SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
If you want a commercial grappling hook and targets...
http://www.clubheli.com/Grappling-Ho...ed_p_2390.html
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:38 PM
WI, USA
Joined May 2010
38 Posts
I like to set up several "landing zones", such as different size boxes spread out around the room, and fly and land from one to the other. You can change the order of flight and see who gets the best time!
Denny1 is offline Find More Posts by Denny1
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:05 PM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
Has anyone ever tried to do a mod like the Air Hogs Sharp Shooter? That'd be pretty awesome, especially on the Apache w/gyro (S009G) from Syma.
larkemon is offline Find More Posts by larkemon
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post
A piece of card tied with cotton thread to the skids then a bent paper clip taped to the underside, job done.
Well I just took a paperclip and bent it into the hook then just slid it under the little opening in the canopy on the bottom works like a charm
skip924 is offline Find More Posts by skip924
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:13 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkemon View Post
Has anyone ever tried to do a mod like the Air Hogs Sharp Shooter? That'd be pretty awesome, especially on the Apache w/gyro (S009G) from Syma.
I think Kill Bucket has, if you have a read back or search in this thread you will see a few posts about it.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:03 AM
Roswell, GA
Joined Jun 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post
I think Kill Bucket has, if you have a read back or search in this thread you will see a few posts about it.
Only reference I found was this from Killbucket is this:

"I see the SharpShooter being discounted already, par for AirHog's course, now 60-odd products in their short history. Not much time for any one offering to live, I'd be jumping on one NOW if I wanted one (I don't), because I feel it didn't go over well with Mommies. IMHO.
If overgrown Children like myself don't want it either, it's DOA. I'll buy about anything called a "toy"...

The Sharp Shooter is 2-channel. They must have a tiny Billy Zane inside to do the sharp shooting, because it cannot hover.
Still, pretty cool idea. Nice to hear it's NOT that ghetto foam stuff they like to use, ugh."
larkemon is offline Find More Posts by larkemon
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:23 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
If they'd stuck the guns on sideways, like this thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AC...ons_flares.jpg
Spectre Gunship
Then it would be a bit more fearsome.

I'm sure Youtube can find examples of armed copters.

My personal preference would be a bomb-release: no cg change if done properly, and it would have practical uses too: "Hey, fly a cig over to me" - type stuff.
I could have a copter air-drop Milk-Bones, and REALLY screw with my dogs.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larkemon View Post
that would be really awesome if you find something like that if you do put it up
skip924 is offline Find More Posts by skip924
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

This morning's project. Now converting this to a CAD drawing for easy refinement...

More pics here:
S107 copter Gallery #9
Last edited by killbucket; Jul 24, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:56 AM
mSR noob, S107, SH6023/25
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
My personal preference would be a bomb-release: no cg change if done properly, and it would have practical uses too: "Hey, fly a cig over to me" - type stuff.
I could have a copter air-drop Milk-Bones, and REALLY screw with my dogs.
hmmm i seem to remember several copters (of the poo-variety) that had a light control switch... Should be easy to rig up a relay and release off that circuit -- if only i owned one...
temporary1 is offline Find More Posts by temporary1
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:50 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Really nice work on that wire S107! I'm curious about a couple of things...

Was this the S107 that was done with copper wire in your light weight parts area of your website?
What is it's all up weight?
What is the yellower colour metal, it's not copper is it?
And finaly, was it all done with wire cutters and a soldering iron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporary1 View Post
hmmm i seem to remember several copters (of the poo-variety) that had a light control switch... Should be easy to rig up a relay and release off that circuit -- if only i owned one...
easy enough to do, just have the release catch/motor/actuator hooked up to a picooz pcb main motor out put, just open the throttle on the Picooz Tx and your chopper will drop it's load.

Hey Killbucket, if you could make a S032 drop doggy treats maybe your male dog would stop ignoring it.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Really nice work on that wire S107! I'm curious about a couple of things...

Was this the S107 that was done with copper wire in your light weight parts area of your website?
What is it's all up weight?
What is the yellower colour metal, it's not copper is it?
And finaly, was it all done with wire cutters and a soldering iron?

easy enough to do, just have the release catch/motor/actuator hooked up to a picooz pcb main motor out put, just open the throttle on the Picooz Tx and your chopper will drop it's load.

Hey Killbucket, if you could make a S032 drop doggy treats maybe your male dog would stop ignoring it.
This is a different S107, a fresh one for the project. As photographed so far, it's equal to stock in weight. The yellow metal is .05" brass wire, stretched to straighten it. All done with wire cutters, needle-nose pliers, and a 20+ year old Weller WCC100 soldering Station that KLA threw out while I was working there (I took it home and fixed it, been using it ever since).

If I'd stopped there, it would have been a nice little success. But then I wouldn't be Killbucket...
Pics to follow...

With all of the IR Tx's I have
it would be easy to set up a multi-function armed copter.
S022 Chinook would be my choice for a platform- it's got the lift capacity and size to keep it all from being a nightmare.

He wouldn't accept a treat from a copter.
I myself have to be in "His Good Graces" before he'll eat one I give him!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:28 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
579 Posts
If a heli gives treats it would have the opposite effect, the heli would always be attacked.

You can buy a tin of liquid plastic stuff in which you make a wire shape and dunk it in, once dry it gives a plastic film stretched over the gap rather like a soapy solution over a wire hoop before blowing bubbles from it, maybe the wire copters could be 'filled in' with that stuff?
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:29 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Brass wire, check! So the brass wire is stiffer than copper?

I may need to make a custom wire airframe for the jaws II Hughes 300c.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:39 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Brilliant idea- and that's how a lot of nano-scale planes and copters are done already!
Painted packing tape would work pretty well, too.

I've added the CAD outline to the page for this project (linked above) in a .dxf.
I'll update the file as changes occur.
Built as shown, it's a bit on the porky side. But no fear, I'm going to use uber-tiny aluminum tubing and little copper joints made of wire, to do Revision 2.
EDIT: Brass is stiffer, but heavier. Go copper where possible. My build here was more exploratory than anything else.

I'm drawing up a sheet-aluminum fuselage also, that will be easier to make LIGHT.
Last edited by killbucket; Jul 25, 2010 at 05:32 PM.