HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr-boise View Post
Charles, thanks for the tips. Haven't put the batts in bags, but will from now on. Yep, I expect the damaged batt isn't long for this world, except as a 2S. I don't need a 2S, but might in the future, I suppose, or a 5S by putting two of these TP's in parallel, in a bigger plane that I don't have yet. I seem to be like that one poster who said he keeps crashing his batts long before they wear out. So far, have damaged two of the four I had. Depressing, especially when the battery cost more than the ARF did.
I presume this is just a mind slip but just in case I'll say to make a 5S from a 2S and a 3S you connect them in series, not parallel.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:43 AM
HobbyShopWorld.com
Florida
Joined Nov 2002
314 Posts
is there a way to see new updates on web without having to connect software , charger to computer ?
joe_dejesus is offline Find More Posts by joe_dejesus
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:03 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Iota DLS 45 Beta firmware test

Latest Beta using Iota DLS 45 and 4ea. 3S 2200s charged as 6S 4400 at set rate of 21A.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:09 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_dejesus View Post
is there a way to see new updates on web without having to connect software , charger to computer ?
Have you tried launching the CCS without the charger connected?
CCS will check for updates and give you the choice of downloading them or skippiing the download. You can elect to downlload them or not and install them whenever you wish.

Charles
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:50 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
I presume this is just a mind slip but just in case I'll say to make a 5S from a 2S and a 3S you connect them in series, not parallel.

Glen
It was, but thanks for the reminder anyway.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:41 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
A123 as a safe alternative for regen discharging?

Could we have an option to regen discharge into a bank of A123 cells? I'd really like to use the discharge feature, but I don't have any Marine batteries laying around. I do have lots of A123 2300 mAh cells that I could use, however.

Your serious consideration would be appreciated.
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:05 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Treat a 4S A123 as a 12V deep cycle battery or an 8S A123 as a pair of them in series.

Edit: If you set the regen max voltage limit up a tad to 14.6V then each cell would be 3.65V when the PL8 detects the supply battery as full. Then set a low voltage limit of about 12.0V to keep from over discharging the A123 supply cells.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Last edited by SteveM732; Sep 23, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:32 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Sure, A123 are ideal as a regen discharge sink but you have to discharge them first, which you could do by using them to power the charger. The configuration using A123 cells will depemd upon the charging power levels and total mAh you need to deliver.

Something like 8S4P should sustain a 50A load at close to 24V so give you 1000W charger output. However you will only get about 10 minutes operation at that load.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
Treat a 4S A123 as a 12V deep cycle battery or an 8S A123 as a pair of them in series.

Edit: If you set the regen max voltage limit up a tad to 14.6V then each cell would be 3.65V when the PL8 detects the supply battery as full. Then set a low voltage limit of about 12.0V to keep from over discharging the A123 supply cells.
Thanks, yes, I've been doing this on a limited basis (only have 1 4s pack, though). I do, however have lots of 6s packs I'd like to use, but they read too low when trying to fool the PL8 thinking that it's a 24v connection...

Since A123 cells (2300's specifically) would work well as a sink, I hope they'll be an option in the future vs. having to pretend they're something the're not...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:37 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
12S A123 should look like 18S (36V) Pb to the charger, so you could use two of your 6S A123 packs in series.

[Edit]Ahh, I checked the spec.s, only rated to 32V input so no go with this plan.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:19 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Then what about multies of 6V for those who use Golf cart batteries. Possible combos of 12,18,24 and 30V. Then there are also single cell Pbs of 2V each so perhaps,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32 however 32 is the upper limit so perhaps that would be pushing the limit.

Only problem I see if someone gets careless and selects the wrong range as there are no balancing node connections to verify what is really a safe voltage range.

Charles
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:11 AM
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Then what about multies of 6V for those who use Golf cart batteries. Possible combos of 12,18,24 and 30V. Then there are also single cell Pbs of 2V each so perhaps,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,30,32 however 32 is the upper limit so perhaps that would be pushing the limit.

Only problem I see if someone gets careless and selects the wrong range as there are no balancing node connections to verify what is really a safe voltage range.

Charles
So, reading between the lines, are you trying to suggest that asking for another safe chemistry like LiFe is unreasonable?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:15 AM
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
12S A123 should look like 18S (36V) Pb to the charger, so you could use two of your 6S A123 packs in series.

[Edit]Ahh, I checked the spec.s, only rated to 32V input so no go with this plan.
Haha, you beat me to it - 12s a123 = poof!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:22 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision View Post
So, reading between the lines, are you trying to suggest that asking for another safe chemistry like LiFe is unreasonable?
Not at all as it s not my call to make anyway. I am merely pointing out that is adds addational potencial problems safety wise. There are already numerious Pb choices and they have different max. and min. voltage levels all in an effort to prevent a users from over or under charging a simple(?) Pb battery.

In theory FMA could make it completely open ended and let anyone chose any min. and max voltage that is safe for the charger such as a range from 10V to 32 volts. Question is what happens when some one sets range which is harmful for the source battery.

As it is now if one selelcts AGM and say max. Regenative discharge rate such as used with their large Ah field battery but forgets to change the settings when using a small small AGM they use at home they could find their 14Ah AGM being charged at 60amps. when the max rate should be more at 6A and charged to a higher voltage than recomended also.

There are presently 5 choices and a range of 10-15.7 volts and 1 to 60 amps.

If enough users request more options then I am sure they will be considered. There have been many suggested and implemented to date.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Strike two!!!!!!!!!

So, since I couldn't charge at over 18 amps with my 1500 watt Mastech power supply connected, I thought I would splurge and buy a pair of HP 114A Server Power supplies, that I really didn't need, (32 bucks delivered to my door ) for a distraction and to finally achieve that allusive 30 amp charge I've been longing for.

First 90% of the charge went well until I got the dreaded "banana over amp" error message. Tried to finish the packs, still at 30 amp charge rate, and I got the error again.

Still can't upload error logs to FMA, I get timeout errors. Satellite Internet connection, but I can stream video's just fine, so the data to FMA can't be "that heavy"...

C'mon FMA, I can do only so much to make this thing work.