Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:10 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingster View Post
I too have been getting the "supply noise" error. I'm using an Iota DLS 45 charging four 5s 5000 lipos in parallel. Power supply output voltage is about 13.6v. If I charge at 20A total I will sometimes get the error. If I cut back to 19.5 A all is well. If I attach the jumper on the power supply that increases the voltage to 14.5v I can charge up to 21A.
Based on the spreadsheet you should be good for 24.8A out of the charger with 13.6v out of the power supply and good for 25.9A out of the charger with 14.2v out of the power supply.

If I remember correctly, everydayflyer has an Iota DLS-45 so he should be able to test this.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:16 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

If you can open the attached zip file in Excel, your question can easily be answered using Question 4. If you use the spreadsheet and input the specs you provided, the answer is 22.9A.

http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1301.zip

Here is the math of the spreadsheet:

13.6v * 50A = 680W * .85 (worst case efficiency) = 578W

Battery voltage at end of charge = 4.2 * 6 = 25.2V

578W / 25.2V = 22.94A

Tim Marks
Thank you very much !

Glen, also thanks for the reply.

Very much appreciated !!
Brownie433 is offline Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:44 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
wingster and drsmith751

Have you updated to 2.04 ?

2.04 was primarily to correct a different issue but perhaps could have an effect on this issue as well.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 28, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:59 AM
HobbyShopWorld.com
Florida
Joined Nov 2002
314 Posts
question on the smart parallel balance cards/boards?

when parallel charging if person accidentaly plugs in the balance charge plug backwards OR like what happened in post #1461 with a manufacture soldered plug reversed will smart the prallel board spark or open up and go black??????

thanks!
Joe
joe_dejesus is offline Find More Posts by joe_dejesus
Old Aug 28, 2010, 10:07 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
Quote:
If I remember correctly, everydayflyer has an Iota DLS-45 so he should be able to test this.
Yes I do Pete however I do not have any 5-8S Lipolys and 3300 is my largest 4S packs.

I have charged 6 and 8S LiPolys at up to 30A and 8S A123s at up to 30 amps also but I had to run them in series and parallel to do so. Best I could do as a test would be 4 eas. 3S 3300 configured as a 6S6600 set for 20 A charge which is 252 watts if you use 4.2 per cell. I use 4.0 myslef so more like 480 watts.

Such a test however may or may not be that beneficial. My chargers and IOTA are not the ones giving problems. I did max rate chargers very early in testing and posted the results. This is not to say that nothing has chnaged since then however and in fact I have completely different PL8 charge(s) now and no I did not have any issues with the original one.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:22 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
Deleted dupe
Last edited by everydayflyer; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_dejesus View Post

when parallel charging if person accidentaly plugs in the balance charge plug backwards OR like what happened in post #1461 with a manufacture soldered plug reversed will smart the prallel board spark or open up and go black??????

thanks!
Joe
That question was aked before and I guess Tim missed it.
As I understand it the poly fuses limit the max. currect to 1amp. and over that they heat up their resistence increases to limit current flow and the special heat sensitive coating on them turns dark(black). These are designed to pre3vent major damage to the charger,the parallel adapters and the batteries. I do not have any so no first hand experience with them. I do have other poly fuses which I use and have tested and they provide said protection but I do not use them for parallel charging.

All of my parallel ,series and combination series / parallel charging / balancing have no protection. I check all connection 3 times take a deep breath check them again and pray I have not made a mistake as I connect them together.

Only for the experienced,brave and perhaps a little fool hearty.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=41

Charles
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:13 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_dejesus View Post

thanks!
Joe
Hi:

Yes, as Charles mentioned, any high-current scenario, such as reverse polarity or shorted/nearly shorted cells, the red temperature indicators will turn black. Remove the packs and find out what is causing the problem immediately.

We also strongly recommend using the safety banana cables we supply, or if you use your own, put the 35A auto fuse in the red line. If the balance connectors are reverse polarity from the main discharge leads, the fuses will blow preventing melt-down of wiring.

Using the safe parallel adapters in conjunction with fused discharge leads will prevent damage to the adapters, wiring, and charger. We can not protect the batteries in all cases, however. In certain cases of customer error; i.e., plugging two different cell count packs together using safe parallel adapters, the smaller pack will like be damaged instantly. But in many cases such as reverse polarity, the batteries should survive without permanent damage.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:01 PM
USA, MI, Grand Ledge
Joined May 2006
120 Posts
Can you parallel discharge following the same "rules" as parallel charging?
ledgehunter is offline Find More Posts by ledgehunter
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:14 PM
HobbyShopWorld.com
Florida
Joined Nov 2002
314 Posts
Great!

YES I also have FMAs fused main charge leads...

Thank ou for clarification!

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Yes, as Charles mentioned, any high-current scenario, such as reverse polarity or shorted/nearly shorted cells, the red temperature indicators will turn black. Remove the packs and find out what is causing the problem immediately.

We also strongly recommend using the safety banana cables we supply, or if you use your own, put the 35A auto fuse in the red line. If the balance connectors are reverse polarity from the main discharge leads, the fuses will blow preventing melt-down of wiring.

Using the safe parallel adapters in conjunction with fused discharge leads will prevent damage to the adapters, wiring, and charger. We can not protect the batteries in all cases, however. In certain cases of customer error; i.e., plugging two different cell count packs together using safe parallel adapters, the smaller pack will like be damaged instantly. But in many cases such as reverse polarity, the batteries should survive without permanent damage.

Tim Marks
joe_dejesus is offline Find More Posts by joe_dejesus
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:46 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledgehunter View Post
Can you parallel discharge following the same "rules" as parallel charging?
Sure

Charles
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:15 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
The "banana over amps" problem is still present with 2.04 software.

Other than that, no issues for me.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Aug 29, 2010, 02:46 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Yup - i got banana over amps error after upgrading to 2.04 also.
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
wingster and drsmith751

Have you updated to 2.04 ?

2.04 was primarily to correct a different issue but perhaps could have an effect on this issue as well.

Charles
I have updated to 2.04. I was charging last nite and this is what I found:

Max output I charge to is 375-395 watts. I put a multimeter on the output from the power supply and it is a consistent 13.52v, the PL8 supply volage reading is 14.4-14.43v. Not sure why there is a difference.

If I try to charge two 6s 5000 packs in parallel @7amps each I get no supply limiting (Supply Normal). If I charge the same packs at 8amps each I get (Reduce-Supply Voltage Noise). I get the message imediately as soon as the output gets around 300watts. But when I charged to 7amps I was able to go over the 300watts with no limiting.

On one charge it was interuptd with Safety Code#4 - Power Supply unstable?

My charging wires and PS are dead cool during the process - it does even seem that the PS is straining.

One more item, unrelated, is that I always get an error message when I start up the PL8 w/the computer interface. It says - "safety Codes have been logged on the PL8 ... Do you want to send to FMA". On my Errors tab it says "No Preset Errors Found". Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.
drsmith751 is offline Find More Posts by drsmith751
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:52 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Your multimeter probably has insufficient bandwidth to measure the voltage fluctuations that the PL8 claims to be experiencing. You'd need to measure with an oscilloscope to see if your power supply really is noisy or not.

The preset errors and safety codes are different entities. The preset errors pertain to the error in the preset such as trying to set a voltage too high or low. The safety codes that pop up when you plug in the interface are data dumps that happen when you got safety code #4, you should send the report to FMA if you haven't done so already.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732