SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:23 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
This is the same way the Hyperion chargers work, except the they say END. This way you can check all your data after it is DONE. FMA does use CHARGER STOPPED when it actually stops charging. This is all explained in the setup.

Page 31 & 32 of the manual

10. When the operation is complete, PowerLab 8 will “beep beep beep” several times and the display will show ELAPSED [time] / [chemistry] DONE. Press INC and DEC to review data screens.
11. Press and hold ENTER. Screen displays CHARGER STOPPED.
12. Press ENTER or BACK to return to the User Preset list.
13. Disconnect the pack from PowerLab 8.
PowerLab 8 is ready to charge another battery (step 3).
My point was whether or not that made sense from a usability/UI perspective. Shouldn't "Done" mean done?
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:13 AM
United States, NJ, Brick
Joined Jul 2005
126 Posts
what are some models of power supply for home use (120AC 15-amp service) that can be used to run one PL8 and provide the max power possible?
darkfa8 is offline Find More Posts by darkfa8
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:38 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Thanks for this information, Tim. I had always assumed that when the charger said "Done" it was was done and disconnected the balance/charge wires.

Does the charger monitor the individual cell voltages indefinitely or does it stop after a period of time? I'm wondering if it might be appropriate to replace the "Done" message with something that more accurately reflects that the charger is still monitoring the pack and that enter needs to be pressed to end the charge process and save the charge/discharge data.
Hi:

Actually, it's just the opposite. The charge data remains available until the process is terminated (press and hold ENTER). This clears the data and returns the PL8 to a ready state. I believe this is all clearly spelled out in the manual. Correct me if I'm wrong. I too have thought about your suggestion in the past, but I couldn't really come up with any better solution in the UI. Technically the charge/discharge IS done.

I think we've decided on a better solution. When the charger is just sitting there in limbo, we should probably ignore errors that cause "ambiguous" safety codes. This is the whole issue with the customer who keeps seeing "cell over-voltage" safety code. It's a false positive. Who cares if you get a pack removed error on the LCD as long as you know what caused it? Cell over-voltage is not as easy to understand and it's been driving this customer crazy. Solution, don't show the false positive.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:48 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I've been mainly using a Pb battery with the Pl8. Today I flew long enough that I depleted the Pb battery to 50% DoD, and still wanted to keep flying. So I started my car and connected the Pl8 to the car's battery. The voltage held around 14v while delivering about 25 amps. This worked fine until near the end of the charge. With the pack nearly fully charged, the PL8 stops the charge and reports "undercurrent". I restarted the charge. It ran for a few minutes then stopped the charge and reported undercurrent again. I successfully finished the charge with the Pb battery.

What would cause "undercurrent" to be triggered? I didn't find this error in the manual?
Hi:

According to the engineer:

First, he says he did not receive a memory dump on this error. If you get this error routinely, and you want us to try to fix it, please connect up to the CCS and send us a memory dump of the error over the internet. The CCS will automatically prompt you when it detects the error code stored in the charger's memory.

Secondly, here is the potential explanation of the error you saw:

If the current to the packs drops 75% in 100mS, the charger will issue a pack removed (under current) error. His car may have changed voltage suddenly.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:31 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
OK I tried my PL8 on my Iota DLS45 and same issues as others. I could only manage a 10A charge on a 6S 6600 (really 4ea. 3S 3300s).

Used two of my IBM 235s 24V / 30A power supplies and no problem charging at 20amps.(see first attachment) however there were some amp. swings at start of charge and fans pulsed on and off.

Added two attachments with one IBM 235 ps being used..

Lesson learned today. PL8 works better with server power supplies than with Iota power supplies.

Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
FYI, I am running two Iota DLS-55's in series and there is no problems whatsoever.
Follow UP:
Running two Iota DLS-55's in series
Charging A123 5s3p
PL8 = 30 amp charge in Balance mode
Iota's = 28.19 v, 21.2 amps, .54 kw (according to PL8 during 30amp charge)

Did not receive any errors.
(do not know if there would be a difference within the PL8 for charging A123's as opposed to Lipo's)
gww528 is offline Find More Posts by gww528
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:01 PM
Nebraska
Joined Jul 2003
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfa8 View Post
what are some models of power supply for home use (120AC 15-amp service) that can be used to run one PL8 and provide the max power possible?
I'm using a Meanwell SPV 1500-24 power supply rated at 1500 watts, 63 amps. It's not inexpensive but it's a nice switch mode powersupply in a relatively small package. The output can even be controlled by an external voltage source to switch the power supply output between 12 and 24 volts for those who might have some 12 volt equipment they might wish to utilize at the flying field.

Mike
Michael Moritko is offline Find More Posts by Michael Moritko
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:03 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moritko View Post
I'm using a Meanwell SPV 1500-24 power supply rated at 1500 watts, 63 amps. It's not inexpensive
Ya, that is nice unit, the upgraded RSP-1500. If I may ask, where did you get yours?
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:23 PM
Nebraska
Joined Jul 2003
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Ya, that is nice unit, the upgraded RSP-1500. If I may ask, where did you get yours?
I bought it through Jameco Electronics (www.jameco.com). I've dealt with Jameco for many years and they have always been fast and reliable.

Mike
Michael Moritko is offline Find More Posts by Michael Moritko
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:44 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie433 View Post
Tim, you are right on. When the charger says "DONE" I just disconnect. I didn't realize I need to to hold down enter when it completed on it's own.

Man I can't believe I missed that, I have scoured that manual. And it was in a bright yellow box to boot!!

Feeling stoopid now - thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Mike
One final update:

THIS WORKED !!! woo hoo, charged two packs last night with no errors. I figured if anyone else sees this error it will save some time resolving.

Thanks again,

Mike

Post History of problem 1635, 1631, 1578, 1592
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:29 AM
Quit Chucking My Wood
USA, TX, Amarillo
Joined Dec 2003
1,263 Posts
Kudo's to Dave at http://progressiverc.com/ I had a couple questions about the PL8 over the weekend and Dave took the time to answer my questions including what his stock was.

I have two PL8's on the way with a bunch of parallel balance adapters so I can charge Hobby City and Hyperion Packs.

No financial interest, just a happy customer.

Rich
rthorne is offline Find More Posts by rthorne
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,559 Posts
I still waiting for mine. I called FMA and they said the last shipment is stuck in customs.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:13 PM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Well, first attempt to charge at 30 amps = fail...

Mastech 3050EX (30 volts, 50 amps) power supply.

"Power Supply Unstable" is the error. The error would immediately pop up after the charger started pulling amps...

Was only able to get a successful charge when I lowered the charge amps to 22... Tried 31.5 volts input down to 24 volts with little difference.

Charging four 6s A123 packs in parallel.

V2.04 software

Tried to upload error, but I kept getting internet connection timeouts even thought internet seemed to be working ok.

(Edit, looks like I'm the 2nd Mastech 3050EX user with this problem)

Ideas?
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Last edited by SpeedVision; Sep 12, 2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:56 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision View Post
The error would immediately pop up after the charger started pulling amps...
Which error would that be?
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision View Post
Well, first attempt to charge at 30 amps = fail...

Was only able to get a successful charge when I lowered the charge amps to 20...

Mastech 3050EX (30 volts, 50 amps) power supply.

Voltage set to 24, amp knob set to 100%

Charging four 6s A123 packs in parallel.

V2.04 software

The error would immediately pop up after the charger started pulling amps...

Tried to upload error, but I kept getting internet connection timeouts even thought internet seemed to be working ok.

(Edit, looks like I'm the 2nd Mastech 3050EX user with this problem)

Ideas?
I believe that the PL8 is rated for 32V input (you best check that) so why not dial up your 3050 to 30V? This will reduce the input current required to deliver your target 30A output and possibly avoid the problem.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Sep 12, 2010, 06:47 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
Which error would that be?
Doh, "Power Supply Unstable" was the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
I believe that the PL8 is rated for 32V input (you best check that) so why not dial up your 3050 to 30V? This will reduce the input current required to deliver your target 30A output and possibly avoid the problem.
Yesterday 10:56 PM
Yes, I tried that first. The Mastech will acually reach 31.5 volts..., but no luck. I think I actually squeeked out a few more amps out of the charger with the voltage at 24.

Anything over 22 amps causes this error immediately.

Later that night I pushed my Meanwell SE-600-15 to it full rated capacity of 40 amps and 15 volts and I was able to reach a 25 amp charge.

I'm really happy with the PL8 overall! HOWEVER, l can't see putting the Mastech on the shelf in favor of something else. Especially since "the other 30 amp charger" seems to work fine with the 1500 watt Mastech...

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Last edited by SpeedVision; Sep 12, 2010 at 07:18 AM.