HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:45 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Discussion
Yet another FPV Stryker (work in progress)

After seeing bracky72's FPV Stryker I decided to give it a try

So far I'm done reinforcing the fuse and wings with 3mm carbon fiber rods. I must say I'm quite impressed with the rigidity added by the rods.

I decided also to cover the hole thing with some ''fiber tape'' (sorry don't know how to call this in English) The tape does slightly increase the weight but also increase the rigidity of the plane. I can hold the plane by the end of the wing and moving it up and down I can barely feel some flexing.

For the look it started with a picture I took of the plane and just edit with paint

Here's the ''almost final'' result for the look. Instead of using the stock elevons I made custom ones with 1/4'' thick balsa and covered them with the same tape used on the fuse:

I will be using:

Motor is a Turnigy 2836-2350kv outrunner
ESC will be either Eflite 40A or Turnigy Plush 40A (have both collecting dust )
Video Tx is ImmersionRC 500mw 2.4Ghz
Video Rx is ImmersionRC Duo2400 divercity
OSD: EzOSD or SimpleOSD XL (have both just don't know which one will fit)
Cam: KeithLuneau's find ebay cam with pan.
Hitech servos (which ever I have around that fits there)

This is it for now, I'll post some update as I continue the build.
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Last edited by saucisse; Jan 14, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I hope you don't have a problem with all the carbon Fiber onboard, it can cause RF issues, I was actually thinking of removing the stock CF. I have an FPV Stryker and I am building another one, with a RVOSD and I am not even painting it to save weight. I am very interested in how your comes out, keep us posted.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Challenging Convention
UK
Joined Jul 2006
717 Posts
Hmm, as long as the GPS sensor, VTX Antenna and RC RX are all mounted "outboard" (not under) the Fibre tape you won't have any issues, but like Tarro says, i think you've added a reasonable amount of weight there, even if it does look REALLY COOL!!

It's always the tradeoff... you can do loads of things to make it more rigid / survive crashes better etc but they all add weight, and paradoxically, adding weight can actually increase the damage done in the event of a crash (inertia, more stored energy in the airframe etc etc)...

Back in the day, when i used to build & fly planes competitivly, i've built planes with hardly any glue to save weight, and use a special technique of pro-film covering to literally "hold it all together" (i'm talking built up balsa kits, not the RTF Foamies you get nowadays).. You'de be amazed at how little strength you need to have a safe & high performance airframe..

In regard to your strength test with holding the wing etc, you'll probably find that without the tape it would show just as little flex, since those CF rods are more than enough, and the weight of the tape accross the entire planes surface would not be cancelled out byt the strength gained in return..

But still, does look nice... I would have done it in pro-film covering or airbrush though - same coolness, half the weight, and just as much strength.

Cheers

Andy
Andology is offline Find More Posts by Andology
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:40 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
I will see how this thing handles in the air and since I already have a spare fuse (they are like under $20) I won't even bother ripping the tape off this one if I want a lighter frame.

I'm not looking for the lightest and most efficient model here since this is my 3rd FPV plane...this one will be for just ''fooling around'' fast at my favorite flying spot.

Thanks for the comments !
Old Jan 15, 2010, 06:57 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
For max strength the tape should be going across the wing. Looks good.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:35 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
where do you get a stryker airframe for $20?
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:57 AM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1267
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:15 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
where do you get a stryker airframe for $20?
Hobbytown USA and better hobby shops that carry Horizon products usually stock not only the basic fuse ,but also most eveything else to complete the plane ,...hatch covers /fins /ailerons/motor mount etc...my stryker is 5th generation fuse only ...everything else recycled or custom ..
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:41 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Not fair! There's no competition over here in France and everything costs at least twice as much as it should do.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:01 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Lovegroove
You can get spares from here http://www.squadronleader.co.uk/cate..._Spares,b.html, quite cheap as well and I'm sure they'll ship to France

Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:49 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Im curious to what the differences between the B C and regular stryker are?

This motor mount http://h1073834.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=PKZ1234, is this an older style? Isnt there a better option available? Are the stock elevons for the stryker ok or is it better to make your own?
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:38 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
The C version comes with a Brushless motor and ESC and is made from 1 piece of foam. The older ones where 3 pieces glued togather and I believe they were made of a different foam. I had an A version many years ago that warped in the heat of my car so bad I had to get rid of it. I don't think the new foam will do that as easy.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:47 PM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Im curious to what the differences between the B C and regular stryker are?

This motor mount http://h1073834.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...p?prod=PKZ1234, is this an older style? Isnt there a better option available? Are the stock elevons for the stryker ok or is it better to make your own?
Yes this motor mount is the old style. This is the new one http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4234

As for the stock elevons, I don't know if it's better to make your or not. I did build my Stryker from new spare parts and the elevons were back ordered. This plane is so cheap to build when you already have the motor/esc and servos
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Finally had some time this morning to work on my Stryker. I decided to go with my CCD killer cam (using 2.8mm lens) with pan/tilt since I'll be using my Sony cam for another project.

I was just doing some fitment tests so I did not finished the wire's rooting yet. Pan/tilt will be controlled by the sides sliders on my 9CAP.

Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:45 AM
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Finally the motor mount and motor are installed so I was able to do some testing... I first started with the E-Flite 30Amp Pro:

Lipo: 3s1 20c 2200mah Zippy
Prop: 6x4
Amps: 33.19
Watts: 346.8

I then switch to the Turnigy Plush 40Amps using the same prop and lipo:
Amps: 34.05
Watts: 357.8

I had to trim inside of the fuse to fit the Zippy pack. There is plenty space left for the OSD. I'll will probably installed the SimpleOSD XL since it is quite small and light.

Next step will be the installing the servos and rods, the OSD and find a good location for the ImmersionRC 500mw Tx and lipo for video gear.