HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: UK AP Meet Dates (Multiple Select)
June 19th-20th 5 33.33%
June 26th-27th 7 46.67%
July 3rd-4th 11 73.33%
July 10th-11th (SELECTED AS THE DATES) 11 73.33%
July 17th-18th 11 73.33%
July 24th-25th 8 53.33%
July 31st-1st 7 46.67%
Aug 7th-8th 5 33.33%
Aug 14th-15th 5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Yippee!
2010 UK AP Meeting - 10th and 11th July.

Hi all,

Time to kick off the 2010 UK AP meet threads!!!

I'm thinking we should start off with a weekend dates poll...

My view is that we keep the dates poll in the Scraps forum and come up with a date (and a contingency date) then open the invites to the wider audience... unless you all think we should post a dates poll on the main forum and invite everyone to contribute?

Thoughts?

I will add a Poll to the thread if we decide to keep it here.

Cheers all,

Terry.
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2010, 05:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
As nobody else appears to want to start the ball rolling I will although I am not a SCRAP!

I would have thought that that SCRAPs forum was a good place to start a date poll. You could PM all those who attended last year, or have expressed an interest this year, to let them know where the thread is. I am not trying to be elitist but in the main AP forum the thread can get very difficult to follow if too many people post to it.

Just my thoughts.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
I'm poised, tricopter and IR camera at the ready......................
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:22 PM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
It would be good to get things going Terry & Richard.

Traditionally the meeting proposal dates are between the last week of June and the first week in July.

It looks like Dorset or Sommerset could be possible locations. We would have to find somewhere to hold the meeting. Could those associated in these areas help finding venues, camp sites for us (Garry Mortimer, Ad ‘Lomcevac’ or anyone else)?

The possibility of having a central location with smaller groups set out for places of interest could be incorporated.

Last years meeting sticky posting is still active on the main AP forum site, we could use it to point others to this forums posting without running off the front page too soon.

Let’s hope we get the BBQ summer we were promised last year.

Looking forward to it already!!

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:40 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
I'm happy to help. What sort of location do we need?

Presumably camping is the norm? I guess camping at an interesting site is even better?

Ad
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:43 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Last year the "interesting" campsite had lots of AP taken of it... all provided to them FOC, so that could I guess be used as a selling point!!!

I'll add a Poll to this thread with a range of weekend options (around the June/July area) with a multiple selection option...

Cheers all,

T
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:00 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
Thanks Ad,

We are looking for a field to fly from collectively so we can all show off our AP/AV platforms!

Also a campsite willing to let us fly would be a bonus. Dangling the free aerial photography carrot normally does the trick!!

It would probably be good for us to have a flying location before planning any dates so folks can have an idea of the area they will have to travel to.

Watchya think guys?

Gray.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:05 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargenut View Post
Last year the "interesting" campsite had lots of AP taken of it... all provided to them FOC, so that could I guess be used as a selling point!!!

I'll add a Poll to this thread with a range of weekend options (around the June/July area) with a multiple selection option...

Cheers all,

T
Thanks Terry,
Your post must have come in as I was writing as I echoed what you said about the campsite.

G.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:07 AM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
984 Posts
Hi Chaps and greetings from Saudi Arabia its 26 degrees here .

I know of a few campsites as researched Dorset camping extensively last Summer and stayed in a few. The Lulworth Estate has got to be near the top of the list, I stayed in the Durdle Door Holiday park this has Direct access to Durdle Door beach, but it is a very popular site so we would need to book early, its also Handy for the Castle and grounds and Lulworth Cove.

Further along is Chesil Beach at Fleet (Fleet Lagoon) and Sea Barn Farm is a great campsite (although the woman who owns the site a pretty grumpy and fiercley maintains the family atmospere to the point (according to an employee I spoke to at the site) she evicted a troublesome family and tent with a digger . This has a field out the back that I flew my kite from there is also access down to the Chesil Beach. Being Coastal these are more windy than inland sites so the slower platforms like my Solution wouldn't be all that suitable an AP platform

I will dig out some more info when I get home.

Cheers
DaveB...>
GliderGuideMan is online now Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Jan 19, 2010, 02:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
If we go any further south we will be in France

Seriously for us Northerners, and there are some a lot further north than me, I would prefer it if it didn't take all day to get there. My son lives near Sherbourne and it can take about 5-6 hours to get to him from Manchester (don't mention the M5/M6 junction and Bristol). Once you get off the motorway things can get even slower.

Somewhere in Somerset would be nice but I will be there, wherever we end up, if at all possible.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:15 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Please contribute to the Locations map

I've been a bit busy with Google Maps API and PHP and (based on an MK location map I had already seen), I have put together a map for us all to log our locations.

http://www.terrysphotos.co.uk/RCGroups/APMeet.php

When entering a new location leave the selection box to "participant" to mark a home location.

If you would like to mark a possible venue select "2010 Camp Location".

If we all fill in our details it will give a better idea of where we all have to travel from...

I might even look to add a radius circle around each persons marker for a range of 100 miles or so...

Anyway... work in progress... start adding your locations in using the "SIGNUP your location HERE" link under the names list.

Oh yes and clicking on a marker will show its details (name, lat, lon, etc.).

Cheers,

Terry.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hornchurch, Essex, UK
Joined Jul 2006
321 Posts
great idea Terry, have added my location.

looking forward to the meeting

Pete
hartrockets is offline Find More Posts by hartrockets
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:30 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Hi Pete!!!

First contributor... cool... maybe I should have put a prize up for that!!!

How did you find the map to use? was it pretty self explanitory?

I have just had a thought that I will order the "Participants" above the "Locations" on the List on the left hand side... and probably put a divider between them!!!

Cheers and looking forward to seeing you at the meet (or sooner maybe if we can arrange a weekend near the London area!!!)

T
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:19 AM
Hornchurch, Essex, UK
Joined Jul 2006
321 Posts
HI Terry,

found the map very easy to use, and I think its a great idea as my geography is bad so its good to quickly see where people and the events are

Pete
hartrockets is offline Find More Posts by hartrockets
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:40 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
984 Posts
Nice one mate I have added my location and the locatin of the Durdle Door campsite
GliderGuideMan is online now Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Closed Thread