HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:38 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jul 2010
7 Posts
Amazing site and awesome thread here! I'm a total novice with RC Helis and only by accident stumbled upon the S107. It's one of the BEST purchases I've ever made. Mine arrived in the mail over the weekend and I took it for a few spins. I was extremely surprised at the control and maneuverability. By Sunday I had it landing on a 12" by 12" chair, flying around poles in our basement and successfully hovering in one place.

I do have a quick question though. I would like to purchase a few replacement parts for those "just in case" moments. I followed a link to a site that carries all sorts of parts posted earlier in this thread and was just curious if any one here could recommend a few things I should keep on hand. I love taking things apart, so feel fully comfortable replacing any of the more major components.

Oh and this is a pretty big thread and I wasn't sure what the easiest method of charging would be? I have an iPod charger that plugs into the wall and has a female USB plug for charging. Would this be a bad idea?

I'd also appreciate some advice on what types of tools I would need? I'm assuming a tiny phillips screw driver...

Thanks!

Cisco
The Cisco Kid is offline Find More Posts by The Cisco Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:55 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I have nine S107 variants.

I can confidently state that you don't 'need' anything for just in case.

Just in case won't happen, if you can fly it with a fair amount of collision avoidance.

That said, the tail fin likes to break if gripped by a pitbull.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jul 06, 2010, 02:56 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jul 2010
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
I have nine S107 variants.

I can confidently state that you don't 'need' anything for just in case.

Just in case won't happen, if you can fly it with a fair amount of collision avoidance.

That said, the tail fin likes to break if gripped by a pitbull.
Awesome man, simply awesome! They look ready for RC Heli war haha.

I actually do have a Pitbill, but he's scared of the thing.

Thanks!
Old Jul 06, 2010, 03:58 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,375 Posts
RE boiling, I was thinking mainly of gears which are mostly open space, developing runout if softened.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:29 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cisco Kid View Post
Oh and this is a pretty big thread and I wasn't sure what the easiest method of charging would be? I have an iPod charger that plugs into the wall and has a female USB plug for charging. Would this be a bad idea?
hi cisco, it was this thread and a little persuation from Killbucket and Redbaron25 I bought a S107, I think most people in this thread use an iPod type adaptor for charging.

I've never had any trouble with any USB chargers...

I've never had any trouble with any USB chargers on the S107 cable...
iPhone 3gs charger
4gear iPod charger
Targus iPod charger
acer laptop
PS3

all have worked perfectly, the only thing I have not tried it on is the bush hifi (I know it's not high spec but it was a cool birthday gift from work a long time ago) that lives in the kitchen/tinker space.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:21 PM
S107 NUT
Canada
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:

I do have a quick question though. I would like to purchase a few replacement parts for those "just in case" moments. I followed a link to a site that carries all sorts of parts posted earlier in this thread and was just curious if any one here could recommend a few things I should keep on hand. I love taking things apart, so feel fully comfortable replacing any of the more major components.

I'd also appreciate some advice on what types of tools I would need? I'm assuming a tiny phillips screw driver...Cisco
If you really want to buy spare parts I think that the best place is:

http://www.enjoyhobbies.biz/

You can purchase the Syma RC Helicopter S107 Quick-ware Parts Set (Red or yellow) at $15.85 with free shipping. You get all the spare parts you might need in one shot.

(You do get a small phillips screwdriver with your S107.)

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
Grizzz is offline Find More Posts by Grizzz
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:33 PM
3ne2dbone
Trinidad and Tobago
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Do orders on Enjoyhobbies.biz usually take a while to move on from 'processing' to something else, like out for delivery? It has been four days since I ordered some parts and I see no movement from them. Just wondering if this is normal before I send them an email.
CptAwesomeTT is offline Find More Posts by CptAwesomeTT
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:51 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
573 Posts
Hard to suggest the best place for parts as we dont know where you live.

I didnt get a screwdriver with either of my s107's

I understand the gear thing, i cant imagine problems with geras needing them to be boiled anyway, as long as flying etiquate is followed they shouldnt be crashing with power on them so cant see any issues with standard ones but i do know some in this thread have striopped them. You are correct boiling wil likely soften the teeth far too much to make an improovement and will likely have the opposite effect.

If it looks like its going down cut the power guys, you will unlikely break anything where as powered crashes will.

The balenece bar is reported to be the weakest link on the helis so if you want spares get one of those but as KB says sensible flying wil see no breakages just wear of which none of us seem to have experianced to any great degree.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:21 AM
RC Heli noob
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
19 Posts
I didn't get a screwdriver with my S107 either, so I think Grizz is mistaken there.
Blooner is offline Find More Posts by Blooner
Old Jul 07, 2010, 05:27 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Who remembers?

Sizzlers
No, not steaks, self-powered HotWheels-type cars from my childhood.
We'd put a puddle of cooking spray in the middle of the dining-room table, charge one up, and watch it "Do Brody's" (my buddy's phrase, no idea of origin) all over the place. They would travel half a foot at most before spinning out in the oil-slick, only to gain adhesion, and do it again, and again...LOVED these things!
My yellow Lotus Esprit (knockoff?) is a bright spot in my childhood (which continues to this day).
I'd always considered these powered HotWheels in a class all their own- few "toys" had a cool factor this high in their time, at least in my circles.

The S107 reminds me of these, being a tech-stuffed, rugged machine itself.

No arguing the cool factor, or the ability to take a wall slam for the team.

Last edited by killbucket; Jul 07, 2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:22 AM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jul 2010
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice folks. The iPod charger seems to be working great. I did place an order for some spare parts last evening. I, ofcourse, had a small accident last night. Our other dog, we call him "big goofess", came out of no where and lunging as high as he could for the S107. In my panic I immediately pushed up hard on the throttle sending the S107 rocketing up. Unfortunately it hit a vent in our basement and shattered one end of the balance bar, woops! My fault, so not a big deal at all. Still having a blast with this thing and it's seems like the perfect way to get into the hobby!

Cisco
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:32 AM
S107 NUT
Canada
Joined Jun 2010
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blooner View Post
I didn't get a screwdriver with my S107 either, so I think Grizz is mistaken there.
I bought 4 S107, 2 S032, 2 MiniX a large SanHuan 8827 (for my son) and a screwdriver was included with each heli. These were bought from different suppliers including EBay.

I might be wrong with the S107. I did receive a screwdriver with most but maybe not with the 107
Grizzz is offline Find More Posts by Grizzz
Last edited by Grizzz; Jul 07, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 09:37 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Can't shed light on this one without reviewing pics...little screwdrivers abound here, but included with at least 3/4 of what I have, estimated.
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:59 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately it hit a vent in our basement and shattered one end of the balance bar, woops!
Another balance bar break. Definitely needs watching - but can't be classed as a 'weak' spot really, as it only happens if it hits something while it's going - mine broke after the heli fell sideways and struck a hard shelf before I could kill the throttle.

Cure for me?...circuits only in the centre of the room; no 'obstacle courses'
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:22 PM
3ne2dbone
Trinidad and Tobago
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Have you had any success with repairs to broken balance bars? E.g. super/other type of gluing back.
CptAwesomeTT is offline Find More Posts by CptAwesomeTT