SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:48 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vim.au View Post
It looks like the Turnigy 50-xx line has been discontinued at HK.
Does anyone know of a similarly priced alternative?
I have not finished building my machine so couldn't actually test this set up, but I bought this motor

http://leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224316

and it works on another set up with belt & pulley pulling the spindle. It has 8mm shaft.

-Thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
QLD, Australia.
Joined Aug 2002
47 Posts
Thank you Thanh.
That motor looks to be fairly common and available. The bearings will be reasonably easy to replace as well, which is nice.
vim.au is offline Find More Posts by vim.au
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
I have a mill im converting to CNC. Its a smaller benchtop ive owned for some years now.
I am changing my motor on my mill again. I will be using a Heli RC motor .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMP-Outrunne...ht_3578wt_1074

The link to the motor I bought.
Im unsure what as to were I really need to go from here. I know I need a ESC BEC Servo tester and power supply. Ive been doing some reading.
What size power supply do I get?
what size esc do I get?
Now this is ovboisly a cheap china motor . Should i open it up and upgrade anything like bearing , rewing the motor beter for my aplication maybe use better wire? Upgrade the madnets in it.
Once I install the motor I would like to be done.
I dont need the best of the best.
Thanks for the help
Mrich0908 is offline Find More Posts by Mrich0908
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
Austin,TX
Joined Jul 2009
240 Posts
I spent hours trying to determine the best cable for wiring up stepper motors. Surprisingly, I could not find much information about this subject. I liked the trailer wiring cable idea, but really wanted something that was shielded, because I had some concern with electrical noise and stepper drivers, from something I read somewhere. I finally decided to try this:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...x?SKU=70140400
http://www.alphawire.com/en/products...spx?device=pdf

Seems to work good so far!

Good Luck with your DIY CNC builds!
billcat is offline Find More Posts by billcat
Last edited by billcat; Feb 22, 2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: removed miscategorized portion
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:43 PM
Metal Master
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Feb 2012
14 Posts
I have a full CNC shop to play with but this would be ideal for home. This is the way to go i feel.
Hangman15 is offline Find More Posts by Hangman15
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Hi Michael,

Im very impressed by your machine. Very nice done!
Im considering to buld my own CNC using your plans. However, my problem is to find good solution for the base of my machine. Your solution, using concrete would be to heavy for me and Im searching a "wooden" solution. Maybe you have thought about that issue too while planing your machine and can give me some tips.

Best regards
legout
legout is offline Find More Posts by legout
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:36 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Thanks legout

A lot of DIY CNC Routers use a kind matrix built-up base like this.
If you could find a way to get the parts cut on a CNC, the base would end up very torsion resistant and precise.

Good luck with your CNC and feel free to post your progress in this thread.

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Hi Michael,

I do not this Torsion boxes. As I dont know where to get my parts on a CNC this solution wont work.
Maybe Ill simply use a kitchen worktop or a 21 or 24 mm plywood as the base like here (http://www.cncecke.de/forum/attachme...0&d=1336814399). This machine is very similar to urs, except the base.

Do you think this is precise and strong enough?

legout
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:28 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi

I cant see the german CNC site because Im not registered.

Maybe you could use a door? If you buy a new door (for indoor use) with a smooth surface you could cut it to the right size and frame it with plywood. Those doors are made like a lamination of two wood sides and a wooden matrix in the middle. I bet its pretty straight and stiff. You could even make a base from two or three layers.

The base of your machine is the foundation for the whole machine. If its no good the rest of the machine wont be any good either.

Michael Hammer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Here you can see the base made from 27 mm plywood https://www.dropbox.com/s/boz66uucxd8m1as/Foto1.jpg

A door would be interesting. However, buying a new one wont be cheap. Maybe I can find an old door somewhere.

Otherwise I will use some layers of plywood with an additional frame for the base.
Thanks so far.

legout
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
You should be able to find a door in Bauhaus for less than 50 Euro...

The base in the photos would work, but far from ideal... I would make it more stiff to prevent warping.

- Michael Hammer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Ok. Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
149 Posts
Hey,
i use a 50-45 motor. how much AMPs do i need for my power supply? is 24V 10A enough?

Alex
edge0xc is offline Find More Posts by edge0xc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Hello All,

My first post to say thank you and ask a question....

Many, many thanks for sharing this great spindle design very cool - I am starting to gear up to make one for my first CNC machine based on the eShapeOko :-)

My question is very simple which shows I'm a real newcomer here.... My CNC is going to be running 4 x NEMA17 steppers from a buildlog.net stepper shield and the spindle will be as inspired by this forum using a C5045 KV890 motor with an 8mm ER11 spindle. It looks like a 25V 20A power supply is good for the Spindle but not sure if I can/should run the NEMA motors off the same power supply or allow for a second 24V supply at say 5A?

Any thoughts appreciated :-) Thanks.
Printbot is offline Find More Posts by Printbot
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
15 Posts
Hi Again,

Sorry, another question :-)

I am just looking at purchasing the twin bearings that sit between the spindle chuck and aluminium block - looks like these need to be a pair of angular contact bearings with a/some pre-load washers? I think the top bearing can be a straight forward bearing to centre the spindle at the top of the aluminium housing?

I'm using an ER11 spindle with an 8mm shaft - does anyone have any advice on what to buy, how to install and where to buy the parts.... UK based or beyond?

Many thanks for any pointers - much appreciated.
Printbot is offline Find More Posts by Printbot