HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:41 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhelichopper View Post
...One small question the reples did raise for me is: If packs have been supplied as parrallel packs and charged as such safely for a few years now, why do we need safe parallel adaptors?

Kind regards once again
mrhelichopper
Polyfuses are integrated for protection against the potential inrush current of grossly mismatched (state of charge) packs or a possible inadvertent (i.e. backward polarity) connection.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 04:47 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhelichopper View Post
<snip>
One small question the reples did raise for me is: If packs have been supplied as parrallel packs and charged as such safely for a few years now, why do we need safe parallel adaptors?

Kind regards once again
mrhelichopper
I think that since LiPo's have greatly increased in capacity per cell there are fewer 2p packs being produced. So now packs charged in parallel aren't as likely to be matched as when they were assembled as 2p. Also with the advent of higher wattage chargers parallel charging is more prevalent. And taking a relatively inexpensive precaution is a good idea.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:55 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Please help me understand why you would connect multiple PL8's together to be controlled by a single (master) charger..
Wouldn't it be more convenient to have each charger to work independently?
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Depends, say you have two 6 ,7 or 8S that you run in series. You fly them together and charge them together. Two PL8 in Primary / Secondary configurateion means you only set the Pri. and the Sec. follows along. The same goes for large packs up to 8S which you use in parallel.

It is very simple to go from ganged ( Primary / Ext. ) back to two seperate ones and besides no one I am aware of offers a single case 2,000 watts charger.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:09 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
mrhelichopper

FMA wants to make parallele charging as safe as possible. As I posted very early in this thread I charged both 4ea. 3 S and 4 ea. 4S Lipoly as 6S2P and 8S2P in order to be able to test this beast at high output levels. That was the only way I could really load it with my meager 3 and 4S 3300 LiPolys. My series / parallel adapters had no safety devices what so every but I was extremely careful and knew the pack's histories, and that all balancing leads / connectors were in excellent condition.

If you read tens of thousands of post like I do then it would obvious that many make all kind of mistakes when attempting parallel charging. Seems I read a post a week where some one toasted a parallel charging board or worse.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 11, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:56 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

The PL8 manual is nearly finished. We are going to a new format for it that ties into the CCS directly. It's one of those so-called on-line help manuals. So there's some coding involved that will start soon. We could release a simple PDF version, but we also intend to publish the first production version of the CCS as soon as the manual is complete. This way customers can download and install the CCS (don't need a charger now to actually see how things work in there), and read the manual from within the CCS as well. I hope this can all be ready some time next week.

Tim Marks
Hi Tim, any update on when the PL8 CCS will be available?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:59 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
comparison table

is there a table that compairs the new 1kW chargers so i can have a more simpler overview to see wich suits my needs most?

For example weight is a issue since it influence shipping cost.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:41 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
until the PL8 ships - there is only one 1kw charger currently on the market.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:54 PM
Joined Apr 2007
26 Posts
Is the first batch being assembled / tested, or are they still being held up by the manufacturer?
redgreen is offline Find More Posts by redgreen
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:04 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreen View Post
Is the first batch being assembled / tested, or are they still being held up by the manufacturer?
I called FMA yesterday. They are testing this week and shipping next week!
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:59 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
PL8 Charge Control Software (CCS) is available!

The PL8 Charge Control Software (CCS) is available for download and install at the following link: http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica..._software.html This Windows program does not require that you have the PL8 in order to install and run the software. Check the on-line help with direct access to pertinent information by clicking the "?" buttons throughout the various tabs.
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:14 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Sweet! Thanks Tim.

Can I use the CCS with the 10S?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_edge540 View Post
Sweet! Thanks Tim.

Can I use the CCS with the 10S?
Hi,

The Cellpro 10S has it's own CCS. Here is the link:

Cellpro 10s Charge Control Software
(File type: Web Reference The Cellpro 10s charge control software adds many new features to the charger. Edit presets, configure power supplies, change charger settings and update to the latest firmware. Requires the FUIM2 two way PC interface.

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica..._software.html
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:46 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Thanks Howard. I use the 10s's software - i was just wondering if I could use both chargers with the PL8's software. I guess the 10S need to stay with it's own CCS?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:37 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Howard, I'd also like to know if I can use the FUIM3 interface with my CP 10S charger?

Dave
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy