SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:14 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,326 Posts
Discussion
Syma s107 Helicopter

This thread is to discuss the Syma s107 helicopters along with any other "cloned" versions of the s107.

PLEASE SCROLL DOWN IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE S107 AND CHECK OUT THE FAQ SECTION ALONG WITH LINKS TO HELP ANSWER A LOT OF QUESTIONS YOU MIGHT HAVE. IF YOU DON'T FIND THE ANSWER YOU'RE LOOKING FOR FEEL FREE TO POST AT THE END OF THIS THREAD.
(There are a lot of great people here in this thread that have dedicated a lot of time to learning all they can about the Syma s107.)

The Syma S107 quickly became an overnight success from the very beginning and has come to be considered by many one of the standards to compare other micro 3ch coaxial helicopters to. With it's super stable gyro and smooth controls it is a easy and relaxing flyer for almost anyone that has flown it. There are quite a few refinements to the s107 (lower parts count, solid build quality), that weren't seen on some previous models of 3ch coaxial helicopters.

Below you will find helpful information broken into sections that can help you troubleshoot, answer questions and hopefully give you more information that will help you along the way in owning a Syma s107.

Questions before owning a S107:

I've never had experience with flying a rc helicopter before, will I be able to fly the s107? This is probably the most asked question and is very much opinion based on your age, attention span etc., however I will say that (just a guess) 90% or even more (I personally don't know of anyone) have had no problem flying/learning to fly the S107 quickly. Most people I know have had it down within the first few flights. I would think just about everyone would agree the S107 is the most stable, smooth flyer to ever hit the rc helicopter world.

What makes the S107 different from all the other 3ch micro helicopters? I won't get into all the details here as it could take up a lot of space, but mainly the gyro is super stable and almost scary in how exact it is. Also the flight characteristics of the S107 are more docile then other flyers meaning a more slow, but also more graceful appearance with how smoothly it glides through the air.

How do I know I'm getting an S107 and not a clone? The lines of this have become more and more blurred over time. The best way is to buy from a reputable site, but there are also many ebay sellers still selling the real thing. I will state that just because it's a clone doesn't always make it bad. Some clones are just as good (the helizonerc firebird is better quality), while others are of lower quality than a true s107. Click here for one of the original ways of knowing the difference between a genuine S107 and a fake.

Are there parts available? Absolutely! Just do a google search and you will find countless parts available. It would cost more money than just buying one, but it would be easy to rebuild a whole S107 just through ordering parts. every part is available for purchase, so you can keep the S107 up and running for a long time.
(caution: some have discovered not all parts from a s107 to a clone are interchangable) Quagga has taken a picture of a e-hobby 100 series next to a real s107 showing how their made different

How long should I fly my S107? Typically you should make sure to limit your flights to 5 minutes or less at a time. Some go more others less, but you want to treat the battery with respect. If you push the battery too much then it's life span will become short lived. Take it easy on the first few flights and make sure the battery is fully charged and limit the flight to just 3 minutes or so. This will "break the battery in" so to speak. Some have had short lived batteries due to trying to overfly the helicopter long past the batteries ability to keep the helicopter up in the air. Also the choice is yours but some say wait 10 minutes after flying before charging again and then wait another 10 minutes before flying after you've taken the helicopter off the charger.

I've heard something about a Rev3 (R3) and a Rev5 (R5) board, what's the difference? When the S107 fist came out it had a pc board stamped R3 on the end of it. The later run of S107's has a board marked R5 on the end of it. Basically it's a revised board. On the original Rev3 board the gyro was laying parrellel to the board, on the R5 board the gyro was placed vertical in the upright position. Through testing and the knowledge of those owning both versions it has been determined that the S107's with the R3 tend to be faster. At first there were quite a few complaints about the R5 and it's lack of quality, but it seems most of them are okay now, just run at a little slower pace than the R3 boards. Still no one knows the reason for this change (possibly cheaper to build). Most that have R3's will tell you to try and find an R3 S107 if possible, but they're getting harder to get a hold of. Click here for a pic of a R3 board and here for a pic of a R5 board. (Thanks to jrgroucho for the pics)

Syma S107 standard problems and solutions:

After reading through this thread, it is clear that 5 common issues affect the S107:

*Short or no airtime (faulty battery, replace). See Killbucket's battery upgrade page for step-by-step instructions. The series shows Killbucket fitting a 240mAh Li-Po battery to replace the standard 180mAh (or 150 in some cases). Since then, the standard battery has proven the better option. Just get a couple of extra heli's to lengthen flight time!

*Tail-motor failure (motor burnt out, replace). See Killbucket's S107 tear-down.

*Model capable of low hover only or refusing to lift off at all (bottom rotor slipping on shaft, push back down to click into place, glue if problem persists). See Sir Raleigh's guide for glueing the bottom rotor assembly.

*T.B.E aka Toilet Bowl Effect (fly-bar related). Either loosen/clean up fly-bar connecting links or replace entire top-rotor assembly. Normally you get referred to http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/toilet-bowl-effect.html. Again, see Killbucket's Fly-bar replacement guide.

*Drifting during a hover - forwards or backwards (centre of gravity is off). Either move the battery, nose-weight or remove some tail-decorations.

Treat the Li-Po battery with lots of TLC:

*Cool-down after flight, 10 minutes.
*Charge on USB, +-40 mins.
*Another cool-down, 10 mins.
*Flight, 5 minutes, i.e. never run them down all the way!

If you take good care of your battery, it can last more than 100 cycles (x 5 minutes per flight gives 8+ hours of airtime!)

*Flashing green LED on transmitter (Tx), unresponsive heli (misaligned or poorly cast transmitter cover). Modify (file) the Tx top cover to allow throttle to close fully. Originally posted by tinyhelisrock

Upgrades/Speedmods:

If you're wanting to make you're S107 faster, there's a whole thread created by killbucket dedicated to taking your S107 to the next level in speed. Anything from taking out flybar weights, using different components to make the helicopter lighter, to putting a completely different tail motor and prop on. There are quite a few people trying different things so go check it out.
You can find it here.

Helizonerc Firebird vs. Syma s107:

The Helizone Firebird is a rebranded Syma s107 that has been proven to be built with better quality control than the s107. Not only is it different in it's paint scheme, but it's also different in it's build quality. A whole thread for the Helizone Firebird has been created by arbilab. Click here to go to the Firebird thread.
Also within that thread killbucket took a great deal of time showing up close the difference in build quality. If you would like to see the differences you can go to page 5 of the helizone firebird thread and scroll down, or you can just click here and here.

It was originally determined that when you were purchasing a Firebird from Helizone you were guaranteed a helicopter that was equipped with the R3 board (considered the better board by most), however at the end of October/Beginning of December 2010, people made statements that they began receiving Firebirds with R5 boards. Everyone agree's that Helizone probably ran out of stock of the R3 versions and our now moving into their stock of R5's. So note that there's a possibility you might now receive a Firebird with an R5 board in it.

Current record: jtravel's Blue S107R3 has flown a reported 150 flights (and counting) on its original battery.

This list will be continuously updated and worked on in order to get important information to owners of the s107 heli.

Thanks to all have that put so much work into building information, theories and idea's based around the s107.

The starting of this FAQ section was used with permission from Quagga, who came up with the idea and put the leg work in the beginning to create it.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Last edited by jlcamp7; Dec 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:23 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,326 Posts
Syma s107 Specs

Here are the specs for the s107:

Syma s107
Feature:

Miniature size & light weight. Super wide infrared control miniature design for indoor flying 19cm long and weighing an incredible 34 grams
Controlled by 32-level high precision speed. Auto stable, rotor blade system for steady lifting-up
3-Channel Helicopter movement forward / backward / up / down / left / right
High tenacity propeller