HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:26 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
Yet another great function of this charger - automatic uploading of diagnostic information for engineering to quickly fix.
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:17 PM
United States, VT, Alburgh
Joined Jan 2004
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyclic View Post
did they update the software version on the PL8 to charge to full 30amps without having the reset message indicating high output connector temp. ?

thanks
has this been addressed yet ?

I have 2x PL8 and I can't use the full 30a charge rate. This apparently is a known issue.
4cyclic is offline Find More Posts by 4cyclic
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:19 PM
Mis-guided heli guy
Austin, TX USA
Joined Mar 2007
1,470 Posts
I was told it will be in the next patch - not sure what the ETA is..
Jeff_edge540 is offline Find More Posts by Jeff_edge540
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyclic View Post
has this been addressed yet ?

I have 2x PL8 and I can't use the full 30a charge rate. This apparently is a known issue.
I wonder how this could even be possible based on the extensive testing that was done.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:53 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_edge540 View Post
I was told it will be in the next patch - not sure what the ETA is..
It would be nice if there was a way to be notified of an update via email.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:45 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8 Posts
I can't get my CCS and PL8 to talk to each other. Is there an LED to indicate power to my Fumegummiesueme3 thingy. I suspect mine is DOA. I've invested an hour of my life to either feel real stupid or except mine is dead.
rcinstructor is offline Find More Posts by rcinstructor
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:46 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
I wonder how this could even be possible based on the extensive testing that was done.
The beta testers only had one charger each for the vast majority of the testing. Multiple charger features were a relatively recent addition and only a few beta testers have two chargers, some because they purchased another unit when they were released. I still only have a single PL8 unit so I contribute nothing towards finding such bugs.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:28 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM732 View Post
The beta testers only had one charger each for the vast majority of the testing. Multiple charger features were a relatively recent addition and only a few beta testers have two chargers, some because they purchased another unit when they were released. I still only have a single PL8 unit so I contribute nothing towards finding such bugs.
This problem exsists with using only one charger. On the first firmware, it would always happen when charging 30A. With the latest, it happens every 5th charge or so. I had to lower my preset to 29.5A.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:10 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:

Meet the Beta Team:
Glen Crandall
Jack Doherty
Charles Langley
Heyward Macdonald
Steve Meliza

Sorry but the 5 of us along with 2 or 3 FMA employees let a few bugs slip by.
Early in testing non except perhaps myself had power source large enough to run one at max. most do not have LiPolys large enough to run them at max. output. All of my 20 amp. plus charges are of short duration.

One EE / IT / Programmer can only do so much , there have been work a rounds posted.

29 of 30 amps is 96.6% or max. rated output and better than most chargers will do.

I guess when the version of the firmware / software that only a couple of us are testing is released ther will be even more bugs perhaps. The combinations possible with two of these running together is even more over whelming.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:31 AM
Molde, Norway
Joined Jan 2001
2,456 Posts
Someone at FMA should have a look at the combo pricing on PL8 with accessories, I'm thinking about getting a second PL8 with some extras, but what is the point of having a combo "deal" if it's cheaper to buy the products separately? As the prices have been dropped on both the charger and the extras, so should the combo prices have done too.
Arngeir Blakseth is offline Find More Posts by Arngeir Blakseth
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:21 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post

Sorry but the 5 of us along with 2 or 3 FMA employees let a few bugs slip by.
Early in testing non except perhaps myself had power source large enough to run one at max. most do not have LiPolys large enough to run them at max. output. All of my 20 amp. plus charges are of short duration.

Charles
I wasn't trying to single anyone out. I've done my fair share of product evaluation, testing, and implementation so I'm well aware that you can't test what you don't have. Since FMA does have their own line of batteries and it's their charger being tested it seems only natural that they would provide all the necessary test equipment (i.e., LiPos and power supplies, etc.) along with the chargers.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcinstructor View Post
I can't get my CCS and PL8 to talk to each other. Is there an LED to indicate power to my Fumegummiesueme3 thingy. I suspect mine is DOA. I've invested an hour of my life to either feel real stupid or except mine is dead.
Hi:

Please check the following FAQ from the REVOLECTRIX website. If you are running one of these OS's, chances are this will get you going. If you continue to have problems, contact Howard Matos in tech support howard@fmadirect.com

I'm using Windows Vista or Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (or 32-bit). Do I have to have the FUIM2/FUIM3 connected to the USB device before connecting it to my computer? I ask because I keep getting "no driver found for your device."

1) Leave the FUIM2/FUIM3 disconnected from the CPII and from your PC's USB port.
2) Launch the Co-Pilot II application.
3) Click the download USB driver link from the application window.
4) Pick the correct driver from the web page. If your device is FUIM2, use the Driver for Win Vista x32 or x64 bit. If it's the FUIM3, there's only one driver.
5) Follow the on screen instructions. If you have attempted to load the driver before, what might happen is an uninstall first. If you see that the program wants to uninstall the driver, let it. Then go back to the website and install it again.
6) Now launch the CPII application again.
7) Plug the USB end of the interface into your USB port at this time. Win7 should tell you the driver is loaded now.
8) Plug the other end of the cable into the CPII computer's ACCY port and apply power.
9) Click the firmware you wish to install, then choose Update Firmware.

* NOTE, this particular FAQ is for the CPII product. Substitute PL8 or PL8 CCS in the above instructions.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Last edited by Tim Marks; Aug 20, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 09:50 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Well that would be nice and certainly different from any beta testing I have ever done.

I have always supplied my own chargers,balancers,power supplies,LiPolys etc. during beta testing. From time to time I just happen to be testing both a charger/blancer and LiPolys for the same vendor but it is a rare occasion.

Some reviewers are infact furnished an aircraft with motor,ESC,servos and even a battery but most still have to supply a charger,receiver and do the final assembly and the actual flight testing.

Overall beta / field testing is not nearly as lucurative or as simple as many seem to think.
I have free time ,support equipment (most of it anyway) and enjoy trying to find bugs,offer suggestions for improvements in the hopes that not only myself but also other flyers will benefit from my efforts. When I let a bug slip by I feel bad about it but after all I am only human.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:31 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Norway View Post
This problem exsists with using only one charger. On the first firmware, it would always happen when charging 30A. With the latest, it happens every 5th charge or so. I had to lower my preset to 29.5A.
Since this is the first I've heard of this particular bug I was not aware it happened even with just one charger. Rest assured, I have made several charges at 30A with A123 packs. I don't have any LiPo that can handle anything close to 30A. If the bug is in the LiPo presets and not the A123 then I would never come across it.

PeteB, the simple fact of the matter is the PL8 is so feature rich that it is nearly impossible to guarantee 100% coverage of every possible usage situation with such a small group and some bugs will slip through. The mechanism to cope with this is the built in bug reporting feature that empowers every user to contribute. The bug that we are discussing is fixable and a less than 2% reduction in capability below advertised and no one got hurt and nothing was damaged.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:40 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
I'm sure most of you got this email too, but here it is for those of you who didn't.
http://www.fmadirect.com/small_parts.htm