HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2004
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
I don't run my packs in parallel and hope I never have to. At least with LiPos. But as to your question, packs wired in parallel in a model are done so after they are safely charged, and balanced. When the packs leave the charger, the operator knows the state of all cells, which includes voltage matching.
As Charles said I was talking about pre-wired single packs with cells in parallel (example: 2s2p). These type of packs are very common.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:58 PM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,115 Posts
Tim,

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply. Its much appreciated.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
In fact, for developmental purposes, we have established a table which spells out all of the potential safety hazards associated with parallel charging.
Tim, are you able to share this table?

Thanks!

Greg
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:14 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
This discharge function is a big deal if you're using 6s 5000mah. This will allow me to discharge these packs back to two marine deep cycle batteries on the way home instead of breaking out the lap top, hooking up the CBA, and watching over it for hours on end.

Where do I send my deposit? Tim?
Hi:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about your question. I had to check on the answer. We are not yet taking advance orders for the PowerLab 8. When we are ready for that, we will let everybody know with a bulk email announcement. If you are not already on the FMA Direct email list, you can join at the following link:

http://www.fmadirect.com/email.htm

I will add this information to the first post of this thread as well.

Thanks,

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 12:28 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Tim,

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful reply. Its much appreciated.




Tim, are you able to share this table?

Thanks!

Greg
Hi:

Regarding your first comment, it's my pleasure.

Regarding your new inquiry, the table is kind of messy. It makes sense to us, but it would require a lot of explanation. I think it's easier if I just boil it all down into the following:

To summarize, SPA will check:

1) charge states out of bounds
2) bad (open) connector pins on balance leads and/or adapters
3) intermittent connector pins
4) wrong cell count between 2 packs
5) forget to interconnect nodes of both packs
6) shorted/open cells
7) discharge leads connected series instead of parallel
8) reverse polarity on nodes and/or discharge leads

In terms of safety, we feel confident the SPA could do for Parallel Charging what cell balancing does for charging LiPo. The device is crying for a new name. We definitely need to address that. It should reach the beta team in February for testing.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:58 AM
Major Electron Addiction
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Aug 2006
568 Posts
Do I understand correctly, that I will be able to use the SPA unit to parallel charge two 6s 5000mah batteries with one Cellpro 10s charger?
rodsmith123 is offline Find More Posts by rodsmith123
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:11 PM
Adam Gibson
xStatiCa's Avatar
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
827 Posts
Someone pinch me! Is this real? . I will be one of the first to preorder one of these. I normally wouldn't spend over $200 for a charger but to charge my 6s 6500mah battery at up to 5C (even though I would only go to 4C) would be worth the cash.

I would pre-order this now!

I will have a 24v 75amp continuous power supply waiting for this bad boy!
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:26 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Ha! This charger isn't even out yet and it already cost me some $$$!

Seriously, the PowerLab, IMO will be one of the greatest steps forward for our hobby in 2010. I would say it's a close second to the "flybarless revoloution" (heli guy, here) as that will really take hold in 2010 as well.

I've been following this thread closely and the PowerLab is really beyond words in terms of it sheer capabilities. The only thing that left me in the dark was the ability to fully power this "bad boy"...

I currently have two I-charger 106b+'s and they have performed flawless for me (LiPo and A123 mainly), but I wanted more power and I didn't want to use 2 chargers. So the PowerLab is definitely a breath of fresh air. I also miss my favorite little FMA charger...

Anyway, back to the POWER SUPPLY - I've always wanted a Mastech and I was looking at www.mastechpowersupply.com and noticed they had a couple new (to me) power supplies that seem to address the shortcomings of the popular HY5020E. The new HY3050EX, 30 volts 50 amps and the HY3030EX 30 volts, 30 amps. They have current and voltage protection built in and they tell me that they won't fry in case of a power loss (generator running out of gas) with the batteries connected. This might not matter with the PowerLab (not sure!), but it is an issue when charging A123's directly. They also seem to marry up well with the PowerLab.

In anticipation of my PowerLab purchase I ended up buying the new HY3050EX. What do you guys think? I don't want to make this a power supply thread, but it is an equally important part of the overall equation, correct??!!

Let me know your thoughts about my decision to pony up and get the HY3050EX to feed my future PowerLab!
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:58 PM
CPII HD & PL8 beta tester
Jack Doherty's Avatar
Aubrey, Texas
Joined May 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision View Post
Ha! This charger isn't even out yet and it already cost me some $$$!

Seriously, the PowerLab, IMO will be one of the greatest steps forward for our hobby in 2010. I would say it's a close second to the "flybarless revoloution" (heli guy, here) as that will really take hold in 2010 as well.

I've been following this thread closely and the PowerLab is really beyond words in terms of it sheer capabilities. The only thing that left me in the dark was the ability to fully power this "bad boy"...

I currently have two I-charger 106b+'s and they have performed flawless for me (LiPo and A123 mainly), but I wanted more power and I didn't want to use 2 chargers. So the PowerLab is definitely a breath of fresh air. I also miss my favorite little FMA charger...

Anyway, back to the POWER SUPPLY - I've always wanted a Mastech and I was looking at www.mastechpowersupply.com and noticed they had a couple new (to me) power supplies that seem to address the shortcomings of the popular HY5020E. The new HY3050EX, 30 volts 50 amps and the HY3030EX 30 volts, 30 amps. They have current and voltage protection built in and they tell me that they won't fry in case of a power loss (generator running out of gas) with the batteries connected. This might not matter with the PowerLab (not sure!), but it is an issue when charging A123's directly. They also seem to marry up well with the PowerLab.

In anticipation of my PowerLab purchase I ended up buying the new HY3050EX. What do you guys think? I don't want to make this a power supply thread, but it is an equally important part of the overall equation, correct??!!

Let me know your thoughts about my decision to pony up and get the HY3050EX to feed my future PowerLab!

I absolutely am not a power supply expert but I did look at the specification of the HY3050EX and to me it looked like it would meet the max requirements of the PL8. Looked like they had reduced the price considerably as well.

If you have not looked at FMA's PowerLab Calculator yet, I suggest you do so. You can download it from the following address.

http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1301.zip

Jack
Jack Doherty is offline Find More Posts by Jack Doherty
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:13 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Tim Marks's Avatar
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsmith123 View Post
Do I understand correctly, that I will be able to use the SPA unit to parallel charge two 6s 5000mah batteries with one Cellpro 10s charger?
Yes, this is correct; and safely I might add.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:43 PM
ProgressiveRC
write2dgray's Avatar
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Speedvision - Great buy on the new Mastech 3050EX ($400), and those are some new options I had not yet seen or considered. The 3030EX looks like a nice option too for the less demanding power users at only $260.
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:08 PM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
As Charles said I was talking about pre-wired single packs with cells in parallel (example: 2s2p). These type of packs are very common.
I'm not ignoring these comments. I have concerns about this type of pack configuration. Less so, with those joined at the hip for life, vs the packs combined at charge time. However, as these concerns are not related to FMA or the PL8, I'd prefer to move these discussions to PM's and other forums.

I believe the topic of parallel charging with the PL8 would be better served by detailed discussions about the "SPA" when it releases.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
105 Posts
Some quick questions:

1. The twin 13 CFM 50mm fans; just how loud, or quiet are they at full tilt cooing? I suspect fairly quiet since they're only pushing 13 CFM.
2. Charge settings, what is the stepping for output Amperage. Or stated another way...when selecting charge rate, what is the increment amount?
3. For Nixx chemistries, what is the lowest and what is the highest deltaV setting, and is it per cell or per pack?
chainring is offline Find More Posts by chainring
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 06:19 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray View Post
Speedvision - Great buy on the new Mastech 3050EX ($400), and those are some new options I had not yet seen or considered. The 3030EX looks like a nice option too for the less demanding power users at only $260.
Thanks, David! Icing on the cake would be buying my PowerLab from Progressiverc.com!
SpeedVision is offline Find More Posts by SpeedVision
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:00 AM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Some quick questions:

1. The twin 13 CFM 50mm fans; just how loud, or quiet are they at full tilt cooing? I suspect fairly quiet since they're only pushing 13 CFM.
2. Charge settings, what is the stepping for output Amperage. Or stated another way...when selecting charge rate, what is the increment amount?
3. For Nixx chemistries, what is the lowest and what is the highest deltaV setting, and is it per cell or per pack?
The fans are not silent but not annoying either. I am aware when they come on but if I am watching TV or listening to the radio they are not bothersome. Also I understand these are pre production fans and the production models will be quieter.

Depending on the chemistry and battery type the steps can be as low as 5ma for small lipo packs, 50ma for larger packs.

Have to check on the deltaV for nixx.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
ProgressiveRC
write2dgray's Avatar
Seattle, WA
Joined Dec 2006
1,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVision View Post
Thanks, David! Icing on the cake would be buying my PowerLab from Progressiverc.com!
Thanks! It's probably worth noting here: as many are probably aware, the only way to get an FMA charger is via FMA. There are NO other distributors.

- David
write2dgray is offline Find More Posts by write2dgray
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Sneak Peek! 2, 1:8 scale scratchbuilts ooby Scale Boats 31 Jul 24, 2011 08:30 AM
Discussion Proposed schemes for 2010 season RAF BAe Hawk display-sneak peek! Matt Halton Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Dec 20, 2009 03:11 AM
Discussion Sneak Peek at the New Creation Museum Miami Mike Life, The Universe, and Politics 38 May 30, 2007 05:01 PM
Hey Mr. Lin, how about a sneak peek at the Hellcat? splatman GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 1 Jul 05, 2003 04:43 AM