SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:35 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
If a ring terminal is not properly engaged and getting good all around contact you dont want to pull 50A across it. Part of it would act like a fuse at that point.

I will need to find someone to crimp on the anderson power 50 amp for mine.

Its just a thought.

Quite true. The ring terminals are intended to work on the 1/4" posts typically found on many PSU's in the form of binder posts. When you crank a binder post down on them, they're not likely to come loose unless you are subjecting the setup to vibration.

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Why not Deans? Just insert a set between the crocodile clips and charger. Male on the charger. Then make another harness with female deans and solder it directly to your power supply. Presto. Choices.
Plug the charger into the power supply or attach the crocodile clips.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:55 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,689 Posts
Quote:
I would like to see a different option for the connectors instead of the crocodile clamps.

Perhaps a SB50 or SB120 anderson power plug on the end would be nice. I would change it out if I still had access to the dies for the SB350 but alas I do not.

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html

http://www.allspectrum.com/store/pro...oducts_id=1450
Perhaps they can be soldered? I'd most likely just use the 45A APPs.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
It's really up to the end user to decide the best connection mechanism. I like the clamps with ring terminals as it works well with lead-acid batteries and yet I can fairly easily remove the clamps if desired. I've been trying to think of a good way to be able to connect the PL8 to the banana jacks of my flight box, looks to me like your idea of a Deans would work well for that.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:38 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Yup. There are a few pics in my blog.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:39 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Doherty View Post
So, a lot of thought did go into the selections chosen.

Jack

I didn't want to let this comment go without giving a huge THANK YOU to FMA for using high quality, high gauge input wires. On my Cellpro 10s, the input wires would get warm when running the charger at full capacity. I and others upgraded thier input wires so the 10s could run without being limited by this simple but important component. One less mod required. Nice work guys!
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:33 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymac View Post
Guys, we have an answer from an FMA engineer on the PL8 project regarding the use of the Opto Isolated interface as it is rather than a direct USB connecter. Here it is:

If for some reason the user were
to remove ground from the power supply while the competitors charger were
running, up to 50 amps could go directly to the mother board of their
computer thru the USB cable. Somehow, I don't think 28 gauge wire will
handle 50 amps. The ground circuit is made thru the earth ground of the
power supply and computer supply.

This is why all our chargers use opto isolated USB interfaces. It can't
smoke the computer.
This is only partially correct, yes you want opto-isolation but no one said it had to be in the computer-end of the dongle, build it into the unit. Please guys, stop using these silly 4-pin dongles that require drivers! Today we swap computers left and right, 32-bit and 64-bit and drivers are an issue. Let the OS handle the USB drivers and just start producing systems that are plug-and-play by nature of a standard interface...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:13 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
This is only partially correct, yes you want opto-isolation but no one said it had to be in the computer-end of the dongle, build it into the unit. Please guys, stop using these silly 4-pin dongles that require drivers! Today we swap computers left and right, 32-bit and 64-bit and drivers are an issue. Let the OS handle the USB drivers and just start producing systems that are plug-and-play by nature of a standard interface...

Jack
There is no such thing as a standard interface. The FTDI USB chipset is as good as it gets.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:37 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
There is no such thing as a standard interface. The FTDI USB chipset is as good as it gets.
I absolutely agree, and they have fantastic driver support.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Jan 22, 2010, 09:45 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
I work in the computer field, by standard interace, I mean a standard connector, what used to be 9-pin serial is now USB or mini USB. The point is make it something most people HAVE already and isn't likely to go away for some time...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:26 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfetter View Post
I work in the computer field, by standard interace, I mean a standard connector, what used to be 9-pin serial is now USB or mini USB. The point is make it something most people HAVE already and isn't likely to go away for some time...

Jack
I work in the computer field too. The only thing constant is change. I was actually excited that my new DROID has a standard USB connector on it and I thought I could could use my existing cigarette lighter charger and my old AC charger as a backup/travel charger. Only then did I learn that the DROID uses yet another USB connector, a micro USB connector. Now, there are mini to micro adapters and I got one, but I hate those adapters/gender changers.

Ideally, the USB interface (FTDI chipset) should be in the charger itself. The new Hyperion chargers are this way. Unfortunately, the USB chipsets are not free and FMA saved a few dollars by not putting the chip directly on each charger. Instead, they pass the cost along to the consumer by selling the adapter.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:11 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
I would really like to see the elimination of the dongle or whatever you want to call it. At the very least a different plug than the servo connector that can go two different ways. On my multi4 the pins dont even have a surrounding plastic housing so I have to choose the correct orientation and then make sure I get the connector on the fragile pins.

I get the theory you dont want 50 amps leaving the charger. There just has to be a better way to do this.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:22 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
The Anderson SB120's look like they'd work but my first thought would be to use their standard PP75 or PP120's

Jack, would you say I'd be ok with the PP75's or should I really go with the 120's?

I've always preferred to crimp AND solder for the best connection so that's not a problem.

Quote:
I would like to see a different option for the connectors instead of the crocodile clamps.

Perhaps a SB50 or SB120 anderson power plug on the end would be nice. I would change it out if I still had access to the dies for the SB350 but alas I do not.

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html

http://www.allspectrum.com/store/pro...oducts_id=1450
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:41 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
The Anderson SB120's look like they'd work but my first thought would be to use their standard PP75 or PP120's

Jack, would you say I'd be ok with the PP75's or should I really go with the 120's?

I've always preferred to crimp AND solder for the best connection so that's not a problem.
The limit here is really the wiregauge. PP75 or SB50 uses the same contacts that fit the 10 AWG input wires on the PL8.
PP120 and SB120 are too big since you can only get contacts made for 6 AWG or larger.

If you solder, you can use the 6 AWG contacts on 10 AWG wires, but there is no point.

I use the SB50 along with the hydraulic crimper from powerwerx.com:
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...es-50-amp.html
http://www.powerwerx.com/tools-meter...ping-tool.html

I use this on my 7s LiPo packs and I am very happy with them so far.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Last edited by Captain Norway; Jan 23, 2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 08:43 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Norway View Post

I use the SB50 along with the hydraulic crimper from powerwerx.com:
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...es-50-amp.html
http://www.powerwerx.com/tools-meter...ping-tool.html

I use this on my 7s LiPo packs and I am very happy with them so far.
Nice! Can you post some pics? How about a close up a crimped connection?

Any reason you went with the SB50 vs the PP75? The SB50 and PP75 appear to be almost identical in size.