SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:11 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Normaly triggered due to severe cell inbalance. The charger has determined one of more cells has a problem and has reduced the charge rate. If you let it charge a few minutes and then check the indivual cell voltages and they are normal you can stop the charge and restart it. If it goes into safety charge again there is most likely a serious problem with the battery. Repeated atemptes to charge a LiPoly at normal rates once it has triggered the Safety Charge is not a very good idea and is discouraged.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:00 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
One of the very useful graphing feactures of the POWERLAB 8 .

Discharge was by way of CBA III with Pro version of firmware nad a CamLight Systems CC-400 ,the PL8 was used in monitor mode. Resulting graph shows not only how closely the cells are matched but also shows discharge time which many seem to have a difficult time understanding the relationship between capacity,discharge rate in amps. and resulting time.

Many time I am asked why I only test at for example 30A such as this one. As one can see this is equal to a hard 4 min. flight. I for one do not like to push any LiPoly harder than this.
Note that at this discharge rate to 10V that 100% of rated capacity is being delivered. I do not discharge LiPolys which I purchase this deep as it is very hard on them. Few can stand many such cycles and if they were only discharged 80 % would last at least 4 times as long based on past testing. The newer LiPolys sem to stand uop bettwer to such abuse however so who really knows for sure..

Charles
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
848 Posts
The manual states when charging greater than 3 amps you need to connect the "discharge wires".

Is this a true statement, if both the discharge wire & balancing tab are connected & charging under 3 amps the charge is carried by the balancing tab.

How is the charge carried when charging at greater than 3 amps.
i.e. charging at 5 amps is 3 amps carried by the tab wires & 2 amps by the discharge wires.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:11 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
My understanding is over 3 amps the balance taps are only balancing the charge and all the charge current is carried through the discharge wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
The manual states when charging greater than 3 amps you need to connect the "discharge wires".

Is this a true statement, if both the discharge wire & balancing tab are connected & charging under 3 amps the charge is carried by the balancing tab.

How is the charge carried when charging at greater than 3 amps.
i.e. charging at 5 amps is 3 amps carried by the tab wires & 2 amps by the discharge wires.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:39 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Three amps. is the max. that can be charged at without the main power leads connected. This is due to the limits of the leads and connectors.

When charging with the power leads connected all of te charging current goes throught the power leads and only the balancing current (up to max. of 1A per cell) is handled by the balancing leads.

Charles
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2008
848 Posts
Suggestion: voltage difference in cells/pack

On the CCS software, it would nice to have a screen that shows the voltage difference between the highest & lowest cell voltage in a pack.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:32 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
found a small bug in the PL8

The result is that you end up with an empty preset.
when changing the "End cycle with" to Discharge in the "Preset settings"

Short discription of the movie :
- copy new library preset to preset 1
- check if existing
- got to options
- "the preset settings"
- change some settings
- en then the end cycle with to discharge

P7310537.AVI (1 min 1 sec)

if I don;t change the "end cycle with" it works fine

Reproduces every time:-)

Bart,
amigob is offline Find More Posts by amigob
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:44 PM
Round Rock, TX
Joined Apr 2010
59 Posts
amigob - is this with firmware version 2.03?
GAP-RC is offline Find More Posts by GAP-RC
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:56 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
Original from FMA ( send to me at 8 of juli ) , can look at it at the moment, it is cycling some lipo's.
will post the version when it is ready.

Bart,
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:50 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
2.01: can't try new version, my 2 FUIM3 are still at FMA.

Bart,
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:01 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,825 Posts
I know some chargers require you to connect the balance leads before connecting the main leads and some are vice-versa.

I don't recall seeing anything indicating the connection order makes a difference on the PL8. Has anyone heard whether the connection order makes a difference on the PL8?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
I know some chargers require you to connect the balance leads before connecting the main leads and some are vice-versa.

I don't recall seeing anything indicating the connection order makes a difference on the PL8. Has anyone heard whether the connection order makes a difference on the PL8?
PowerLab 8 User Guide - Page 13

Note: Best practice is to connect balance connector first, then connect discharge wires.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:35 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
PowerLab 8 User Guide - Page 13

Note: Best practice is to connect balance connector first, then connect discharge wires.
Thanks, I found it on page 13 just like you said.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 01, 2010, 10:00 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
fo
Quote:
und a small bug in the PL8

The result is that you end up with an empty preset.
when changing the "End cycle with" to Discharge in the "Preset settings"

Short discription of the movie :
- copy new library preset to preset 1
- check if existing
- got to options
- "the preset settings"
- change some settings
- en then the end cycle with to discharge
First off I am running V2 Ver. 3.11 so my results may not match yours. This latest version is still in Beta testing stage but should be released fairly soon. You will need a FUIM 2 or 3 to update when it is available.

So using the charger only (no CCS) I selected Preset #24 and deleated one I had stored in it. Next I copied # 3 from the Library to Preset #24 , next I changed the charge rate,discharge rate,number of cycles and End with discharge. Next I powered the charge down and back up and all of my setting in Preset #24 are still there (the ones I just created).

Screen shots of the Help file with step by step instructions attached..

I know I am repeating myself but once agin the full Help file is available for downloading and you do not need a FUIM to install and use it.

I will add a link to this post to my post #11

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=11

which is a handy reference,IMO..
Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 01, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 12:38 PM
Netherlands
Joined May 2009
136 Posts
Charles, tried it with powering down and it was gone again.

I took an existing preset and only changed the finish with to discharge, and powered down after one enter, same result, empty preset. Sound like it's already solved.

Bart.