Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 25, 2010, 06:57 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,429 Posts
On the PL8 program presets If I wanted to manual on the charge rate it only allows me to go upto 10.00amps?. I thought it was built for 30amps max? does that mean I can only charge 2 x 5000 packs in parallel?
on the webpage it says.

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica..._features.html

Output battery charge current: Adjustable range 10mA to 30A, limited by 50A input current*
Output battery discharge current: Internal discharge 10mA to 10A, 100W max Regenerative discharge 10mA to 30A, 1000W max**

Am I missing something?
Nelapaty is online now Find More Posts by Nelapaty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:15 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,630 Posts
PL8 LiPoly High Power Preset 30A

It will do 30A but you have to check the advanced properties box, choose a High Power Preset ,go to the Charge section then use the drop down a select 30A.

These are all addational steps to help prevent a new user from selecting to great of a charge rate by mistake.

Edit See a few post below. 30A is available without at the PL8 CCS .

LiPoly and LiFe each only have one Highe Power Preset that can go past 10A charge rate. You can copy these High Power Presets to other locations and have as many as you need / want but then again think safety. A 300 mAh charged at 30Amps. instead of .3A (300 mA) could get messy.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 25, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
Looks like the PL8 is not shipping this week then.

I just want a firm date is all. Keep changing the date drives me crazy.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:01 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Hopefully soon
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
having to keep charging my 10,000mah pack at 9 amps is driving me crazy!!
I only bought one pack in anticipation of the PL8 ($290 per pack).
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:35 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Looks like the PL8 is not shipping this week then.

I just want a firm date is all. Keep changing the date drives me crazy.

They will start shipping today in the order that they were ordered. Mine will not be sent out till the end of next week since I order toward the end of the first run.
gww528 is online now Find More Posts by gww528
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:56 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
I ordered the minute they went on pre order so that would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post

They will start shipping today in the order that they were ordered. Mine will not be sent out till the end of next week since I order toward the end of the first run.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:26 AM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
I ordered the minute they went on pre order so that would be nice.
+1 for me!!
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
It will do 30A but you have to check the advanced properties box, choose a High Power Preset ,go to the Charge section then use the drop down a select 30A.

These are all addational steps to help prevent a new user from selecting to great of a charge rate by mistake.

LiPoly and LiFe each only have one Highe Power Preset that can go past 10A charge rate. You can copy these High Power Presets to other locations and have as many as you need / want but then again think safety. A 300 mAh charged at 30Amps. instead of .3A (300 mA) could get messy.

Charles
Charles Thanks for the info. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the program . I'm assuming these are factory presets and can be changed some cool features..
Last edited by Nelapaty; Jun 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 01:59 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
Just clarifying, but to get more than 10a output you have to buy the usb device and have a windows computer?

Quote:
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:36 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelapaty View Post
Charles Thanks for the info. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the program . I'm assuming these are factory presets and can be changed some cool features..

Yes right now there are 23 User Preset in the Charger and there are 25 slots available in total.

Any of these can be hidden,shown,deleted or changed. You can copy from on slot to another.

There is also a Library with fifty Preset slots of which 25 are a duplication of the User's Preset ,one is a 24 V Pb Preset and one is a Foam Witre Driver.

Library Presets can be copied into the User's Presets . You can us them to replace User's Presets you have dekleted or if you mess up a User's Preset and have issues finding / correcting the Errors you can just replace it and start over.

Charles
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
Just clarifying, but to get more than 10a output you have to buy the usb device and have a windows computer?
No my mistake . You can select up to 30A charge rate in the High Power Presets from the Charger or the CSS even without Checking the Advanced Properties Box.

As mention in the past, the CCS makes it easier.faster than using just the Charger but most everything can be done except grahing,saving graphs,files without a computer. Us beta testers had to use the PL8s without the CCS for days early on just to confirm that it was not to limiting. When all is said and done a computer screen with drop downs beats a 2 line display and having to scroll thru an awfult lot of options. There are over 70 options per Preset. I believe most will want the interface but it is not necessary.
If you have a Cell Pro 10, or Co Pillot II you allready have the interface.The newer Ver. is a little faster but not that much difference.

Please note that I have been using the PL8 for over six months now. I have also used several other chargers during this time and I am currently beta testing a pair of PL8s with a different version of firmware.
Being mostly human I am subject to getting a few facts / points mixed up from time to time.

If I make a major mistake hopefully one of the other beta team members will correct me.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 25, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 02:49 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
I was testing the power supply in preparation for the arrival of my PL8. As soon as I plugged it in I saw this down the street....
Jacob's Ladder: 500kV Switch Opening (0 min 9 sec)
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Jun 25, 2010, 03:15 PM
KK4NZS
Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
1,429 Posts
Quote:
No my mistake . You can select up to 30A charge rate in the High Power Presets from the Charger or the CSS even without Checking the Advanced Properties Box.
I figured it out Charles
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:57 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
anyone get a ship notification?