HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2010, 03:24 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Small stick movements are the key, Felix - especially when you're starting out. I love the responsiveness of this model to the tiniest input.

Also, don't forget that after you've flown a couple of minutes in a room, the air will be disturbed (especially if you've been whizzing round) so when you go into a hover the heli sometimes bounces about a bit - it isn't necessarily toilet bowl effect.

It's surprising how much air those blade can move; fly it over your head and you'll feel quite a blast!
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:39 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
First flight good = good. Close to the ground there's a moving pillow of pressurized air that makes control less predictable. Called ground effect. Even fullscale fixedwings have it, but it bothers them less because the unstable air is always behind them.

107 does indeed have the smoothest proportional stick of all the 3ch submicros.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:12 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Question for Killbucket
I have seen these advertised, did a search here and came up with this post of yours from a few weeks ago. May I ask if you own any of these helis? If yes, what are they like compared to the beloved S107?
If they are any good I quite like the look of them and would like a few.
Thank you
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 28, 2010, 05:48 PM
Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Hi Scotsoft,

I have a UDI U802. It flies very well and is super resistant. Apparently, the chassis and electronics on board are similar, only changes the canopy and motors, which in this model are No. 7. (U802 is No. 6) Greetings!

Name: U802.jpg
Views: 159
Size: 78.1 KB
Description: Name: U802_3.jpg
Views: 209
Size: 71.3 KB
Description: Name: U802_1.jpg
Views: 198
Size: 72.3 KB
Description:

U802

正妹第一次&戰龍直昇機.wmv (2 min 18 sec)

U807

戰神.wmv (3 min 44 sec)
pepiche is offline Find More Posts by pepiche
Last edited by pepiche; Aug 28, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:46 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,703 Posts
Thank you Pepiche for your information, I think I will be placing an order for a few
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:54 AM
Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Thank you Pepiche for your information, I think I will be placing an order for a few
You're welcome

Happy flights!
pepiche is offline Find More Posts by pepiche
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:29 PM
Germany
Joined Dec 2004
80 Posts
Hey guys,

Has anyone succesfully modded the 107 to use external battery packs? I created a post in the beginner heli subforum but figured I'd ask here as well.

Thoughts were if I got the cg right and removed tail fins etc I could be really close to original weight and have 5-6 packs on hand.
Elhungarian is offline Find More Posts by Elhungarian
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:53 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
I was just wondering if anybody here has heard of or seen an apparently "updated" version of the SYMA S107? I purchased one recently, the vendor also had the "old batch" selling alongside. The only differences appear to be metal "grips" (is that the right word?) that hold the rotor blades, a thicker tail boom and an updated socket for the charger (round insead of square with two pins). Mechanically, and everything else is still the same as far as I can tell. I scrutinized both models side by side for a while, and the vendor assured me that the "new batch" was better for whatever reason.

I wish I could say more, but to be honest they've given me and a couple of friends nothing but grief thus far. As I mentioned in another thread, one day in and ones of the gears have come loose...a common problem with the S107 I've been led to believe?
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:54 AM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
I dont see how more weight is a upgrade, but I could be wrong.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:24 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfisher View Post
I dont see how more weight is a upgrade, but I could be wrong.
If I were to take a guess, I'd say the metal blade holders would be more durable? The charger socket is definitely much better, I have the double pin one on my 9098, and although it's not too bad, it can be a pain in the ass...not to mention it seems fragile.

Anyway, I've decided to take these new "updated" models back to the store tomorrow and ask for replacements, I'll gladly take the old batch since at least they're a proven entity.
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:34 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Never heard of metal blade grip... Anyway, the original plastic blade holder are super solid.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Aug 31, 2010, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
9 Posts
thanks to all of you. this has been a great thread for me. i'm a a newb in the hobby and bought a S107 as my first heli. i also started a blog for those fellow newbs who want to read about what I learn along the way. end goal is to have fun and become a good pilot... maybe some stunts. heres the link to the blog.. http://spinningblades.blogspot.com

i'll probably be buying another S107 because the 1 hour charging time is driving me nutz.

thanks again for all the great insight.
spinningbladesrc is offline Find More Posts by spinningbladesrc
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
8 Posts
s107 problems

Well I bought an S107 a couple weeks ago and love it. So I decided to purchase a 2nd one from xheli.com. Im having issues with this one though. I took out of box and charged up. When I add power, the unit will just stay on ground and slowly spin to the left. I saw somewhere earlier people had this problem but I have inspected everything and all seems fine. After my 1st failed attempt, I thought maybe it wasnt fully charged so I went to charge and when I plug in usb cable to heli, the light stays on. I tried the charger from 1st heli and same problem. It doesnt seem to want to take a charge. I contacted xheli about it and waiting for a response.
Vegasdude is offline Find More Posts by Vegasdude
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:44 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningbladesrc View Post
thanks to all of you. this has been a great thread for me. i'm a a newb in the hobby and bought a S107 as my first heli. i also started a blog for those fellow newbs who want to read about what I learn along the way. end goal is to have fun and become a good pilot... maybe some stunts. heres the link to the blog.. http://spinningblades.blogspot.com

i'll probably be buying another S107 because the 1 hour charging time is driving me nutz.

thanks again for all the great insight.
Neat blog thanks, get yourself a ac powered usb that cuts the charge time down to 40mins. Much faster then that and you are over 1c and the battery will not last as long.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:07 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
I was just wondering if anybody here has heard of or seen an apparently "updated" version of the SYMA S107? I purchased one recently, the vendor also had the "old batch" selling alongside. The only differences appear to be metal "grips" (is that the right word?) that hold the rotor blades, a thicker tail boom and an updated socket for the charger (round insead of square with two pins). Mechanically, and everything else is still the same as far as I can tell. I scrutinized both models side by side for a while, and the vendor assured me that the "new batch" was better for whatever reason.

I wish I could say more, but to be honest they've given me and a couple of friends nothing but grief thus far. As I mentioned in another thread, one day in and ones of the gears have come loose...a common problem with the S107 I've been led to believe?
Are you sure these are not fake, I haven't heard of any upgrades, though I could be wrong.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh