HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:35 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,900 Posts
Trader Rating: 189
Alert
>>> PayPal 'gift' payment – a new tool for scammers…BEWARE!

To all traders on RCGroups:

There is a new technique for scamming that all traders should be aware of when making a payment through PayPal for an item bought online. A relatively new feature on PayPal’s website is the ability to send a fee-free “gift” or "personal" payment. Such a payment is solely for the purpose of sending a cash gift -– not for the payment of goods bought/sold on the internet.

You may be saying, “that’s great! – the seller will be happy that he/she isn’t going to be docked a fee for our transaction!” But, what is not readily explained is: this “gift” payment option comes with ZERO buyer protection – meaning, you cannot dispute a transaction if you receive a faulty item or do not receive your item at all. Many online scammers are requesting payment in this way so that the buyer cannot file a PayPal claim – if a seller requests that you pay via this method for a substantial item, please be very cautious as the item could be defective or not exist!

>>> How to avoid selecting the "gift" payment option:

This feature is somewhat disguised when making a payment on PayPal’s website. After selecting the “send money” tab in your PayPal account, type in the amount you want to send. To maintain your buyer protection and charge the seller a fee, keep the "payment reason" tab on "purchase" and select an option such as "goods." To send money as a "gift payment" or (personal payment), select the tab "personal" and select an option such as "other" or "payment powed" -- toggling back to the "purchase" tab will return to the "normal" (fee included) payment method.

Garret H

- January, 2010
Garret H is offline Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Garret H; Feb 07, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:49 AM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
Trader Rating: 233
Deja Vu
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:21 AM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,859 Posts
Trader Rating: 382
Great info,

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jcstalls; Jan 15, 2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:27 AM
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
Jared that's a link. Put down the drinky drink lol.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,900 Posts
Sorry, Ghost -- didn't mean to copy your thread (I didn't know).

This one is going to be made into a sticky for the trader talk section.

I have seen too much of this lately and thought it would be good to have a warning in a noticeable place!

Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Dare I say it?
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
Too much power = Just enough
East Liverpool, Ohio The armpit of America
Joined Apr 2007
517 Posts
Trader Rating: 117
First is knowing who you are dealing with if you choose to use this option.If the buyer and seller have good ratings,and it's alright for both parties,do it.As I have several times,and have had no problems.It's good to save money when possible,so you can put it towards another item you need,(which is always for me).

Oh,and I agree with garrett about the "gift" option,either use "other" as garrett suggests,or "money owed".
misplacedtexan is offline Find More Posts by misplacedtexan
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Lord Loveaduck!

LORD LOVE A DUCK [1966 MOVIE CLIP] (3 min 2 sec)
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Last edited by angelfood; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:04 AM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,900 Posts
As I said, guys -- this is just a warning sticky...Mike K. is going to update it shortly. It is simply meant for those who do not know about the "gift" payment option and do not know it is selected by default. Hopefully, (like the other "warning" stickies) it will help with scamming issues (I have seen cases of this happen this very week, and I have had people send money to me by way of a "gift" payment and not even know anything about the option).

Garret
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:10 AM
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
No problem Garret. I guess I've just become one of those old forum regulars that gets crabby & thinks that people should search before asking questions or posting.

BTW, I request that buyers don't use the gift option simply because I include the fees in my price or at least take into account & if they send it that way there's no friggin address to use click & ship. So then I have to have them send me a penny payment to generate the label. I have requested the gift once from a buyer but that's because he talked me down so low & that was the only way I wouldn't take such a big loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret H View Post
Hopefully, (like the other "warning" stickies) it will help with scamming issues
I doubt it. Most people don't ever bother to read them. Just look at the number of threads every week asking how to do feedback

Not much different than the countless threads started that have NOTHING to do with trading on here. I've given up reporting them. Half the time nothing gets done about them.
Closed Thread