrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:31 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
yeah thats cause its only putting out around 100mv
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:29 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
My S107 did arrive last Friday night after I had already left town, but I've flown it Monday night and again tonight.
It's truly awesome even if my piloting skills aren't! Actually I think my piloting skills are ok I just need to find a space with NO air conditioning at all.
The current space I'm using has a continuous flow of air so light you'd never notice it unless flying a mini-heli... And there's no way to shut it off unless I make a quick detach vent cover.
I've been careful to keep flying time to under 5 minutes, which of course is over so quickly it's hard to actually feel like you're building up repeatable skills for navigating and landing in a chosen spot while battling the AC breezes.
Charging is going well, 25 minutes for first charge out of the box. Second charge took about 40 minutes.
Looking forward to my second one arriving from HK at some point soon, then I'll probably get a third one from the US again. These things really are addictive!
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:40 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh View Post
Are you sure these are not fake, I haven't heard of any upgrades, though I could be wrong.
Your guess is as good as mine mate! Although if they are fakes I must say they're incredibly well built ones (apart from the aforementioned problem). I'm returning them to the store today, so I'll try and take a couple of photos and upload them later. I might also add, if they are fakes I don't think the store is in on it. I'm a bit pedantic about stuff I purchase, and I've scrutinized the S107 down to the last detail lol...and they did have the more usual looking ones there selling alongside as well.

In fact I was given one of those, but when I noticed the differences between mine and my friends yellow one I inquired and was given the "updated" version.
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:26 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
I get 40-min charges on computer USB as well. Computers can vary, but the USB standard is supposed to be 5V 500mA.

Welcome Soundguy. I've got 2 too, one is Firebird. I fly mine outdoors. The slightest draft messes with them. Sometimes you can just wait it out. Other times it lands one on the roof like it did mine last week. It rescued itself once I got the infrared sightline above the roofline.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:13 PM
No. Calif Bay Area
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdude View Post
Well I bought an S107 a couple weeks ago and love it. So I decided to purchase a 2nd one from xheli.com. Im having issues with this one though. I took out of box and charged up. When I add power, the unit will just stay on ground and slowly spin to the left. I saw somewhere earlier people had this problem but I have inspected everything and all seems fine. After my 1st failed attempt, I thought maybe it wasnt fully charged so I went to charge and when I plug in usb cable to heli, the light stays on. I tried the charger from 1st heli and same problem. It doesnt seem to want to take a charge. I contacted xheli about it and waiting for a response.
Plan on waiting a very long time for that response. I have a unit with the exact same issue from them and after 4 emails and 2 phone calls they never replied. I have since used another source for more copters (one of which was also bad out of the box but they replaced it - take a note Xheli!!!!),

Keeps us updated if you get it replaced or figure out what to repair.....
Duck05 is offline Find More Posts by Duck05
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:24 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,051 Posts
my flybar broke right at the weight for the 3rd time. I was using super glue but JB weld works a lot better and is stronger. two part epoxy probably works well too.
Jetskeeter is offline Find More Posts by Jetskeeter
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:19 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
I was just wondering if anybody here has heard of or seen an apparently "updated" version of the SYMA S107? I purchased one recently, the vendor also had the "old batch" selling alongside. The only differences appear to be metal "grips" (is that the right word?) that hold the rotor blades, a thicker tail boom and an updated socket for the charger (round insead of square with two pins). Mechanically, and everything else is still the same as far as I can tell. I scrutinized both models side by side for a while, and the vendor assured me that the "new batch" was better for whatever reason.

I wish I could say more, but to be honest they've given me and a couple of friends nothing but grief thus far. As I mentioned in another thread, one day in and ones of the gears have come loose...a common problem with the S107 I've been led to believe?
Hi Judo JoNny,
I have, this morning, taken delivery of two S107's and they both have the square charger socket and plastic rotor "grips". These two helis are identical to the first two I bought months ago.
There were two differences, one was in the packing, my first ones came with vacuum formed clear plastic, the two I received today had polystyrene packaging and the second was the box had S107-G on it compared to S107 on the first ones. Hope this helps you in some way - cheers
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:20 AM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post
Plan on waiting a very long time for that response. I have a unit with the exact same issue from them and after 4 emails and 2 phone calls they never replied. I have since used another source for more copters (one of which was also bad out of the box but they replaced it - take a note Xheli!!!!),

Keeps us updated if you get it replaced or figure out what to repair.....
Actually I got an Email yesterday from xheli about my issue and they sent an RMA number to exchange the heli !! I did have to pay for shipping it back ( no problem as I live in Vegas and they in LA area)

Here is a copy of Email I sent them ::

I just purchased Syma s107 . When attempting 1st flight heli just stays on ground and spins to left. Also I thought maybe battery not fully charged. When I plugged in to charge , it will not start charging. The light on usb plug stays lit. It is supposed to go off when charging started. I purchased an s107 a few weeks earlier from you and that one works fine. order number on this last unit is 922893 Thanks in advance.

Here is their 1st reply ::

are there any bad parts that can be returned & exchanged (ie battery charger)

Best Regards,

Xheli.com

My 2nd email ::

Actually, I tried the charger from 1st s107 which i know works, and same problem, the light stays on. It will not charge nor will it take off. This unit obviously was not tested before it was shipped to me. Thank you.

And now their answer : :

Dear Customer,

Your RMA number is 922893. We advise you
to keep this email for your own reference.

**Please return your S107-MiniHeli-Blue in for exchange.

Please consider the following steps to help us to
process your returned package:

1) Write the RMA number clearly on the outside
of the returned package box

2) Fill out the form below and place it inside the
returned package to explain the issue briefly
(without this form will delay the returning process
significantly).

Please note that it will take 5 to 10 business days for
our technical staff to process your package.

Please ship the item(s) to the following address:

XHeli -- RMA922893
13240 Amar Rd.

La Puente, CA 91746
US

Best Regards,
XHeli

So I cant complain about customer service. Will see how long it actually takes to get my exchange. The unit I sent back will arrive in their hands Wed 9-1
Vegasdude is offline Find More Posts by Vegasdude
Old Sep 01, 2010, 07:51 AM
Joined Aug 2010
22 Posts
READY TO MOVE UP...

I love my Syma S107 and will continue to fly it till the rotors fall off and the battery blows up like a blimp and dies. And then I'll get another one or get the updated indoor version (if there is one). I can now control it well and even land it on a miniature cd disc (about half the time - nearly 100% of the time on a regular CD disc).
I really would love a bigger outdoor heli and am wondering if I should make the jump to 4 channel yet, or just get a bigger 3 channel?
What do you guys (and gals) recommend as far as number of channels and make/model?

As always,
TIA
Desso is offline Find More Posts by Desso
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:22 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desso View Post
READY TO MOVE UP...

I love my Syma S107 and will continue to fly it till the rotors fall off and the battery blows up like a blimp and dies. And then I'll get another one or get the updated indoor version (if there is one). I can now control it well and even land it on a miniature cd disc (about half the time - nearly 100% of the time on a regular CD disc).
I really would love a bigger outdoor heli and am wondering if I should make the jump to 4 channel yet, or just get a bigger 3 channel?
What do you guys (and gals) recommend as far as number of channels and make/model?

As always,
TIA
4 ch for sure!
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:43 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
4 ch for sure!
Indeed. If you want to keep practicing indoor an MCX/MCX2 or Solo/Draco might be a wise choice. And when you've mastered true mode 1 or mode 2 control, you might get an FP of the same brand you got the 4 channel from, so you can get a BnF and save some bucks...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:12 AM
Looking for the perfect heli
Morton, IL
Joined Jan 2005
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desso View Post
READY TO MOVE UP...

As always,
TIA

I'm in a similar position. Looking at the Blade mSR 4ch (DX6i package from Chief $260).
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/rcmsec/...BNFCombos.html
It's still tiny, but is supposed to be very stable.

~M
Michael_Blue is offline Find More Posts by Michael_Blue
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Hi Judo JoNny,
I have, this morning, taken delivery of two S107's and they both have the square charger socket and plastic rotor "grips". These two helis are identical to the first two I bought months ago.
There were two differences, one was in the packing, my first ones came with vacuum formed clear plastic, the two I received today had polystyrene packaging and the second was the box had S107-G on it compared to S107 on the first ones. Hope this helps you in some way - cheers
Hey scotsoft,
I've managed to return my S107's to the store. After a bit of debate he finally decided to honour the replacements. I've found that there IS a difference in the gear/shaft combo between the regular S107 and the updated model I was given. I've received one replacement, which was in the same vacuum formed plastic as you've described and I'm awaiting two more this Friday as he was out of stock. Thanks for sharing your experience though mate, btw I'm posting pictures of the "updated" model in the "Known SYMA problems" thread...so if you're interested check that out.

(edit: Just wondering, is there a difference between the old S107's you purchased, and the newly arrived "S107-G"? Or is it just the packaging?)
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:58 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
S107-G
G??? S017 is already Gyro, isn't it? That's not logical...
Just like S031 is bigger than S032... bu S006 is same size as S032. S022 is bigger than S026....
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007