HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:15 AM
Vineland, N.J.
Joined Sep 2003
645 Posts
Internal

What I was referring to is the "balancer" in this link ->
http://www.fromeco.org/products/05frc2sbal/

The statement below is referincing a 2S2P IronCore pack.
When I inquired about how it works, this is what Kurt from Fromeco told me;

Quote:
The Balancer has a micro controller on it. Basically it looks at set 1 "doesn't mater what side, and lets say that set 1 actually has the Positive "+" to the positive side of the cell, so it sees a voltage of 3.02... Now the micro controller switches sides, now it is looking at set 2 and Positive on 2 is actually hooked to negative side of the cells, so it reads -3.12. At that point the balancer will come on and drain set 2 down to about -3.07.. Once it has done this it will shut off and go to sleep, 5 seconds later it will wake up and start all over again.

bob_nj is offline Find More Posts by bob_nj
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2008
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj View Post
Noticed you've been a member since 2007, and you have 4 posts.
Is this your post for the year (-:
He'll answer you next year.
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:31 AM
Vineland, N.J.
Joined Sep 2003
645 Posts
I Don't Think There's Anybody Back There!

Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:50 PM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Post deleted for further edit.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:20 PM
Joined Dec 2007
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_nj View Post
If you are satisfied with the internal balancer on the pack, charge it using an "unbalanced" preset.

I had a Fromeco pack with an internal balancer.
I disabled the internal balancer, added a tap using the wires from the internal balancer that were already there, and then balanced the pack as usual.

Noticed you've been a member since 2007, and you have 4 posts.
Is this your post for the year (-:

Hope that helps
Bob
Haha Good one!
But comment like that from someone who has made 300 odd posts over 8 years time period. Its quite funny!
dards is offline Find More Posts by dards
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:09 AM
Vineland, N.J.
Joined Sep 2003
645 Posts
)-:

Sorry, and no disrespect intended.
I thought the smiley (-: would indicate that it was purely in jest.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:34 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Why 10A limit for internal discharge?

If there is a 100 watt limit on internal discharge why is there also a 10A limit?

I am cycling a 5000 mah single cell to determine its capacity change over a large number of cycles and I can only do a 2c discharge at 37 watts because of the 10A limit.

If I could do a 100 watt discharge I could at least do 5c.

Thanks,
Dale
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:19 AM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
If there is a 100 watt limit on internal discharge why is there also a 10A limit?

I am cycling a 5000 mah single cell to determine its capacity change over a large number of cycles and I can only do a 2c discharge at 37 watts because of the 10A limit.

If I could do a 100 watt discharge I could at least do 5c.

Thanks,
Dale
Dale,
Just a suggestion. Connect you PL8 to your car battery and charge the 5000 mAh batteries at their max C rating and discharge at 20 or 30 or even 40 amps. That will really speed things up the process and also give a more realistic battery condition/capacity. I do that all the time, charge at 40A and discharge at 40A, however, I am doing this with 10C chargeable NanoTech batteries.
Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:27 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Since I am doing hundreds of cycles I would need to float charge car battery and I am not sure how the float charger would interact with the PL8, probably be OK, anybody tried float charging and regenerative discharging at the same time?

Thanks
Dale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,509 Posts
If you trickle charge the Pb and its' voltage gets to high it will reduce the Regen. ability.
A single 5000 mAh cell should not use more than approx. 1.7Ah for a charge and with most of it being returned to tyhe Pb you should be able to do a number of cycles before the Pb needs any addational charge.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:14 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Charles,

While your suggestion would work, it is not very practical in my case where I want to just have the cycling run 24 hrs a day without bother.

I guess my question really is why is there a 10A limit if there is already a 100watt limit?

5c would be just fine if I could do it internally.

Thanks,
Dale
Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:52 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Charles,

While your suggestion would work, it is not very practical in my case where I want to just have the cycling run 24 hrs a day without bother.

I guess my question really is why is there a 10A limit if there is already a 100watt limit?

5c would be just fine if I could do it internally.

Thanks,
Dale
Hi:

The answer to your question is, in addition to a wattage limit, there is a current limitation on the transistor used for internal discharge as well.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:47 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Thanks Tim,

I somehow envisioned the same device would be used for internal as external just a different load.

Dale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:46 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tim,

I somehow envisioned the same device would be used for internal as external just a different load.

Dale
Hi:

No. For internal discharge, a transistor switch effectively is the load. For external, the current path is same as for charging (through the power section); but reversing direction of current flow due to syncronous operation. During external discharge, the load is the input battery; hence, very little heat is generated.

Tim
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:42 AM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Ok 14 months after the announcement and 9 months after owning one I have a question... Well, maybe a 2nd or 3rd

Is there a Lipo balance only mode on the PL8? I have a 3s 2200 pack that had 1 cell about .2V out of balance. I had to put it on my Hyperion DUO 3 in balance mode as I could not find a balance mode on my PL8. This was after completing a "storage mode" charge on the PL8.

Is this feature actually missing?

If it is, I want to suggest adding it in a future firmware update.

Dave
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy