HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:46 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,739 Posts
Spindle speed control is highly overrated. I went out of my way to find a way to do it and I never use the function.

It would be nice/more necessary if you were using automated tool changers but most hobby machines don't have the capability.

BTW... looking good Thermal Thief.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:35 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,387 Posts
One of my mills is setup for spindle speed control. I do like it very much. Nice to have everything turn off when the project is done. Its rpm control is also nice, since I use a large range of cutter sizes.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:12 AM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
OK finally I have started

Well guys I finally started after extensive research and trying to figure out which way I was going to go it all ends up being what sort of job I intend on making as in material size.

Spoke the the guys in the factory that maintain some seriously big machines, and by the way they use 20mm linear rails that hold up so much weight, they said basically I could have selected 12mm all round and unsupported (except the ends) and that would have been fine.

Working in a manufacturing company with some high tech equipment has it's benefits even though I am in IT....

Here are the items I have already ordered

-----------------------------
The fully supported rails and blocks screws etc

-2pcs SBR12-300mm rails
-4pcs SBR12UU bearing blocks

-2pcs SBR16-500mm rails
-4pcs SBR16UU bearing blocks

-2pcs SBR20-800mm rails
-4pcs SBR20UU bearing blocks

-1pcs Ballscrews RM1605-350mm-C7
-1pcs Ballscrews RM1605-550mm-C7
-1pcs Ballscrews RM1605-850mm-C7
(with nuts and end-machined)

-3sets BK/BF12

-3pcs 10mm*6.35mm flexible couplings

The Controller Board Steppers and Power Supply

-1pcs 3 Axis TB6560 Stepper Driver

-3pcs NEMA23 18.9kgf.cm Stepper Motor

-1pcs 350w 24V Power Supply

Still to order is the spindle motor and inverter (or) power supply ESC, controller and motor with 8mm chuck shank etc....

Now I need to ask, to cut carbon fiber what are the best bits (value for dollar) that you guys recommend? and does ER16 make so much of a difference to ER11.

One other thing is all the bits I have seen are 3.17mm so does that mean I need 4mm collet for it or 3mm

With carbon fiber, can some of you show me images of how you submerge it in a bath and clamp the job down, I dont want to cut it dry because my workshop has a lot of electronic equipment and I dont want carbon fiber dust settling all over that, heck even with good extraction vacuums etc that dust gets everywhere according to so many I have asked.

Elias
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:48 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi Elias

Im glad you decided to build a CNC Router. You will not regret it...

Regarding the ER11 vs. ER16 I would personally have prefered mine a ER16. The biggest bit the ER11 will handle is 7mm and if you want to do some roughing in foam and wood, a big router bit is nice to have. But Im not sure you can find an ER16 with a 8mm shank, so you might want to get a bigger motor with a 10mm shaft...

I bought a set of collets and I use 3mm and 3,17mm bits in the 3mm one.

Have fun with the build and feel free to post some progress shots in this thread.

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:38 PM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelghammer View Post
Hi Elias

Im glad you decided to build a CNC Router. You will not regret it...

Regarding the ER11 vs. ER16 I would personally have prefered mine a ER16. The biggest bit the ER11 will handle is 7mm and if you want to do some roughing in foam and wood, a big router bit is nice to have. But Im not sure you can find an ER16 with a 8mm shank, so you might want to get a bigger motor with a 10mm shaft...

I bought a set of collets and I use 3mm and 3,17mm bits in the 3mm one.

Have fun with the build and feel free to post some progress shots in this thread.

- Michael Hammer
I found an ER16 with 8mm shank some time ago and I will be buying one of those....

more to come soon
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:46 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Well I took the step

I purchased a Chinese Spindle, 2.2kW and 2.2K Inverter Water cooled.

So now to build it (well when the parts come in)

oh and I need to get a ER20 COLLET SET (13 PCS) Chinese spindle motor is ER20

now to find the following

1) ER20 COLLET SET (13 PCS) 1mm - 13mm I think from memory
2) ER20 WRENCH's
3) Water Pump and working out how many liters per minute I need some say 3 some say 7 confused about that at this point...
4) bits, I want to cut alloy, carbon fiber, perspex/acrylic, some plastics etc. Different bits I would presume is what I need, but essentially I want to cut carbon fiber and PCB's (copper sheeted fiberglass)
5) a new dress for the wife so she doesnt complain about my buying

Now I know most use MACH3 for the controlling, but what software do most use to draw what they want?

Elias
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:32 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,387 Posts
I have had good results with these in carbon. He also has other sizes. I also like to use larger bits since they are harder to break, if I have room in the design (usually around .060 inch). http://cgi.ebay.com/1-00mm-0394-DIAM...item588c60e126
I have a picture of my carbon cutting tray in my Light Machines mill thread.
The acrylic cuts fairly decent with regular endmills designed for aluminum. If just drilling holes its fairly easy to modify a drill bit for acrylic (cut to a more pointed angle, and flaten the cutting edge). There are also end mills designed specific for plastics.
The bits I linked above work fairly decent on PCB's. Only good for wider traces, or if you need to mill into the fiberglass. A V-bit is what most use for finer traces. Might need a set of small endmills, or drill bits for the holes.
I use Bobcad V23 for my cad/cam. It is lacking in some features, but fairly good for the price. Don't pay full list price, they'll offer it for less. Learning curve is fairly steep if you haven't used cad/cam. I kind of hate to mention them, since I don't like the company. They call all the time, and sell like "used car sales people". They charge $100 to transfer the license to someone else. If the computer's hard drive fails, you might have lost the key (full price to replace it). I keep an imaged hard drive just incase.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 07:37 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
I have had good results with these in carbon. He also has other sizes. I also like to use larger bits since they are harder to break, if I have room in the design (usually around .060 inch). http://cgi.ebay.com/1-00mm-0394-DIAM...item588c60e126
I have a picture of my carbon cutting tray in my Light Machines mill thread.
The acrylic cuts fairly decent with regular endmills designed for aluminum. If just drilling holes its fairly easy to modify a drill bit for acrylic (cut to a more pointed angle, and flaten the cutting edge). There are also end mills designed specific for plastics.
The bits I linked above work fairly decent on PCB's. Only good for wider traces, or if you need to mill into the fiberglass. A V-bit is what most use for finer traces. Might need a set of small endmills, or drill bits for the holes.
I use Bobcad V23 for my cad/cam. It is lacking in some features, but fairly good for the price. Don't pay full list price, they'll offer it for less. Learning curve is fairly steep if you haven't used cad/cam. I kind of hate to mention them, since I don't like the company. They call all the time, and sell like "used car sales people". They charge $100 to transfer the license to someone else. If the computer's hard drive fails, you might have lost the key (full price to replace it). I keep an imaged hard drive just incase.
thanks for the info I really appreciate! and good to know about the software, I searched for the thread you mentioned above but I cant find it, could you link it please
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:02 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,387 Posts
whole thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378684
carbon cutting water tray
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3757048
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:14 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Hi Rob,
Awesome carbon fiber cutting tank. Do you just use water and a little dishwashing liquid in yours too.
How do you find the Wolfgang engineering spindle? Does it do everything you want it too?
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:13 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,387 Posts
Yea, I copied your tank.
I use a very small amount of dishwash soap, and water.
I dump the water in a bucket to evaporate, and save the carbon residue for mold making. Just have to figure out how to wash the soap out of the carbon dust.
The Wolfgang spindle works fine for me. I have some video, just need time to upload it.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Stepper Motors and Controller - PWR

Well guys the stepper motors arriver along with the controller board and the power supply.

I hooked it all up, power it up, configured it, and ran my first test of the stepper motors, the first initial fire up of the steppers made me jump out of my seat.

anyhow to cut a long story really short I loaded up a file and did the test, works perfectly.....

now for the rest of the stuff to come in

Elias
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:46 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Elias.

For the CAD part, basically any program that can handle vector graphics and export a common format like DXF will do.

I have used the Emachineshop free drawing program for years and it pretty easy to use for basic profiling stuff. Otherwise you can use illustrator, AutoCad, SolidWorks, Google Sketchup (pro) - of course depending on your wallet and needs! And I am sure you can find something for Linux that is completely free and working well!

For toolpaths generation, Vcarve Pro from Vectric is "reasonably" priced, powerful and above all: Easy to use. I have fiddled with MasterCAM and RhinoCAM which are very powerful solutions, but these days I only use Vcarve because it makes my life so much easier! Vcarve also includes some handy tools for vector editing and selection of curves that makes it a breeze to work compared to RhinoCam and MasterCAM (both are seriously expensive, also)

Mach3 is workign well. But it costs money. The free alternative is EMC2 for Linux, which is reported to work well.

I cut lots of G10 on my mill. If you are in Europe you can get the diamond burrs from places like www.sorotec.de @ 2.9E a piece. Buy a bunch, cuz you will snap them regularly!

When working the smaller endmills (1mm) in CF or G10 good fixturing of the parts become vital. Otherwise cutout parts can lift and become wedged between endmill and cutout - breaking the bit! When you go larger than 1.5mm this does not happen as often!

I glue the plates to a piece of MDF with spray-glue. And then I cut through the material about 0.2 mm. I stack up to 3mm thick layers of 1 or 1.5 mm plates.

Alternatively you can look for a downcut spiral endmill as that will press the material down towards the table instead of lifting it. But you have to order at least 100 to get them in downcut, because its not very common - at least for the diamond burrs...

Dust control is vital for your health. My solution is a industrial vacuum cleaner and a very tight dustshoe with brushes around the endmill. The vacuum sends the outgoing air out of the house. (Vacuum cleaner is built into a box and is connected to a vent that goes outside)

Jussi
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:20 AM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,317 Posts
Quote:
I glue the plates to a piece of MDF with spray-glue.
I have used spray glue, but double sided masking tape is REALLY nice to work with for most thin materials like G10. Much less messier.
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,756 Posts
noob entering the cnc world :D

Hi Michael,

I'm thinking in building your CNC design, first of all thank you for sharing it with us.

I want to use the file you provided for the parts and have them cut by a a company who does so here in Belgium.

I'm I allowed to do so ?

If yes, do I need to give them any other information or is the dxf file all they need (I noted that there are no cotes in the file for the parts, I know I am a noob ) to cut them ?

Thank you for your time.

Paulo.
blackmoon is offline Find More Posts by blackmoon