HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:35 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
Good point. If we are to add in the price of the FUIM3 adapter in the price comparison then how are we to compare to the chargers that don't have a PC interface at all?
At some point the comparison really needs to compare more than just watts out, but since cost per watt is where the PL8 shines that's what the marketing department is going to highlight. It's the modelers responsibility to understand them and their needs.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:03 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor99 View Post
have the node adapter configurations been finalized? Will there be a node adaper that allows a serial connection for 2x 4s packs? Or will the adapters be designed for 1 pack only?
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:15 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Have the node adapter configurations been finalized? Will there be a node adaper that allows a serial connection for 2x 4s packs? Or will the adapters be designed for 1 pack only?
Not yet. At least the beta team does not have specifics yet. We should have some more information soon.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:23 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Preordered!!!

Now I will 'hopefully' be able to charge two batteries at once.
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jan 30, 2010, 09:41 PM
Giant Squid Aviation Works
Chicago
Joined Jun 2007
73 Posts
Does anyone know if the PowerLab 8 can be connected to a solar panel array or wind turbine to charge flooded lead acid batteries? I am also wondering if it could be connected to the output of an gas generator to charge the same batteries. The reason I am asking is because my RC club is building a charging station and these features along with data logging would make the Powerlab 8 a great charge control for our flooded lead acid battery bank!
meistertek is offline Find More Posts by meistertek
Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:47 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meistertek View Post
Does anyone know if the PowerLab 8 can be connected to a solar panel array or wind turbine to charge flooded lead acid batteries? I am also wondering if it could be connected to the output of an gas generator to charge the same batteries. The reason I am asking is because my RC club is building a charging station and these features along with data logging would make the Powerlab 8 a great charge control for our flooded lead acid battery bank!
As long as the solar panel, wind turbine, or gas generator provides constant voltage in the range of 10 to 32 volts DC, and can provide the input current required by the batteries being charged the PL8 should perform very well.

Glen
Old Jan 31, 2010, 05:49 AM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
830 Posts
meistertek: a $30 solar controller would do that for much less money and do a better job. Obvious problems include the PL8 not automatically starting a charge when the input power is turned on(sunrise, wind picks up, etc). Additionally the PL8 won't automatically adjust to extract the maximum power available from the source. A $30 charge controller would do both and many data log as well for a few more $. Spend the saved money on more solar panels or more batteries.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Feb 02, 2010, 11:35 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Have the node adapter configurations been finalized? Will there be a node adaper that allows a serial connection for 2x 4s packs? Or will the adapters be designed for 1 pack only?
FMA adapters will most likely be for single packs only unless the smart parallelel adapter is used.

I posted earlier that the first thing I did was create Dean series / parallel adapters and series / parallel balancing harnesses.
I have charged 4ea. 4S 3300 LiPolys as a 8S 2P (6600) at 30 amps. or just over 960 watts.

See post here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=41
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 02, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:08 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
Good point. If we are to add in the price of the FUIM3 adapter in the price comparison then how are we to compare to the chargers that don't have a PC interface at all?
Or how about those who already have an FMA Cell Pro 10 , Multicharge 4 or Co Pilot so perhaps already have an interface so they do not need to purchase another one, period.

Want to compare overall features / abilities.

PL8 100 watts disch. internal out of the box. iCharger 208B 30 watts, TP 1010C ,25 watts, most recent Hyperion 720 80 watts.

PL8 Regenerative discharge up to 500 watts into a single 12V PB or up to 1,000 watts in to a pair in series.

CB III $150 discharges only 100 watts or perhaps 125-150 if you fell lucky. Want to do 1,000 watts with CBA then it will cost you anotherapprox. $1,600

http://www.westmountainradio.com/order_RC.htm

The CBA software is great IMO, I have used it for over 4 years and prefer it over all others for overlaying test. Perhaps PL8 will have such abilities some day but even now PL8 does so much more.

Only other charger with 1A per cell balancing power is Cell Pro 10 and non I am aware of have 2A per cell capabilities.

Anyone else ever read post about this charger and that charger not charging all cells to the same voltage,or not being able to charge to an exact voltage level desired or not being able to
...........the list goes on and on. I have not been able to find anything within reason this charger can not do. It is the first and only charger that I would chose over my Thunder Power 1010c / 210V combo if I could only have only one charger.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Feb 02, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 02:34 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
FMA adapters will most likely be for single packs only unless the smart parallelel adapter is used.

I posted earlier that the first thing I did was create Dean series / parallel adapters and series / parallel balancing harnesses.
I have charged 4ea. 4S 3300 LiPolys as a 8S 2P (6600) at 30 amps. or just over 960 watts.

See post here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=41
Charles
Thanks. I was afraid of that. It would be nice if FMA would build a serial adapter to support 2x 4s with a fuse on the node line that connects both packs in case the operator accidentally connects the packs wrong.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Feb 03, 2010, 12:30 AM
Splash down!
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
1,035 Posts
Anyone know what will come with the charger? I will be balance charging a hyperion 6s 6500mah battery. The pre-order page does not seem to say what will be included that I can find so I don't know what I will need to charge the battery. I plan to not buy any adapter to connect to a PC. I don't need those features and it increases the price of the charger more than I want to spend.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:09 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post
Anyone know what will come with the charger? I will be balance charging a hyperion 6s 6500mah battery. The pre-order page does not seem to say what will be included that I can find so I don't know what I will need to charge the battery. I plan to not buy any adapter to connect to a PC. I don't need those features and it increases the price of the charger more than I want to spend.
I believe the bare bones charger will come with a set of discharge leads to plug into the banana jacks on the charger. Those will not have any connector on the battery end so you can put on whatever you use. It will also come with a 9 pin JST type pigtail to plug into the balancing tap on the charger. It also will have no connector on the battery end.

The input power leads have a very hefty set of alligator clips for attachment to a power supply.

I expect there will be some special price offers coming up that will include the FUSIM3 computer cable and / or battery adapters.

Glen
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:45 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,796 Posts
I take it none of the adapter boards from the Multi4 will work on the PL8?
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:19 AM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
I take it none of the adapter boards from the Multi4 will work on the PL8?
Hi,

They will work.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:37 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

They will work.
Thanks, Howard. That's good news!

Unless I missed it, would it be possible if someone could post some closeup pics of all the I/O ports on the PL8 as well as the Smart Parallel Adapter?