Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:49 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,880 Posts
The 4S connector with cells #1-4 (lower potential) must connect to the connector with the black sleeving as shown in Greg's photo. Cells #5-8 will connect to the red.

The "-" lead on cell 1 is connected to the black lead on the main output of the pack. The "+" lead on cell #8 is connected to the red lead on the main output.

Be sure to check with a meter to verify polarity prior to connecting anything. You can also post photos if you're unsure and many here can provide proper advice.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:53 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
That makes perfect sense, thanks Mark!
jocanon is online now Find More Posts by jocanon
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:37 AM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Hey guys,
I have come in real late here and to be honest, do not have the time to go over every single page in this thread - it is HUGE.

I am thinking of purchasing this unit. I mainly use 4s LiPo's but do also have a few 3s for my GS.
I do see that I can charge multiple batteries of the same cell count so no problems there, but I have two main questions at this stage.

Firstly, if I hook this charger up to a deep cycle gel battery, do I still get the same sort of performance as I would if I had it connected to straight power? While on the power, does anyone have a recommended power adapter to use with this charger? For my current charger, I have modified an old computer power plant, can I do the same for this one?

Lastly (yeah more than just two questions - sorry), am I able to modify the cut off charge for each cell? The reason for this is that the 'standard' cut off is 4.20 but I have heard that charging them up to 4.18 instead can help to prolong the life of the batteries. Keen to get feedback on this.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance.
ArnhemAnt is offline Find More Posts by ArnhemAnt
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:56 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,590 Posts
In red...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnhemAnt View Post
Hey guys,
I have come in real late here and to be honest, do not have the time to go over every single page in this thread - it is HUGE.

I am thinking of purchasing this unit. I mainly use 4s LiPo's but do also have a few 3s for my GS.
I do see that I can charge multiple batteries of the same cell count so no problems there, but I have two main questions at this stage.

Firstly, if I hook this charger up to a deep cycle gel battery, do I still get the same sort of performance as I would if I had it connected to straight power? While on the power, does anyone have a recommended power adapter to use with this charger? For my current charger, I have modified an old computer power plant, can I do the same for this one?

Volts is volts is volts. Deep cycle is fine, so is a computer PS. Just don't exceed the PS's rating, as the PL8 can easily handle a lot of current.

Lastly (yeah more than just two questions - sorry), am I able to modify the cut off charge for each cell? The reason for this is that the 'standard' cut off is 4.20 but I have heard that charging them up to 4.18 instead can help to prolong the life of the batteries. Keen to get feedback on this.

Not for each cell per se, but yes, you can set the terminate voltage to whatever you want. Each cell has to be the same, but it can be anything you want.

Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
In red...
Thanks so much for clearing this up. I know it may sound like simple questions but it is something I don't fully understand.

Really appreciate your help.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:26 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Thanks so much for clearing this up. I know it may sound like simple questions but it is something I don't fully understand.

Really appreciate your help.
Be sure to use the computer software to modify charger settings and track battery charging-it's far more useful this way.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Be sure to use the computer software to modify charger settings and track battery charging-it's far more useful this way.
Thanks. I mainly use Mac but I do have a windows laptop I can use for that.
Looking forward to making this purchase. Just have to make sure I get the relevant connectors for both my thunder power and nano tech LiPo's.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:20 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I mainly use Mac but I do have a windows laptop I can use for that.
Looking forward to making this purchase. Just have to make sure I get the relevant connectors for both my thunder power and nano tech LiPo's.
If you need help, I suggest phoning FMA, and ask for Howard Matos: tell those guys what you need, and they'll tell you what to order.

The PL-8/6 with the MPA is an amazing "system!"
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:06 AM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Two advantages to using Deep Cycle batteries.

Quote:
Hey guys,

Firstly, if I hook this charger up to a deep cycle gel battery, do I still get the same sort of performance as I would if I had it connected to straight power? Two thing to note, if you use deep cycle batteries you can draw the full 60 A input that the PL8 will accept. Most PSs do not supply that high of a current. Second if using a deep cycle battery you can discharge your batteries at up to 40A. With the PS you would only be able to discharge internally at 3 A. While on the power, does anyone have a recommended power adapter to use with this charger? For my current charger, I have modified an old computer power plant, can I do the same for this one?

Hi ArnhemAnt,
Please see comments above.
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:12 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,049 Posts
Deep Discharge AGM Battery Source

I second Jack's comments.

I use an AGM deep discharge battery with a pair of PL8 BMS units and it works great.

I posted earlier that I also installed a West Mountain Radio "isoPower" device that connects to my car battery on one leg, the deep discharge AGM battery on the other leg, and the middle leg goes to my twin PL8 units.

This has the advantage of (1) continually charging the AGM battery when the engine is running and (2) on the very rare occasions that I charge while driving (I know, shame on me), the isoPower draws from the auto battery and saves the AGM for field charging.

I've used this arrangement even before I purchased the two PL8 units and love it.

The only wrinkle I've noticed with two PL8 units is that if both PL8s are in "storage" mode with "regenerative discharge", then the second one to come on-line will complain that current is coming into it. I've never had the time to investigate what that message is trying to tell me; perhaps someday, when I get a "round TUIT", I'll figure it out. :-)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Doherty View Post
Hi ArnhemAnt,
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Hi ArnhemAnt,
This is new to me. Like I said I have always used a power supply and never used my deep cycle batteries. I guess I have been missing out.
So, (hope this isn't a 'stupid question', can I hook the PL8 up to either 12v or 24v?
The reason I ask is that I have both systems with my deep cycle AGM batteries both in my boat and in my 4wd.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:13 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,467 Posts
Quote:
This is new to me. Like I said I have always used a power supply and never used my deep cycle batteries. I guess I have been missing out.
So, (hope this isn't a 'stupid question', can I hook the PL8 up to either 12v or 24v?
The reason I ask is that I have both systems with my deep cycle AGM batteries both in my boat and in my 4wd.
12 or 24 volts is just fine.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:14 AM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Hi ArnhemAnt,

Play with the calculator at: http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_calcu...PL8_Calc_1.htm
to see the difference between using 12V or 24V inputs, as well as different battery cell counts.

12V will allow you to charge 6s at 24.3A where 24V will allow you to charge 6s at 40A.

So guess it just depending on your battery charging needs as to the use of 12V or 24V.

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Hi ArnhemAnt,

Play with the calculator at: http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_calcu...PL8_Calc_1.htm
to see the difference between using 12V or 24V inputs, as well as different battery cell counts.

12V will allow you to charge 6s at 24.3A where 24V will allow you to charge 6s at 40A.

So guess it just depending on your battery charging needs as to the use of 12V or 24V.

Jack
Thank you for the link Jack. Now, that all makes sense.