HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:58 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
The SE1500 also requires a 180+ voltage input...
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:29 PM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
233 Posts
Sorry, I didn.t catch the business to business only or the 180vac requirement.
wingster is offline Find More Posts by wingster
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,532 Posts
After a lot of searching myself I've come to the conclusion that IMHO the IOTA 24v units are the best option available.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:17 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
I am going to watch this. I am a very very happy 4s user.

This new unit is clearly targeted to the large airplane, large pack customer, so I won't be buying one. But if one of you want to sell your 10s cheap when you get this one, let me know. Although I might build an electric tow plane for aerotowing gliders. If I did that, then this charger might be perfect for those big packs.

Glad to see you have a method for handling 2 packs. With all this power, not being able to handle 2 packs would be a crime.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Assorted PL8 Graphs:

Just for anyone and everyone's. Attached you will find seven screen shots of a 10 cycle Charge/Discharge of a new RevElectric Platinum 2200 3s batter pack that had 3 previous charges on it. As you can see the PL8 is a great tool for analysis, maintenance and documentation of batteries. And did I mention how easy it was, push a button and walk away letting the PL8 do the work for the next 8 hours.

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:01 PM
ProgressiveRC
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Beautiful graphs Jack, thanks for sharing. They are all very valuable in evaluating pack/cell performance. The % graphs, cell IR, and cell voltage vs. capacity are new ways of looking at things that are very helpful and interesting. Stuff like this has been difficult and tedious to put together in the past using ad hoc solutions.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:11 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
YES!!

That screen drives me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnGuy View Post
SteveM,

2 things...

My Cellpro 10s always starts charging showing a screen that says:

"CHARGING Press
MODE for Info."

If it's not already, it would be great if the PL 8 would start the charge showing the main charging screen automatically. Just a little annoyance to have to hit MODE every time.

2nd question... Just curious why the PL 8 was/is not a PL 10? I know they can be piggy backed together but since the older "HD charger" is 10s, I'm kind of surprised that the new PL isn't 10s If it was a price/design issue, I for one would rather pay a little more for a PL 10 than for a PL 8.

Dave
going4speed is online now Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
What do you need to discharge at greater than 30 amps?

With that in mind would it be possible to add an external discharger to this PL8 for people with needs such as this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biskit View Post
I missed the 30a max discharge in the first post. That's quite the downer! Still would be fine for testing packs as long as you test packs small enough to get the discharge rate you want to test at...

Good to hear it does any number of lead cells, that's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:41 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
I would like to see a different option for the connectors instead of the crocodile clamps.

Perhaps a SB50 or SB120 anderson power plug on the end would be nice. I would change it out if I still had access to the dies for the SB350 but alas I do not.

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html

http://www.allspectrum.com/store/pro...oducts_id=1450
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:36 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
I would like to see a different option for the connectors instead of the crocodile clamps.
How about some good ol' bullets?
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Jan 22, 2010, 01:51 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
The clamps are convient for those using Pb deep cycles or heaven forbid their car battery but they are also easy enough to remove.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1263748113

I have considered putting bullets on mine (in-line) so that I could use either but IMO you really need to use high quality 6 mm bullets if you go that route. Remember up to 50A at 24 volts. I know from past experience that 45amp. APPS and even 4 mm bullets will not stand this forever. The 4mm ones on the charger have done fine but I am using short (16") 12 ga. super flex with very good quality bullets.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:15 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
760 Posts
Along these same lines, when I got back into the hobby 3 years ago, I had decided to use Anderson Power Poles for input on all my chargers including the Cellpro 10s.

I could never really visually tell the difference between the 30 and 45A versions though tried to use 45A in this application.

Using these really simplified the connection of several chargers.

I'm wondering if I should skip the Power Poles (unless I use their huge 75A version) and go with something else for the PL-8? I could use EC5's but I was thinking about eventually swapping my main battery leads to EC5 and I prefer not to have the same connector on the input as the output.

Any other suggestions besides bullets?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
The clamps are convient for those using Pb deep cycles or heaven forbid their car battery but they are also easy enough to remove.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...6&d=1263748113

I have considered putting bullets on mine (in-line) so that I could use either but IMO you really need to use high quality 6 mm bullets if you go that route. Remember up to 50A at 24 volts. I know from past experience that 45amp. APPS and even 4 mm bullets will not stand this forever. The 4mm ones on the charger have done fine but I am using short (16") 12 ga. super flex with very good quality bullets.

Charles
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:27 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
How about some good ol' bullets?

Bullet connectors are barely sufficient to handle the max input rating of 50A and are therefore, not recommended. The plier clips are removable from the ends of the cables. On the ends of the wires are standard ring terminals which will provide a semi-permanent and solid attachment to most power supplies. I have attached the following document that FMA composed to illustrate removal of the clips. This document was prepared to illustrate the concept FMA established for supporting the massive power requirements of the PL8 as effectively and as easily as possible. In addition to this, FMA/REVO plans to offer a set of power cord extension cables which will be essentially the same thing as found on the PL8 input cable, removable plier clips on one end, 6 ft 10AWG silicon wire, terminating in 2 post assemblies which will be housed in PCB or similar material. The idea is you can extend the connections from your auto battery, or power supply and then use the clips on the charger's input cable to quickly connect/disconnect the charger from the input source. This is major power. FMA is attempting to mitigate any problems related to input connection issues attributable to sub-standard connectors typically used in the R/C industry, which, although good for typical charging products and input currents to 25A, are completely insufficient for the 50A, 24VDC that this unit requires. If you choose to hack off the existing solution and replace it with something different, please be sure to use connectors rated to 50A minimum; 80A preferred. The clips and ring terminals that come with the PL8 are rated for 80A. So, a lot of thought did go into the selections chosen.

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:52 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
If a ring terminal is not properly engaged and getting good all around contact you dont want to pull 50A across it. Part of it would act like a fuse at that point.

I will need to find someone to crimp on the anderson power 50 amp for mine.

Its just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Doherty View Post
Bullet connectors are barely sufficient to handle the max input rating of 50A and are therefore, not recommended. The plier clips are removable from the ends of the cables. On the ends of the wires are standard ring terminals which will provide a semi-permanent and solid attachment to most power supplies. I have attached the following document that FMA composed to illustrate removal of the clips. This document was prepared to illustrate the concept FMA established for supporting the massive power requirements of the PL8 as effectively and as easily as possible. In addition to this, FMA/REVO plans to offer a set of power cord extension cables which will be essentially the same thing as found on the PL8 input cable, removable plier clips on one end, 6 ft 10AWG silicon wire, terminating in 2 post assemblies which will be housed in PCB or similar material. The idea is you can extend the connections from your auto battery, or power supply and then use the clips on the charger's input cable to quickly connect/disconnect the charger from the input source. This is major power. FMA is attempting to mitigate any problems related to input connection issues attributable to sub-standard connectors typically used in the R/C industry, which, although good for typical charging products and input currents to 25A, are completely insufficient for the 50A, 24VDC that this unit requires. If you choose to hack off the existing solution and replace it with something different, please be sure to use connectors rated to 50A minimum; 80A preferred. The clips and ring terminals that come with the PL8 are rated for 80A. So, a lot of thought did go into the selections chosen.

Jack
Old Jan 22, 2010, 03:09 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,105 Posts
Some bullets

4mm rated to 75amps, but only 13 gauge wire.

http://www.readyheli.com/Castle_Crea...p/csem0001.htm

6.5 mm rated to 200 amps. No wire spec given
http://www.readyheli.com/Castle_Crea...p/csem0003.htm
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project