Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:28 PM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
Discussion
NEW Aeroworks .60 - .90 Extra 300 ARF-QB

Hey all.

I have a power system waiting for an airframe so I've been poking around looking at plane like the ExtremeFlight 58" Extra 300-E, Precision Aerobatics Extra MX, 3D HobbyShop 57" Extra 330SC, and the like.

I came accross this today.

http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=406

I've seen several Aeroworks planes and they are all very high quality. What I don't get is the suggested flying weight of 6-6.5lbs.

I know the PA Extra MX is on the light side at or around 4 lbs. but I've noticed this in the Aeroworks specs before on other planes. Are Aeroworks planes really heavier? Are they measuring the weights differently? What am I missing? Or are the other models building up heavier?

It's a great lookin' plane. I can't wait to see a video of an electric powered version.

ASB32
ASB32 is offline Find More Posts by ASB32
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:33 PM
Like a boss!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2007
1,755 Posts
Didn't see they were doing an Extra 300 in that size - it looks slick!

I have a bunch of Aeroworks planes - love they way the build, love the way they look, love the way they fly. They do, however, typically come in heavier than many planes of the same size - especially planes by the three companies that you mentioned that are typically the lightest in their class. The trade-off for the weight, IMO, is durability and rock-solid construction but they will definitely have a higher cube loading than the other planes that you mentioned (not necessarily good or bad, but just one factor in how a plane flies).

If they say that it's 6-6.5lbs, then it will definitely be 6 -6.5 lbs.
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:00 PM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
I've been very impressed by all the planes I've seen by all the manufactures I listed, and thatís why they are the only ones I know anything about. Iíve been flying PAís so I was hoping to try something different.

Besides the weight of the AW, the cost is a slight drawback but it is a dang good lookiní plane.

Both the EF and PA planes are out of stock and the AW plane isnít in stock yet. That leaves the 3DHS plane that comes with wing bags. There is just no escaping the 3DHS juggernaut.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:03 PM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
BTW- This is the other color. I really like yellow planes but this is a nice change that works just as well for me.

Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:23 PM
Suspended Account
Newmarket,Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
968 Posts
i realy like this NEW Aeroworks Extra!
ededge2002 is offline Find More Posts by ededge2002
Last edited by ededge2002; Jan 15, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:39 PM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,826 Posts
Looks great. I'll have to wonder out to AW and check it out.
I had the 60-90 Extra 260 on electric. It flew nice and looked great, but it was a pound heavier than my other planes in that range. I think they could be made a little lighter. I agree with Ryan, it adds alot to the cube loading.
Nothing wrong with them though.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:56 PM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
What!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ededge2002 View Post
bla bla bla blablablablablabla ANYTHING but 3DHS threads!
I don't really know what to say to this.

I'd hoped to discuss a plane that isn't from 3DHS. Pardon me for touching on a sore spot.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:07 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASB32 View Post
Hey all.

I have a power system waiting for an airframe so I've been poking around looking at plane like the ExtremeFlight 58" Extra 300-E, Precision Aerobatics Extra MX, 3D HobbyShop 57" Extra 330SC, and the like.

I came accross this today.

http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=406

I've seen several Aeroworks planes and they are all very high quality. What I don't get is the suggested flying weight of 6-6.5lbs.

I know the PA Extra MX is on the light side at or around 4 lbs. but I've noticed this in the Aeroworks specs before on other planes. Are Aeroworks planes really heavier? Are they measuring the weights differently? What am I missing? Or are the other models building up heavier?

It's a great lookin' plane. I can't wait to see a video of an electric powered version.

ASB32

Looks nice!
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:24 AM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
Video Posted

Aero-works has a flying video up now.

Its on this page: http://aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=406

Scroll down and it is posted under "New-Flying Video."

My computer doesn't play .wmv very well so I didn't get to see the whole thing but it looks cool.

Later
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:36 AM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
the 3dhs 330 SC will fly circles around that plane.

ive had bad luck with aeroworks planes snaping out of loops and elev pulls.

on a side note that orange color scheme you posted looks Fing Bad A$$!
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:19 PM
Fly DW foamies!
longmont, CO
Joined May 2006
1,285 Posts
i have never flown a aeroworks but they look pretty snappy just like STANG KILLA SS said.
appleflyer is offline Find More Posts by appleflyer
Old Mar 18, 2010, 01:49 PM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
its an inherint trait in alot of short planes. ie the 'fuse length is significantly shorter than its wing span.

we noticed it bad in the 56" wildhare, 58" MX, and 60" aeroworks. all having short fuse between the wings and horiz stab. being overall 4-8" shorter than there wingspan.

most great flying airframes are nearly square. same length as wingspan.
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:03 PM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
Trade Offs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
its an inherint trait in alot of short planes. ie the 'fuse length is significantly shorter than its wing span.

we noticed it bad in the 56" wildhare, 58" MX, and 60" aeroworks. all having short fuse between the wings and horiz stab. being overall 4-8" shorter than there wingspan.

Interesting. Where so many things in plane design are trade offs, I'm curious as to whether there are any advantages to a shorter fuse?

Thanks,

ASB
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:38 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
A shorter fuse should, all else being equal, be lighter than a longer one. A shorter fuse plane can rotate faster on pitch in some cases. You have to be careful about overgeneralizing, because individual designs, if either very well or very poorly developed, can do some very surprising and unexpected things.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 18, 2010, 04:35 PM
It's just a new plane honey!!!
Joined Oct 2008
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post

I have the PA MX 58, no snap outs on mine. Stang sounds like he has been smoking the 3DHS crack pipe. Love the look of the plain. Looking forward to seeing some real flight reports.
Shuedog is offline Find More Posts by Shuedog