Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:40 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King, lousy customer service

I just want to warn every one about Hobby King aka Hobby City and United Hobbies and their lousy customer service. I recently bought a bl motor from them and when it arrived the motor was lose in the box along with the rest of the parts I bought. It was wrapped is some thin foam and not in a box or bag of it's own and there was no mounting hardware or prop adapter. I sent an email right away to HK to let them know and shortly after I got an automated reply with a ticket number. I have sent an email everyday and still no one has replied to me and it's been a week now. What really gripes me is I even paid for express shipping because I need it fast so I got the motor fast alright but I can't mount it so it's worthless! I've spend a lot of money with them in the last 2 years and to treat their customers so crappy is unacceptable. They have great prices but they do not take care of their customers at all so beware buying from them. Oh and there phone is a joke, no matter when I call they never answer and their on line support is even worse, the counter that tells you how many are ahead of you goes up instead of down!
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,207 Posts
Also water is wet, the sky is blue(Unless it's cloudy) and fire hurts.

Is the motor supposed to come with mounting hardware? Some don't.
Ira NZ is offline Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:45 PM
Prop Buster Extraordinaire
Seattle
Joined Aug 2009
1,201 Posts
you want good customer service? use a company that is known for it. HK's low prices come with lousy service and sometimes shoddy quality.
philba is offline Find More Posts by philba
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:02 PM
wind sucks
Sarasota, FL
Joined Sep 2009
393 Posts
i've not had a problem with HK's stuff. I know what to expect because I know what I'm paying.
chimmike is offline Find More Posts by chimmike
Old Jan 14, 2010, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I've generally gotten good parts and quick delivery from HC. But I have a motor that I expect them to replace under RMA -- we'll see how that goes. The bad motor was mailed back to HK on 12/10, not quite a month ago.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:38 PM
ltx
Tech Monkey
BC, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philba View Post
you want good customer service? use a company that is known for it. HK's low prices come with lousy service and sometimes shoddy quality.
For future reference, what's a good place to buy from (good prices and service)?
ltx is offline Find More Posts by ltx
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:05 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Itx, you're probably going to get lots of suggestions about that, because there are LOTS of good suppliers out there, who bend over backwards to satisfy customers--but charge a fair price that enables them to pay decent American/Canadian wages, pay their American/Canadian taxes, and keep their doors open, and maybe even eek out a profit sometimes. Besides my two local hobby shops, which I always go to first, I've had repeated very good experiences with: A Main Hobbies, All e RC, YRBuy. Depends on what you're buying.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Jan 15, 2010, 07:27 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,855 Posts
No offence, but I love the way people get one bad part in thousands of dollars and heaps of orders and it's straight to the forum and straight for the throat.

Tell us the part number, I want to look it up and see if it actually comes with the prop adapter and mount. As stated some don't. HK have no reason to take it out of the box, infact it adds more time for the warehouse guys to take it out? So I'm a bit confused.

My experience, like you will particularly care as you are obviously pretty peeved off right now is as with many others, Great customer service. I've never had a problem, not even with refunds and certainly never with email. What time was it when you contacted them (their time).

Ira NZ, apparently if the water is wet when someone was expecting it to be dry, the sky will fall and whilst fire is bad, beer is good

Mark
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Jan 15, 2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: napster is bad as well. LOL
Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:05 AM
Dangerous with CA
B'ham, AL
Joined Sep 2008
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcv6 View Post
no offence, but i love the way people get one bad part in thousands of dollars and heaps of orders and it's straight to the forum and straight for the throat.

Tell us the part number, i want to look it up and see if it actually comes with the prop adapter and mount. As stated some don't. Hk have no reason to take it out of the box, infact it adds more time for the warehouse guys to take it out? So i'm a bit confused.

My experience, like you will particularly care as you are obviously pretty peeved off right now is as with many others, great customer service. I've never had a problem, not even with refunds and certainly never with email. What time was it when you contacted them (their time).

Ira nz, apparently if the water is wet when someone was expecting it to be dry, the sky will fall and whilst fire is bad, beer is good

mark
+1 :d
AtTheMet is offline Find More Posts by AtTheMet
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:03 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
Also water is wet, the sky is blue(Unless it's cloudy) and fire hurts.

Is the motor supposed to come with mounting hardware? Some don't.

Yes it is and what makes me upset is not that they forgot to include it but that they have ignored all my emails. Yes I know their low prices come at a price so when I got a motor that didn't last over 2 flights I didn't say anything. Just because they have cheap prices it doesn't mean they should have such terrible customer service. Today I finally got a reply and they are telling me to take a picture of the box and it's contents. It was a week ago!!!! Why didn't they write back right away and tell me this? Besides how does a picture prove they forgot to put some thing in? I always loved their products and great prices and all I am doing is warning you guys that if you have a problem don't expect them to take care of it, just write it off. I sent 5 emails during the week so it doesn't matter what time I sent them, they would still be there to read but they ignored them rather than sending me a reply! Lastly I bet all of you would be upset too if you paid extra for express shipping then you couldn't use what you bought because half of it wasn't there so stop coming off like you expect this kind of treatment and it wouldn't bother you.
Last edited by raz; Jan 15, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:06 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Here is the link to the motor and you can clearly see the hardware. I have bought 5 of these and every one has come with the hardware except this last one.

http://unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBI...idProduct=5113
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:36 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,637 Posts
I have had great luck with them, but I know what I am getting and know who I am dealing with. For the $16 for that motor I would just go on about my day.

I just outfitted 4 planes for what it would cost me to do one if I bought the electrics at the LHS. I do buy all my planes local, but electrics are just too crazy.

I buy from HK knowing that they are the bottom of the bucket, but the stuff I have gotten just works, so if something comes in missing something it is just part of the experence of saving money dealing with HK. You want it right the first time every time just go to your LHS and buy a like motor for twice the price or more and you will be happy.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
I have always had good luck with them too and I'm not knocking their products, there products are very good for the money, it's their lack of customer service that is upsetting. Let's see if you are still so understanding when you get 1/2 of what you paid for and you paid extra for express shipping and they totally ignore you, I bet you'll be singing a different tune when it's YOUR money. I'm out over $30.00 now for a motor that can't be used. Also you guys are forgetting they are a major advertiser here (look at the top of the page!) so they are not a fly by night place that you are taking a chance on so they should have better customer service.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:26 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,052 Posts
Raz, I know you're upset but you should adjust your frame of mind a little bit. It will make you a happier person.

So.. it's a $15 motor, roughly equivelent to a Park 480 which is $70... And you've bought 5 of them.. So you've saved roughly $275 over buying Eflite... Just chuck it in the bin and order another. Heck order 2 more since you seem to like them, keep one in the tool box as a spare.

Hobby King has it's place. You have to have the right state of mind to order from them. In the past year I've ordered over $1400 from them. My next order could be a brick in a box and I'd still be way ahead of the game.

I do understand the "time is of the essence" part of the deal.. You're trying to get a plane in the air and you need one part. For me, I wouldn't order from Hobby King in that situation, or like I said I would order 2 or 3 so I could be sure one would be working good.

For the record, I haven't had anything DOA from Hobby King yet. But from what I've read I fully expect it will happen sooner or later. When it does if it's an expensive part I may try and warranty it. If it's a bad $15 motor though it's going in the garbage.

If I had a similar motor I'd stick it in the mail for you, but unfortunately I do not.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:42 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
CyberJay. I know what you're saying but it still does nothing about future problems with them and not just from me. Is everyone just going to say "oh we''l every time their order is missing parts or they have faulty parts? What if it was an expensive item, am I supposed to say oh well then too and would you? I've always loved HK and suggested to them every one I know and it gripes me that they are not treating their customers better.