HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2010, 03:29 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I'm willing to believe the S107's cell has a low-V cutoff.
But I'm equally willing to believe it ain't ready for "Prime Time" yet.

"Keep the tank full".

Plan shorter flights, and if there's a emergency longer flight (Fridge-top extractions can be lengthy) req, it's there.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:02 PM
North Dakota
Joined Apr 2010
64 Posts
Anybody out there need a set of yellow or red S107 blades let me know...I got lots of extras and will only charge a couple bucks postage if ya need em. Just PM me.
larymor is offline Find More Posts by larymor
Old Jun 30, 2010, 05:16 PM
RC Heli noob
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2010
19 Posts
I charged via PC in about 40min (didn't fully empty the batteries of course)

And now with the wall socket -> USB adapter its about 30min (again with about 30% to 35% percent battery left I think)

So I think that's pretty normal. Still in the safe-range anyways.

And as far as I can tell the LED of my S107 charger turns on gradually, so first kinda weak, and then growing brigther and brighter, which to me suggests that it indeed only looks at voltage and is really simple.

The adapter gives out 5V so.

It's all good I think.

Greet,
Blooner
Blooner is offline Find More Posts by Blooner
Old Jun 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
Joined Jun 2010
61 Posts
has anyone made a s107 out of mostly carbon fibre i was thinking of doing this but wanted to see if it has been done before
S107 is offline Find More Posts by S107
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:05 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S107 View Post
has anyone made a s107 out of mostly carbon fibre i was thinking of doing this but wanted to see if it has been done before
They're coming out with it soon. It's similar to S107, but it's made out of carbon fiber... It is super durable and can be taken apart... Watch the video.
Worlds Most Durable Mini RC Heli (7 min 31 sec)
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I keep begging them to tell me...when?

No word yet from the fine folks at Hobby-estore.

You KNOW I'll have more than one of these.

Meanwhile, Fry's has the 6020 NON-gyros on the shelf again.
They musta done a volume buy, all new packaging I haven't seen before.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 09:30 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
I better pre-order one or two before KB buys them all when they're available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
I keep begging them to tell me...when?

No word yet from the fine folks at Hobby-estore.

You KNOW I'll have more than one of these.

Meanwhile, Fry's has the 6020 NON-gyros on the shelf again.
They musta done a volume buy, all new packaging I haven't seen before.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Jun 30, 2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 01:35 AM
mSR noob, S107, SH6023/25
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2010
116 Posts
OK, i'm a bit behind the thread, but a few things caught my eye. YMMV..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruchlandung View Post
The math on this is very easy: By definition a one hour charge time is charging (assuming constant current which is not always true) a LiPo at 1C which is ideal.

Different USB implementations put out different amounts of current, but they all seem to max out at 500 mA or less. Even charging at the full 500 mA certainly wouldn't help the longevity, but wouldn't be enough to "cook" the LiPo cell.

I haven't taken a S107 USB charger apart yet, but I believe they aren't very sophisticated and only cut off the charging current based on voltage.
Your math on lipo charging sounds good. A 1c charge should be ~30-45 mins...
The cells in these are ~130mah? i seem to remember it being reported that the usb charger was putting out ~300mah which is pushing ~3C into these (and way more in the tiny 70mah from other copters). So (ballpark figures, not completely flat Lipo etc) if we're charging in ~15 mins we're at 2+c and in 7 mins at 3-4+c, and possibly a lot harder at the beginning of the cycle.

(As far as i know) A single USB circuit (may be more than one port) is limited to 500mah. So for those unpowered USB hubs-or indeed the likely 2 ports on the same side of your PC- are probably ok to do 2 helis at once. I think those unpowered ports pictured earlier are allowed to take 100mah for themselves and leave only 100mah for each port!

My preference would be a _powered_ hub running off an ac adaptor. Simple math, a $2.50 AC to USB adaptor and a $10 hub (x-hong kong, <$50 locally), or your ~$1000 PC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKZer0 View Post
That's not a problem in the slightest. a modern computer bought within the past 4 years is going to have around a 400-500Watt PSU.
Maybe, (i'm looking at my open case and it _claims_ 34amps on 5v...) but the tiny chip that powers the USB port is only expecting to put out 500mah on the circuit. While it shouldnt be possible to actually overload it (it should limit itself) you really wouldnt want to intentionally overload it and test your luck...

My final thought... at less than $5 for a quality replacement battery, just charge it however (and dont run it flat ever!) and be prepared to service it in a few weeks/months....
temporary1 is offline Find More Posts by temporary1
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:04 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
583 Posts
Im going to make an adaptor up for my cellpro4 i think, a bit overkill but at least ill have some control over it.

The s107 does have a voltage cut off, its not far away from the heli no longer having lift but far enough for me to feel ok flying until the heli wont keep a constant hover, if i need to keep adding power to hover ill stop then, holding the heli in my hands (for test purposes only) it will continue to work around another minute before it cuts out, after waiting 20 seconds or so it will hover again for a few more seconds before again dropping and eventually again cutting out so this seems like the cut off isnt too low to damage the battery.

The video shown above seems ok, nothing special for me except the main shafts seem very strong as im sure the s107 would have been bent in the first hit, as for blades as weve already said its not hard to make them from a plyable plastic, carbon fibre wont put up with that sort of abuse but it depends what theyve used it on, all in all very impressive but the video sort of makes you think that particular design wont be for sale but rather one simular, that sounded like it was a development heli.
I would be interested to hear if that video showed what is going to be on sale soon.
The s107 is extreemly well put together and well designed, im sure the new one wil be even better looking at that video.

The most important thing to note for me was how well it flew forwards, my s107's sort of pendulum forwards and doesnt have any rate of speed to them, this looked a lot more stable and had a whole lot more forward speed than i can get from mine in standard form which to be honest is why i rarely fly them.
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:19 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I think a slightly extended boom is the answer. Not a lot.

I've slid my landing skids forward on a few. Got this tip from another member here!
a bit of forward weight bias change can also get some speed, but at the expense of hover stability: it's gonna always slide forwards slowly.
Not a bad trade, for some fun. I just left the screws out (Hot-rodding!) since they don't want to move much.

As has been noted, that elegant, stately gait is an S107 plus, not a minus. It's about the first 3-channel Poo-class that shows any grace. A 6020-1 is a stone axe, compared, IMHO.
Just so you know, a stone axe is a good thing in my book. Why, they're nearly as reliable as Honda GoldWing Motorcycles.

But the gossamer RED thing we now see, is amazing. Technology has to exist to make a full-fledged copter that takes similar punishment. Yeah, we've seen the Military's Mini-Helis...what are they NOT showing us?

Makes me REALLY wish I was young enough to see NanoTech do all it will do.
Then again, I don't think I'll miss being spied on by robot houseflies.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:32 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Bladez Toyz Salvation Micro Infrared 3 Channel R/C Heli

Guys, I think I found it!

It's Here on eBay

It's not that cheap but it's ok, This is just the search for one, LISTEN TO KILLBUCKET, check the feedback, never listen to the 99.8% seller rating and select your seller wisely!

It looked even better in his "out of the box video"
Carbon Fiber Mini Heli Out of Box (5 min 39 sec)

It Looks alot like the S107 in the body but it's interesting how the main gears are so far apart, most heli have one directly above the other at the lowest point of the airframe with the motors (one white one black, one clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation) with the shaft pointing down fitted either side by side behind the shaft or one infront and one behind.

This appears to be one in front pointing down and one in the rear pointing up, I guess they are the SAME ROTATION I can't say just yet but looking at the fly bar under the blades and the shape of them it looks like its from the same people who make the DOLPHIN (or HX2 as it's now known) that is on sale at RED5.co.uk and instore at 20.00

I may be tempted at some point, if we could just find out it's weight, maybe remove some and/or add a larger lipo this could be a great helicam base!
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Jul 01, 2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: LISTEN TO KILLBUCKET, check the feedback, never listen to the 99.8% seller rating and select your seller wisely!
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:41 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
adjustable flybar, can it be done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25 View Post
Could the national power grid cope if you decided to charge them ALL at once, Kill? NASA would probably get the blame, I expect.

Anyway...flybars! I couldn't get a replacement for my broken S107 flybar so knocked up one of my own with a couple of bits of plastic tube and a few turns of solder wrapped around and CA'd securely. Quick and dirty.

Pretty self-explanatory really; I just wound what I thought 'looked right' (8 turns) and I think it's come out fractionally heavier than the stock flybar weights. I considered extending the flybar but kept it to the same size as stock.

How does it fly? As good as new! It's not a shelf queen anymore. Actually seems a slightly more solid hover due to the heavier flybar. I can always easily replace it with a stock item should it become available.
See when you said you were going to make one I thought you ment you would use a pipe, cut away a section in the middle, expand it and fit it to the T-bar pin......

But this is great, and you say it works well, seeing how the pipe sections fit over the remaining fly bar it gave me an idea (glad I did not throw away one I have that's missing half a weight compartment).

could the remaining bar and the pipe be threaded? you can then screw them in for agility and speed or screw them out more for prescision landings and smooth sailing?

I'm sure you could do it and show us the way, How hobby grade would that be?!?!?
Old Jul 01, 2010, 08:50 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Thank you for an easy, pleasant transaction.Excellent buyer. A++++++

scroll down...dang!

Sorry, can no buy from "selinasbooks"

Like I said, if they've haplessly copied this line, it was from an unfortunate source.

See final posts...
I see those 59 characters, no sale.

-- -- Private
Negative feedback rating BUYS FROM AMAZON AT CHEAPER PRICE. BUYER BEWARE, CHECK AMAZON 1ST!
Member ID neungy ( Feedback score of 83Blue star icon for Feedback score between 50 to 99)
10-May-10 09:20

Advise NEVER order. Pending a way to gauge this seller's honesty.
Last edited by killbucket; Jul 06, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:09 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
could the remaining bar and the pipe be threaded? you can then screw them in for agility and speed or screw them out more for prescision landings and smooth sailing?
The actual flybar itself is made from that flexible 'greasy' plastic and it doesn't sand or file too well...BUT you could add the tube ends like I did (glue them) and thread those instead, maybe use aluminium? I only used plastic as it was all I had. I won't be experimenting much, as I just wanted to get the heli back into flying condition.

Re the new carbon heli, if it uses the same mechanism as the Dolphin then it should be okay. The Dolphin sounds noisier than the S107 but that's mainly because everything is plastic and resonates, unlike the 107's metal chassis.

Blue S107 !!...the urge for a blue heli was too much so I painted the 107 with the new flybar - just the plastic bits though as I didn't have the nerve to paint anything mechanical. Humbrol 48 was the colour, which I just happened to find in my paint box. Bit of yellow vinyl trim to decorate.

I took the little noseweight out of the cockpit and this compensates for me removing the rear boom struts. The new flybar looks okay after a coat of matt black to hide the solder.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jul 01, 2010, 09:21 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post

Holy sweet Mother of....

may wanna scrub that LINK!
Remember the NEW METAL 4CH everybody so desperately wanted, but few got, after many paid?

In My Humble Opinion, Not a safe buy at this time. Wait to see REAL, verifiable positives on delivery first.

Ebay UK lets you easily sort this Free Information.
Ebay USA, not so much, or at all.

Ebay Percentage ratings are nothing to go by.
This one has 99.8%!

Thanks for the heads up on that killbucket, I've done an edit now.

I found some orangy yellow pipe lagging on the road side yesterday, its the same kinda foam as the kiddies

"water noodle"

Stuff you mentioned, I made some different types of support fro ALU drinks can to replace the balsa wood, It looks promising, I think I may start a "micro heli floats" thread.

Top to bottom.....
  • polystyrene float, balsa support
  • noodle float, 3 fold steel support
  • noodle float, 3 fold ALU support
  • noodle float, 5 fold ALU square box support (current favourite and mose likely to be used)
  • noodle float, 3 fold Bals wrapped ALU support
Last edited by djdavies83; Jul 01, 2010 at 09:27 AM.