HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2011, 01:38 AM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Elias.

For the CAD part, basically any program that can handle vector graphics and export a common format like DXF will do.

I have used the Emachineshop free drawing program for years and it pretty easy to use for basic profiling stuff. Otherwise you can use illustrator, AutoCad, SolidWorks, Google Sketchup (pro) - of course depending on your wallet and needs! And I am sure you can find something for Linux that is completely free and working well!

For toolpaths generation, Vcarve Pro from Vectric is "reasonably" priced, powerful and above all: Easy to use. I have fiddled with MasterCAM and RhinoCAM which are very powerful solutions, but these days I only use Vcarve because it makes my life so much easier! Vcarve also includes some handy tools for vector editing and selection of curves that makes it a breeze to work compared to RhinoCam and MasterCAM (both are seriously expensive, also)

Mach3 is workign well. But it costs money. The free alternative is EMC2 for Linux, which is reported to work well.

I cut lots of G10 on my mill. If you are in Europe you can get the diamond burrs from places like www.sorotec.de @ 2.9E a piece. Buy a bunch, cuz you will snap them regularly!

When working the smaller endmills (1mm) in CF or G10 good fixturing of the parts become vital. Otherwise cutout parts can lift and become wedged between endmill and cutout - breaking the bit! When you go larger than 1.5mm this does not happen as often!

I glue the plates to a piece of MDF with spray-glue. And then I cut through the material about 0.2 mm. I stack up to 3mm thick layers of 1 or 1.5 mm plates.

Alternatively you can look for a downcut spiral endmill as that will press the material down towards the table instead of lifting it. But you have to order at least 100 to get them in downcut, because its not very common - at least for the diamond burrs...

Dust control is vital for your health. My solution is a industrial vacuum cleaner and a very tight dustshoe with brushes around the endmill. The vacuum sends the outgoing air out of the house. (Vacuum cleaner is built into a box and is connected to a vent that goes outside)

Jussi

thats a huge amount of useful information for me, thank you so much, at my office the engineering team have told me I can use solidworks on my laptop as long as the one at the office is not being used at the same time and considering I wont be using it during the day everything should be fine.

I dont mind having to pay for an application if it does the job I need.

I was talking to a few friends who spoke about submerging the entire job when doing carbon fiber, so I will go down that path and simply pour the water out aster it gets too dirty.

once again thank you

Elias
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 02:14 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Australia, NSW, Blacktown
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes View Post
thats a huge amount of useful information for me, thank you so much, at my office the engineering team have told me I can use solidworks on my laptop as long as the one at the office is not being used at the same time and considering I wont be using it during the day everything should be fine.

I dont mind having to pay for an application if it does the job I need.

I was talking to a few friends who spoke about submerging the entire job when doing carbon fiber, so I will go down that path and simply pour the water out aster it gets too dirty.

once again thank you

Elias

Hi Elias,
I have been wondering if the dirty carbon fiber liquid could be filtered using a coffee filter, Then rinse the residue clean and as Rob said. Use the dust as a filler. My guess is that re-using the dust would be less to no harm to the environment. I have been simply throwing the dirty water out for the past couple of years,but think I can do better with it.
Regards Jason
jasonjetski is offline Find More Posts by jasonjetski
Old Apr 22, 2011, 03:14 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,309 Posts
Some good ideas again.
I think I will try a coffee filter. Evaporation on its own takes along time. Been thinking of making a circulation tank, to feed in clear water so I can see what its cutting better. Was thinking of making it like my bandsaws oil tank. A filter on top, feeding into a settlement area, then a tank to the side with the pump feed.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:23 AM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Some good ideas again.
I think I will try a coffee filter. Evaporation on its own takes along time. Been thinking of making a circulation tank, to feed in clear water so I can see what its cutting better. Was thinking of making it like my bandsaws oil tank. A filter on top, feeding into a settlement area, then a tank to the side with the pump feed.
It would be a lot nicer to be able to see the carbon fiber while it cuts. My Z axis has a little backlash in the delrin nut now and I sometimes don't get the cut all the way through the cf sheet.If the water was clear,it would be much easier. One day I will do some experimenting.
Regards Jason
Old Apr 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjetski View Post
Hi Elias,
I have been wondering if the dirty carbon fiber liquid could be filtered using a coffee filter, Then rinse the residue clean and as Rob said. Use the dust as a filler. My guess is that re-using the dust would be less to no harm to the environment. I have been simply throwing the dirty water out for the past couple of years,but think I can do better with it.
Regards Jason
I had a thought, I wonder if a fish tank filter would give the function of keeping the water clean and filtering out the carbon as it cuts... I would say it would have to be one heck of a good fish tank filter but maybe that would do the trick?
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:58 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatAtJoes View Post
I had a thought, I wonder if a fish tank filter would give the function of keeping the water clean and filtering out the carbon as it cuts... I would say it would have to be one heck of a good fish tank filter but maybe that would do the trick?
Maybe just a small pond pump would be required and use area instead of pressure for the filtration and then just use gravity to provide the pressure for filtration. Some of the big reach stacker container forklifts I have worked on use a toilet roll form of filter. It looks exactly like a full toilet paper roll and they use it just as an extra kidney system to block out unwanted bits in the hydraulics.
Simple everyday products would be great to use such as testing using paper towels layed inside a funnel to see results,Or maybe a dustmask inside a funnel.
Iam tempted to run off to Bunnings (Hardware) right now and wave the credit card around.
Regards Jason
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:07 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,309 Posts
I tested the coffee filter. The water out of it was clear of the carbon. It was a slow drip, like a coffee maker. Looks like it would be fairly easy to get the carbon back off the filter. I figure it would take at least 4 filters, to have enough clear water, to keep up with my mills cutting. I could have a filter overflow bypass, to keep up with the pump, or store the water to filter later.

I have thought about mounting leds in the bottom of the tray, to be able to see if I'm cutting all the way through the carbon. I have used a flashlight from the sides. That does ok near the edge, but is a little hard to get enough light out in the center.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:58 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2 Posts
RC Brushless motor controller for Mach3 / EMC2

We used a standard RC brushless motor and a belt drive system to create a high speed spindle on our micro milling machine. It's great when you have all of the parts lying around anyway due to your "other" hobbies. Soon after the conversion we were looking for a way to control the spindle from Mach3 or EMC2 and after looking around for some time we didn't find anything that fit the bill. Long story short, we decided to build our own controller which would allow a standard RC brushless motor to be controlled from Mach3 and EMC2. We are now offering them for sale on our website at www.logicnc.com if anyone else is going the same route.
LOGICNC.COM is offline Find More Posts by LOGICNC.COM
Old Aug 04, 2011, 06:04 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Which program can I use to measure the distances of the various parts in the DIY CNC Router from Michael Hammer (Hammer Models DIY CNC Router parts.zip) ?? Maybe there is a program that can show me the sizes of the parts from the DXF-file? Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Christian
lodberg is offline Find More Posts by lodberg
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:59 PM
Joined Jul 2006
116 Posts
For the CAD part have you thought about using google sketchup. There is a plug in from the phlatprinter guys that allows the creation of an offset tool path (i.e. allows for tool width) with multi-pass etc in G code (i.e the CAM function). It's for free so then with EMC2 you can cut the part....all with free software.
jregholdsworth is online now Find More Posts by jregholdsworth
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:26 PM
Micro-Heli-Concepts
Joined Dec 2006
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGICNC.COM View Post
We used a standard RC brushless motor and a belt drive system to create a high speed spindle on our micro milling machine. It's great when you have all of the parts lying around anyway due to your "other" hobbies. Soon after the conversion we were looking for a way to control the spindle from Mach3 or EMC2 and after looking around for some time we didn't find anything that fit the bill. Long story short, we decided to build our own controller which would allow a standard RC brushless motor to be controlled from Mach3 and EMC2. We are now offering them for sale on our website at www.logicnc.com if anyone else is going the same route.
Hi Guys,
Although I have removed the brushless motor from my mill. Iam really curious about this controller plug adaptor (Not sure what to call it)
Has anybody had a look at it?
Has anybody got any good or bad honest feedback?
No?
Ok,I will place an order for one now and let you all know once I give it a whirl.
It only costs $35.00 + $10.00 So,If it works out well,It will be very usefull.
Iam guessing there would be other uses for it too Such as having a brushless motor controlled by Mach3 for whatever purpose.
Regards Jason
Old Aug 06, 2011, 10:36 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Since the logicnc is supposed to control an rc esc, I suppose another use of it would be to control a rc servo. For example, the eggbot uses 2 steppers and 1 rc servo.
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:56 AM
Denmark
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
Hi

I just wanted to show a couple of Non-Flying projects that I did on the CNC Router.

For my 2 year old son Ive made a steering wheel and pedals. The base and pedals were for the most part cut from MDF. All text and drawings were engraved. The steering wheel rim and the middle part were milled from solid mahogany. The center cover has his initials engraved into it (should impress the two years old girls ).

For my 8 year old daughter Ive made a Nintendo DSi Docking Station. She has all her music on the DSi but the sound from the built in speakers is very weak. So the Docking Station sports a pair of active speakers. All parts were cut from MDF except the stands at the back which were cut from birch plywood.

All milling was done with the little brushless spindle using 4, 6 and 12mm end mills.

- Michael Hammer
michaelghammer is offline Find More Posts by michaelghammer
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:45 AM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,305 Posts
Wow, very nice work!
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:16 AM
Italia, Lazio, Roma
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Ciao volevo mostrare la mia applicazione con motore 5055-600 e portapinze ER11 con albero 8mm. comprato da http://stores.ebay.it/CTC-Tools?_rdc=1
Claudio.
CAP257RM is offline Find More Posts by CAP257RM