SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
CCS Updates - Revisited

Sorry, fat finger mistake. My Firmware is V3.31, not the 1.31 that I inadvertently entered - blame it on old age. :-)

I have two PL8, V2 (1344 watts), and downloaded the CCS software from the "Resources" tab on the new USA website. Past updates worked fine, as long as I knew to start, exit, then restart the CCS software and also check the firmware for upgrades.

My question still remains, however, and that is how do I know what version of CCS is current on the website? Also, which firmware release is current?

The reason I ask is because, while my laptop was unavailable, I noticed a message in this forum indicating an update probably would be released 6/4. As it is past that date, I figured I would attempt to update, but nothing happened, and, as I cannot tell whether my version is the latest version, I queried the forum.

Thank you.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

If you're seeing ver 1.31, then my guess is you're running PL8 v1 CCS. If you haven't already done so, you need to install PL8 v2 CCS, and upgrade your PL8 v1 unit to v2. Support for v1 ended well over a year ago. Install from this page:

http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...ftware_v2.html

and follow the directions to upgrade to V2.

Tim Marks
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
My Powerlab 8 arrived today .. it comes with a disappointingly basic, to say the least, connecter set up .
You might be surprised to hear how many different perspectives there are on what the right charger package is. Just about every Powerlab owner has a different charging scenario and different views on how it should be done. Not surprisingly, I count 13 different Powerlab combos on the Revo site to accommodate a wide range of scenarios. For users that need something other than the one of the 13 combos, they can pick the individual components they need for their scenario.

Though you may not realize it, your own post is an example of the diversity found in the Powerlab user base. While the major of Powerlab users prefer parallel charging, you are more interested in serial charging. I happen to also prefer serial charging where it makes sense. But being aware of the very serious and easy ways serial charging can result in burned wires, it does not surprise me that FMA requires the well informed user make up their own cables to do so.

There is another well known brand that used include a serial charging board with their charger. Having spoken with one of the retailers of this product, it was clear many users fell victim to the serial charging issues, and burned boards.

Regarding the USB interface, I have four FMA chargers and one PC interface cable. The same cable can also be used to setup other FMA products such as the Copilot and soon to be released Hard Deck module. One $14 unit does it all. I would rather pay once for over and over again for every FMA product I purchase.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I have two PL8, V2 (1344 watts), and downloaded the CCS software from the "Resources" tab on the new USA website. Past updates worked fine, as long as I knew to start, exit, then restart the CCS software and also check the firmware for upgrades.
Except for the one time server change, the method you are using is the best way to check for the latest version. Except for this one time, its been working reliably for many years. The version info is not currently posted on the web site. When in doubt, post a question as you have, or re-install from web site. It only takes a second to re-install. Well, maybe a little more than second, but its quick on a fast connection.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
You might be surprised to hear how many different perspectives there are on what the right charger package is. Just about every Powerlab owner has a different charging scenario and different views on how it should be done. Not surprisingly, I count 13 different Powerlab combos on the Revo site to accommodate a wide range of scenarios. For users that need something other than the one of the 13 combos, they can pick the individual components they need for their scenario.

Though you may not realize it, your own post is an example of the diversity found in the Powerlab user base. While the major of Powerlab users prefer parallel charging, you are more interested in serial charging. I happen to also prefer serial charging where it makes sense. But being aware of the very serious and easy ways serial charging can result in burned wires, it does not surprise me that FMA requires the well informed user make up their own cables to do so.

There is another well known brand that used include a serial charging board with their charger. Having spoken with one of the retailers of this product, it was clear many users fell victim to the serial charging issues, and burned boards.

Regarding the USB interface, I have four FMA chargers and one PC interface cable. The same cable can also be used to setup other FMA products such as the Copilot and soon to be released Hard Deck module. One $14 unit does it all. I would rather pay once for over and over again for every FMA product I purchase.
Yes, point about different requirements taken - however I really can't see how series connection is more dangerous than parallel and parallel undeniably provides less info about individual cells. Also, everyone will need to connect the output jacks - Revo don't even have stocks of the fused output leads.

It's disappointing to see the unit arrive in non-usable condition but I've ordered the parts I need - with luck it won't take the 14- 28 days to get from Singapore that Revo say it will. The unit itself looks OK, having survived the journey in its rather flimsy box with only the loss of one of its rubber feet - I'll take it on trust that the internal components are as good as users in this thread say they are and eventually I'm sure I'll be happy with it. It's just that Revo seem to be scoring a few own goals at the moment.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
Meaning it's not capable of series charging? With the right balance adapter I'm sure it is. Pretty well any charger can do parallel.
Just making a comment to your statement, " I'll buy the parallel connector although that's an inferior way of charging 2 packs."
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
Yes, point about different requirements taken - however I really can't see how series connection is more dangerous than parallel and parallel undeniably provides less info about individual cells. Also, everyone will need to connect the output jacks - Revo don't even have stocks of the fused output leads.

.
Accepting that I will be charging packs in parallel (and there's certainly the advantage that I could do up to 6 identical packs) I looked at the MPA (Multiport Safe Parallel Adapter) and it says the JST-XH model has a JST-XH socket for input from the charger's balance leads. It also tells you to be sure to purchase the correct lead. On my reading the correct lead is the MPA-FRC-PL6/PL8, which is said to be out of stock, due July 15 - is that correct? (there appears to be no way to contact Revo International via the website)
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
Just making a comment to your statement, " I'll buy the parallel connector although that's an inferior way of charging 2 packs."
It's inferior in the sense that it doesn't give information about individual cells. I agree that it has the advantage of allowing larger numbers of cells to be charged.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:33 AM
Registered User
gww528's Avatar
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
It's inferior in the sense that it doesn't give information about individual cells. I agree that it has the advantage of allowing larger numbers of cells to be charged.
I agree, so every so often I charge them individually but then I have more than one charger & its easy.
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
however I really can't see how series connection is more dangerous than parallel
If you don't correct the balance leads and discharge leads correctly, it will cause a short across one of the balance leads and the discharge cable. Because the balance leads are often identical, its easy to mistake them. Many have and the results were melted wires, smoke, damaged boards and batteries.

More experienced users will understand the risk and take measures to prevent a short. I've done it two ways. One way I used dual 4s adapter and just left it on the packs all of the time. I purchased enough adapters for all my packs. The second method was to use a combination of red/black shrink tubing and red and black permanent markers to help mark each connector. See attached image.

Quote:
Revo don't even have stocks of the fused output leads.
High demands for a fantastic product. Worth the wait, IMO.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:55 AM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
It's inferior in the sense that it doesn't give information about individual cells. .
While I prefer serial charging to parallel charging I wouldn't say that parallel charging is "inferior". Just as I do not agree with proponents of parallel charging who have stated that parallel charging is superior to serial charging. Both have their pros and cons and neither extreme characterization is accurate.

The truth is that parallel charging works "well enough" for the majority of modelers. Its also true that serial charging is far more risky for the "majority of modelers".
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSky View Post
Accepting that I will be charging packs in parallel (and there's certainly the advantage that I could do up to 6 identical packs) I looked at the MPA (Multiport Safe Parallel Adapter) and it says the JST-XH model has a JST-XH socket for input from the charger's balance leads. It also tells you to be sure to purchase the correct lead. On my reading the correct lead is the MPA-FRC-PL6/PL8, which is said to be out of stock, due July 15 - is that correct? (there appears to be no way to contact Revo International via the website)
Hi:

Sorry that you are frustrated. We too are frustrated by out of stock situations. Please be advised, the items you mention in your various posts are available and in stock at REVO USA. There is nothing that says you can not purchase from the U.S. warehouse. It is likely that shipping will not be much if any more expensive than you ordering directly from Singapore.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...a-Plug-Cable_2

in stock, and

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/..._2/MPA-XH-PL_2

in stock.

You can use the same login credentials you use on REVO Intl as well.

If you require additional assistance, you can check the following support page from our main website here:

http://revolectrix.com/support_options.htm

or just PM me and I'll direct your inquiry to the appropriate personnel here in the U.S.

Again, sorry for any inconvenience. We'll do what we can to help from our end.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:14 PM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Sorry that you are frustrated. We too are frustrated by out of stock situations. Please be advised, the items you mention in your various posts are available and in stock at REVO USA. There is nothing that says you can not purchase from the U.S. warehouse. It is likely that shipping will not be much if any more expensive than you ordering directly from Singapore.

Tim Marks
Hi Tim, thanks for responding so quickly.

The postage from the USA for the parallel board and 2 cables is over $57USD - I think I'll wait for Singapore to get stock.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
If you don't correct the balance leads and discharge leads correctly, it will cause a short across one of the balance leads and the discharge cable. Because the balance leads are often identical, its easy to mistake them. Many have and the results were melted wires, smoke, damaged boards and batteries.



High demands for a fantastic product. Worth the wait, IMO.
OK, yes I can see that if you used a charger not designed for series charging, it would be risky - the Hyperion has protection against incorrect connection of the balance leads.

The item that's got a month's wait on it is just a JST-XH connecter wired to a Cellpro connector - Revo International are able to supply the higher tech stuff like the charger itself and actually have the connectors in the USA but postage costs are excessive- surely a Fedex parcel of them to Singapore wouldn't be hard to organise.

I'm sure you're right and I'll be delighted with the PL8 - sometime early in August. As I said before, Revo are scoring own goals at the moment.


Edit:

I had another think about Revo USA's postage charges and I've ordered the JST-XH connector cable from them (it's small enough to go first class airletter for under $4) and the parallel board from Singapore with a postage cost of about $10 (I've never seen Swisspost as an option before - I hope it won't really take14-28 days for what is only a 6 1/2 hour plane trip).

This is considerably better and I'm feeling happier about my investment already - it was encouraging to see the users rush to the defence of Revo when I had a complain!
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Last edited by RedSky; Jun 26, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Extra info
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
JohnathanSwift's Avatar
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,198 Posts
Well, Red, maybe you'll be fixed up soon and it'll just be a passing memory.

FMA does a wonderful job for us in the USA.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered User
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Well, Red, maybe you'll be fixed up soon and it'll just be a passing memory.

FMA does a wonderful job for us in the USA.
I'm sure you're right - like they say, "quality is remembered long after price is forgotten".
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sneak Peek! 2, 1:8 scale scratchbuilts ooby Scale Boats 32 Sep 17, 2014 03:09 PM
Discussion Proposed schemes for 2010 season RAF BAe Hawk display-sneak peek! Matt Halton Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Dec 20, 2009 03:11 AM
Discussion Sneak Peek at the New Creation Museum Miami Mike Life, The Universe, and Politics 38 May 30, 2007 05:01 PM
Hey Mr. Lin, how about a sneak peek at the Hellcat? splatman GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 1 Jul 05, 2003 04:43 AM